KSP 2 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

I'm excited of ksp 2 but I have some troubles as of multiplayer for ksp on Xbox as it probably won't run smoothly or ksp 2 having issue with crossplay of Xbox and Pc

as there are things to hope for those things may be too high like a plane flying in the sky 

13 hours ago, Atomic_ball said:

I'm excited of ksp 2 but I have some troubles as of multiplayer for ksp on Xbox as it probably won't run smoothly or ksp 2 having issue with crossplay of Xbox and Pc

as there are things to hope for those things may be too high like a plane flying in the sky 

KSP 2 will be optimized for Xbox and PlayStation. As for cross play, there probably won't be cross play between PC and Xbox or PC and PS4. Xbox and PS4 crossplay, maybe. But PC will remain out of the loop more than likely. 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like the simplest solution should be considered. If you want a revert you lose the time but you get the ship back. That’ll teach you to not make so many frivolous launches lol. I know that could affect certain launch windows though.

Edited by B15hop

8 minutes ago, B15hop said:

I feel like the simplest solution should be considered. If you want a revert you lose the time but you get the ship back. That’ll teach you to not make so many frivolous launches lol. I know that could affect certain launch windows though.

Works for a single player - but what if there's a dozen players in the world?  Can any one of them revert the entire world at any time?

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Works for a single player - but what if there's a dozen players in the world?  Can any one of them revert the entire world at any time?

Those people are exactly who it wouldn’t affect. Did you even read my post? There are limitations to the revert function as it is. You can only revert your own things for example. You can only revert your current flight. Once you go to the tracking station or start building something else you can’t revert that last flight anymore. So I still think it could apply to multiplayer in a simplistic fashion. Don’t step away from a project if you’re not absolutely dedicated to it. Otherwise you lose the revert option.

1 hour ago, B15hop said:

Those people are exactly who it wouldn’t affect. Did you even read my post? There are limitations to the revert function as it is. You can only revert your own things for example. You can only revert your current flight. Once you go to the tracking station or start building something else you can’t revert that last flight anymore. So I still think it could apply to multiplayer in a simplistic fashion. Don’t step away from a project if you’re not absolutely dedicated to it. Otherwise you lose the revert option.

Ok, so now they're out of sync with the rest of the world as they've reverted, while the rest of the world has kept playing.  How are you planning on catching up?  If they fly up to dock to a station, and in the interim someone else has docked to that same port in the future, what happens?

Or is 'revert' simply a synonym for 'delete', and you have to do the new launch at the new time?

Lol i think multiplayer is a great idea been wanting it for years. For those who dont like the idea of multiplayer 2 things:

1: to bad

2: dont play multiplayer play single player. pretty simple huh? (You have absolutely no argument now )

Me and my friends are going to enjoy every single minute of multiplayer. You know its funny when i was asking about multiplayer in KSP1 I got all these reply's like "I should just deal with it" that KSP will NEVER have multiplayer. (Alot of the same people back then are commenting in this very thread!) Well guess what? Shoe is on the other foot now....YOU should prolly "Just deal with it!" because its coming baby! Whooo Hoooo! 

tenor.gif?itemid=12672347

Edited by Redneck

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, KSP2 multiplayer will be a friends experience, for up to four players.

Time Warp has been ingeniously and intuitively solved ever since Dark Multiplayer (DMP), and you should seriously give Luna Multiplayer (LMP) a shot. As limited as these mods are, the experience of seeing other players, usually friends, fly missions in your game world is amazing. The orbits map is so much more alive!

Competition is intrinsically constructive, because you want to out-do, not oust, your friends when you see them finishing contracts or placing shiny new Landers on Duna.

As a long time game developer myself, I can also say that multiplayer is hard to add onto a game, but the architectural prerequisites needed for solid MP also make for a much more stable and moddable single player game, because it requires you to keep your data structures and stuff that affects your sim state in consistent locations.

This is extra work is usually too much for small or inexperienced developers, and is a significant cost of change, which is why KSP1 never got multiplayer after it's release.

star.theory however are very experienced! They're the people behind Planetary Annihilation and Monday Night Combat, and their Founder Jonathan Mavor is the technical genius behind Total Annihilation, Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander - each a seminal game that pushed the technical envelope and was built with the future in mind. Moddable, extensible, large scale, and extremely robust.

Re: Griefing - I assume ship controls will be lockable, which is easy to implement and done in several multiplayer mods already.

Under this assumption, griefing at the very least requires you to design and build a mission, and fly it, rendezvous and all,  to do any damage. This is not compatible with the griefer mindset, which is an instant gratification, destructive mindset. 

Edited by Thygrrr

I just had vision of a huge colony fleet making +20 min departure burn for Jool or nearby star. Even with max. 4 people it would be quite interesting to create optimal burns for simultaneous departure of different types of vessels if you would have to keep at certain distance (2-5 km) from each other for the duration of the whole flight.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:15 AM, Thygrrr said:

Under this assumption, griefing at the very least requires you to design and build a mission, and fly it, rendezvous and all,  to do any damage.

