KSP 2 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Still room for abuse. 
"Hey can I join you?"
"I don't know." 
"I only want to see what you're working on."
"Okay."
[Ninjamaster_123 has joined the build process]
*Ninjamaster_123 proceeds to randomly and quickly add and delete parts before they can be kicked.*
"Hahahahhahahahaha" - Ninjamaster_123

Easy. Add a way to lock someone to viewing only. Or make it so that other people can only "suggest" changes (indicated by partially translucent parts with a green dotted outline for suggested additions, a red dotted outline for suggested deletions, and a yellow dotted outline for suggested changes in the PAW), and the host can accept or ignore those individually, or all at once. 

Edit: Or better yet, have different levels of permissions: 

• Viewing only
  • Suggestions only
  • Full editing
Edited by TBenz

16 hours ago, Kerenatus said:

I'm always talking about the issues related to the being-worked-on craft file my dude, you don't work something on nothing, you work on a file. But since you don't know the basics, i'd leave it here.

I still don't see why two people can't work on it at the same time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you know the basics then please do explain. Like I'm genuinely interested (like actually, no hostilities here) to know why the technical aspect would be so controversial

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I still don't see why two people can't work on it at the same time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you know the basics then please do explain. Like I'm genuinely interested (like actually, no hostilities here) to know why the technical aspect would be so controversial

It is the equivalent of 2 people editing a single word document. Google docs, if you will. You feel the lag in using google docs, but you don't feel the lag in doc. Now imagine using it for the slightly laggy ksp builder mechanism.

Laggy.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:31 AM, Cheif Operations Director said:

You could give people different debug permissions. Also allowing you to revert a save may prevent the consqunces of griefing

The ground hog day rule. Destroy something the server thinks is needed to avoid a later paradox the server reverts you to the spawn point of your current timeline. 

For lessor issues like claiming resources from remote stations the server could allow you to write a top up supply contract and bill you the funds for the contract reward. 

the only talk of multiplayer that i see here, and i highly dislike is the people that want competitive.

just because your in another room with somebody does not mean you need to want to try to kill them, why is everybody everwhere, on every multiplayer discussion for any game like this?

1 hour ago, putnamto said:

the only talk of multiplayer that i see here, and i highly dislike is the people that want competitive.

just because your in another room with somebody does not mean you need to want to try to kill them, why is everybody everwhere, on every multiplayer discussion for any game like this?

Because it's fun.

If we get private servers, me and my friends will probably collaborate on building an interstellar empire, but at some point one of us is going to turn and begin the orbital bombardment, I know it.

6 hours ago, putnamto said:

And just who are you to judge them for that? Not everyone has to play the game the way you want them to. Why do you think BD Armory is so immensely successful?

Edited by Bartybum

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/an-in-depth-conversation-with-the-creator-of-ksp2/

There will be a big multiplayer update in the future.

Is it just me, or does that sound like multiplayer won't be in the game at launch? 

Sounds to me like they will get the core code down for Multiplayer, then release Multiplayer later so that they can release the game in March. 

I'm honestly okay with this. Multiplayer is a big thing that's drawing me in, but I'd be willing to wait and get a singleplayer only game in march, then an update for multiplayer down the road. 

Edited by GoldForest

47 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/an-in-depth-conversation-with-the-creator-of-ksp2/

Is it just me, or does that sound like multiplayer won't be in the game at launch? 

Sounds to me like they will get the core code down for Multiplayer, then release Multiplayer later so that they can release the game in March. 

I'm honestly okay with this. Multiplayer is a big thing that's drawing me in, but I'd be willing to wait and get a singleplayer only game in march, then an update for multiplayer down the road. 

Same - the issue of MP + timewarp is going to take a while to solve, and I'd like to see them not rush that out

5 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Same - the issue of MP + timewarp is going to take a while to solve, and I'd like to see them not rush that out

Sounds like they have a solution for that, as he said he would release multiplayer info at a later date. So we may get a whole KSP loading based on the multiplayer.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

There will be a big multiplayer update in the future.

From the context of the article, I got the feeling that Nate Simpson meant he'll be giving up an update on how multiplayer will look like in the future:

"Q: What are the chances of cross-platform multiplater?"

"A: There will be a big multiplayer update in the future."

4 minutes ago, Yakuzi said:

From the context of the article, I got the feeling that Nate Simpson meant he'll be giving up an update on how multiplayer will look like in the future:

Sounds to me more like the feature will be added in a future update to KSP 2. 

Just now, GoldForest said:

Sounds to me more like the feature will be added in a future update to KSP 2. 

I think it's a matter of interpretation. Perhaps what he means is that multiplayer will be added into the stock game, but more features will be added in a future update.

2 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

I think it's a matter of interpretation. Perhaps what he means is that multiplayer will be added into the stock game, but more features will be added in a future update.

I can see that, but why call it a massive update? Sounds to me like a whole update will just be based on the multiplayer which I take as it wont be at launch, but will get added in later down the road.

