Will KSP2 have MacOS support at launch?

7 hours ago, severedsolo said:

It's literally been one day. We don't know anything yet, and I would be very surprised if there was no Linux support considering that ALOT of modders use Linux.

Also, PC does not mean "Windows".

I guess, but usually games will specify the platforms if they are having multiple on PC, I am assuming it is likely that there will be a MacOS and Linux version, but it is being made by another studio, so.

I’m also a Mac user so I’d love to see it. Does anyone know if there’s something screwy going on with apple? It may be a coincidence but I’ve seen two games recently promise Mac support and then either cancel or drag things out with no word on why. Frostpunk was particularly annoying cause they’ve taken a lot of folks money for a Mac release scheduled for last February and aren’t giving refunds. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

One word...

“MAC”

another word...

”Please”

On 8/20/2019 at 2:14 AM, Raptus said:

Third!

Oh damn... I actually hadn't even thought of the possibility that they wouldn't.

Although... this is the one game in existence that would get me to shell out money for a PC.

It would serve one purpose, and one purpose alone.

Yes, this makes me wonder how many months of a Shadow subscription will will have to burn through until...

please ignore the following. Poor editing skills...

Edited by Wallygator

37 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I’m also a Mac user so I’d love to see it. Does anyone know if there’s something screwy going on with apple? It may be a coincidence but I’ve seen two games recently promise Mac support and then either cancel or drag things out with no word on why. Frostpunk was particularly annoying cause they’ve taken a lot of folks money for a Mac release scheduled for last February and aren’t giving refunds. 

About the only thing I can think of on that is the depreciation of OpenGL support in favor or Metal.  If they were working with low-level graphics code it could be an issue - but if they're using a game framework like Unity it shouldn't be.  Other than that - smaller userbase, impression that Macs aren't good for games, that Mac users aren't gamers...

I switched from PC to mac over 10 years ago, when macs went intel. At first, I used to use bootcamp or parallels during my transition period, but soon I abandoned windows completely.

if the worst happens and mac is left out, I guess boot camp can run windows natively well enough for KSP2. 

so I'm a little less worried now.

oh boy I hope KSP2 turns out as good as KSP.

EDIT: upon a little further research, it seems gaming on bootcamp has horrible performance due to excrementsty drivers. So it probably wouldn't be very playable..

Edited by xjames

18 hours ago, xjames said:

unknown.png

actually you're right. They're not denying it. And the "up in the air" post was actually by another player, so my bad. But I still read this as "no plans for mac/linux for now"

Looking at the specific question, I read it as "will there be a Linux version as well as the already announced Mac and Windows versions".  :) 

As I am not running any windows systems I would definitely require a Mac version as well. 

19 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Would you mind pointing me to that? I've seen a "we can neither confirm nor deny" in the Master thread, but nothing specifically saying no plans.

They should confirm or deny it sooner, rather than later. I have both platforms at home, and I can dual boot... I won't buy it unless there is a Mac version, however.

I currently play KSP 1 on my MacBook Pro, and I love it. I have a Razer Blade gaming laptop which I use for my Oculus (VR functionality would be amazing as well!) but I much prefer playing games like KSP on my Mac (better, bigger screen etc.). Please, please, please make it Mac compatible as well! 

KSP performance on Mac is kind of terrible though. I used to run it on an iMac with Boot Camp on another partition, so I had both versions running on the same hardware. On the Mac side it was a dog, on the Windows side it ran quite well. If they do implement Mac support I hope they'll do a better job of it. Otherwise I do recommend Boot Camp, as much of a drag as it is.

10 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

KSP performance on Mac is kind of terrible though. I used to run it on an iMac with Boot Camp on another partition, so I had both versions running on the same hardware. On the Mac side it was a dog, on the Windows side it ran quite well. If they do implement Mac support I hope they'll do a better job of it. Otherwise I do recommend Boot Camp, as much of a drag as it is.

It runs perfectly well, modded (heavily) on my late 2013 Mac. I'm thinking of replacing my iMac (i7) with an i9, though. I have a PC as well, but the Mac is where I would likely play KSP (and do), and it's dead silent vs my PC.

Just because XBO and PS4 are planned later than Windows, does not say anything about Linux or Mac. Linux and Mac do not need extra certification by the platform operator, and do not require 100% of the UI to be controller friendly.

(There is of course some platform-specific work involved, but if one plans to support more than one platform, one already sets up the project and the CI right from the beginning in a way that platform specific issues do not accumulate.)

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the history of Unity, it would be an absolute slap in the face if the game didn't support MacOS.  The entire point of Unity is to promote cross-platform development.

I'm really hoping KSP2 supports all the current platforms on release day.

+1 for mac support!

On 9/3/2019 at 12:21 PM, pquade said:

Considering the history of Unity, it would be an absolute slap in the face if the game didn't support MacOS.  The entire point of Unity is to promote cross-platform development.

I'm really hoping KSP2 supports all the current platforms on release day.

I have seen some unity games that have dropped mac support for no apparent reason, I hope Star Theory does not do the same.

• 1 month later...

Im a KSP1 Player on a Macbook Pro i find the experiance pretty decent, its CPU Based rather than GPU so (genrally speaking) most macs handle the game pretty well all around. 

Didnt stop me paying £800 for a Blackmagic GPU to get 3fps more though! - oops 

+1 for mac support, im too invested to switch back to windows!  PLEASEEEE!