I would love to have working multiplayer st launch, but if they need to put it on the back burner until after launch, that's fine by me.

I'd rather have a working multiplayer than a multiplayer that got no love and needs constant hotfixes or a big huge update to make it fun/playable.

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

I can see that, but why call it a massive update? Sounds to me like a whole update will just be based on the multiplayer which I take as it wont be at launch, but will get added in later down the road.

I would love to have working multiplayer st launch, but if they need to put it on the back burner until after launch, that's fine by me.

I'd rather have a working multiplayer than a multiplayer that got no love and needs constant hotfixes or a big huge update to make it fun/playable.

Yes, but if what your saying is true, wouldn't squad and star theory say something to that effect in other places like the FAQ?

An all-new architecture underlies Kerbal Space Program 2, enabling increased moddability and the long-awaited arrival of multiplayer. We look forward to revealing more about the ways you'll share your Kerbal journey with friends at a later time.

Yes! In our interview with Star Theory, creative director Nate Simpson explained that—while they weren't ready to provide any actual details about how multiplayer would work—"it is true to the spirit of the original Kerbal Space Program".  (https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-release-date-multiplayer-everything-we-know/)

as well as deliver on the long-requested addition of multiplayer (https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/game/kerbal-space-program-2/)

Nowhere does it say it will be added in second update. Then again, it could have been originally wanted to be added in, but now it will be added in a later update, but why a change this late in the game?

4 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

Yes, but if what your saying is true, wouldn't squad and star theory say something to that effect in other places like the FAQ?

An all-new architecture underlies Kerbal Space Program 2, enabling increased moddability and the long-awaited arrival of multiplayer. We look forward to revealing more about the ways you'll share your Kerbal journey with friends at a later time.

Yes! In our interview with Star Theory, creative director Nate Simpson explained that—while they weren't ready to provide any actual details about how multiplayer would work—"it is true to the spirit of the original Kerbal Space Program".  (https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-release-date-multiplayer-everything-we-know/)

as well as deliver on the long-requested addition of multiplayer (https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/game/kerbal-space-program-2/)

Nowhere does it say it will be added in second update. Then again, it could have been originally wanted to be added in, but now it will be added in a later update, but why a change this late in the game?

Tbh, it doesn't say it will be in at launch. They just say KSP 2 will have Multiplayer. 

But everyone at Squad and Star Theory are being tight lipped about any details. 

Hopefully they start releasing details once they are back from Gamescon, which I feel they will. We haven't gotten any info because, 

1) There's no place for the KSP 2 info yet, Squad has confirmed a major upgrade/update to the forums is coming to add KSP 2 its very own sections.

2) There's no one at Star Theory to give us info because they are all at Gamescon.

3) The staff probably need to be given staff titles for the forums as well. I wouldn't doubt it if some of them have been watching the chaos on this forum, or even participated in the threads themselves. 

1 hour ago, Yakuzi said:

As well as:

How will multiplayer mode handle timewarp? Will the sessions be server-based or peer-to-peer?

We have lots of exciting things to talk about around multiplayer at a later date.

They're saying they will have more information later, not that they're pushing it into a later patch.

7 hours ago, Bartybum said:

The timewarp problem was already resolved in Luna Multiplayer. They simply need to use the same subspace method.   IF a docking port is currently occupied in another subspace, then you can't dock to it, to keep from causing an unexpected disaster. As for the others' comments about griefing.. This will most likely be cooperative play between friends that you invite, so griefing won't really be a thing... I mean ...unless that's your plan for the server in the first place.. lol... I played MANY hours in Luna Multiplayer cooperative, never got griefed once.  We were too busy building space stations, extraplanetary bases, and communication relays.

Edited by Talavar

7 hours ago, razark said:

As well as:

They're saying they will have more information later, not that they're pushing it into a later patch.

Yes they need some mystery to accelerate the hype train to light speed.

7 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

Yes they need some mystery to accelerate the hype train to light speed.

Or they haven't figured out exactly how they're doing it, or how to explain what (and why) they're doing it the way they are.

I have no idea how the devs are going to work out multiplayer, but knowing that the company behind the devs (Take Two) is well known for adding micro-transactions everywhere, I "think" that it is possible for Take Two to make Multiplayer a $25 DLC.

I will be very disappointed if that happens:(

Well lets see.

Fallout(technicaly twice now) the Sims and Sim City. Also technicly all points buliten way back.

All originated as single player  games that went multiplayer..... 

So obviously we have nothing to worry about....

To be fair this is not any of the above...yet

That said one things will make me say nope.

Manditory online conection required.

mglr

Edited by [email protected]

On 8/23/2019 at 6:16 AM, GoldForest said:

"Hey can I join you?"

Well for a game like this the only people who would be able to send me a message like that that i would even see would be on my friends list.

And seriously if the only way you could play was on manditory open servers i would not be there in the first place.

Edited by [email protected]