Add couple of small tugs trying to defend your colony fleet and you have nice sci-fi drama of civilians versus evil A.I. space combat.

Addendum: kOS controlled guided missiles against the Griefers doing suicide burns.

Edited by Lathari

On 11/5/2019 at 8:15 PM, Thygrrr said:

From what I understand, KSP2 multiplayer will be a friends experience, for up to four players.

Time Warp has been ingeniously and intuitively solved ever since Dark Multiplayer (DMP), and you should seriously give Luna Multiplayer (LMP) a shot. As limited as these mods are, the experience of seeing other players, usually friends, fly missions in your game world is amazing. The orbits map is so much more alive!

Competition is intrinsically constructive, because you want to out-do, not oust, your friends when you see them finishing contracts or placing shiny new Landers on Duna.

As a long time game developer myself, I can also say that multiplayer is hard to add onto a game, but the architectural prerequisites needed for solid MP also make for a much more stable and moddable single player game, because it requires you to keep your data structures and stuff that affects your sim state in consistent locations.

This is extra work is usually too much for small or inexperienced developers, and is a significant cost of change, which is why KSP1 never got multiplayer after it's release.

star.theory however are very experienced! They're the people behind Planetary Annihilation and Monday Night Combat, and their Founder Jonathan Mavor is the technical genius behind Total Annihilation, Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander - each a seminal game that pushed the technical envelope and was built with the future in mind. Moddable, extensible, large scale, and extremely robust.

Re: Griefing - I assume ship controls will be lockable, which is easy to implement and done in several multiplayer mods already.

Under this assumption, griefing at the very least requires you to design and build a mission, and fly it, rendezvous and all,  to do any damage. This is not compatible with the griefer mindset, which is an instant gratification, destructive mindset. 

Why just 4?

also begs the question will we have different docking systems in KSP2?

always seemed odd the ships merged to one but not in a very structural way. I wonder if we’ll have docking that is softer less structural again, then maybe two steps up from there being stowed for other craft in cargo bays. Plus construction than embeds the parts into the main craft.

Probably 4 players max because of console computing power. Could but doesn't have to be unlocked for PC.

I really hope this ships on PC first.

That said, 4 players is PLENTY. I barely get two together for LunaMultiplayer. :)

Edited by Thygrrr

On 11/9/2019 at 5:31 AM, Thygrrr said:

Probably 4 players max because of console computing power. Could but doesn't have to be unlocked for PC.

I really hope this ships on PC first.

That said, 4 players is PLENTY. I barely get two together for LunaMultiplayer. :)

What evidence do you have that they are going to limit the player cap just because hardware? 

And if we're just going to assume because of hardware limitations, I'd say 8 players will be the cap. The Xbox one X is more than powerful enough for 8 players to comfortably play together, especially if they have dedicated servers. 

As for PC cap, there will absolutely be none, I can almost guarantee you that. If they allow for custom servers, you can bet anything that people will make the most powerful servers they can to host 100 players.

KSP is about no limits, and Star Theory knows that. I don't see them placing any limits on KSP 2. If the consoles get limited, it will probably be Microsoft or Sony that forces it upon Star Theory. 

The game runs like cheeks right now even on my i7-8068k, I don't consider the Xbox version even remotely playable, other than for a few basic launches. Just as I say they are going to have much better performance in KSP 2 than KSP 1, I also say we can't expect it to run 4x faster.

And that means for consoles, to pass CERTIFICATION, the game still needs to run at a decent frame rate in most scenarios, especially in multi player because that service actually costs extra on most console platforms.

The people behind star theory are known to make engines and games that are well-architected and scalable, but in one of the articles/videos, star theory literally said it's for "up to 4 friends". I'll try to find that video. :)

Of course this is likely to change.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:31 AM, Thygrrr said:

Knowing people around here, you will see announces for parties with 8 or 16 Luna sessions os KSP1 die hards just to brag about! :D

1 hour ago, Adjie said:

How will Time Warp work, then?

I have some ideas, but I don't have the slightest idea if these stunts are applicable.

If more than one vessel are on the same Reference Frame (in KSP terms, under the same physics range of each other), you need to set the same Time Warp for all of them, or not allow any warp.

When the players are not on the same Reference Frame, they are essentially "on rails" to each other. So player "A" can time warp itself, as the other Players will receive his events "slowed" to fit the observable events in their Reference Frame.

The problem with this stunt is how to sync clocks on each computer's physics engine when one craft enters the Reference Frame of another when the timewarps of the involved crafts would need to sync and match.

The way other mods do warps is pretty simple and ingenious.

As soon as you hit that warp button, you get your own time bubble. Everything on rails is directly visible and interactive there, and can even be updated from the past by other players. There is a question what will happen to stuff that will be changed in the future, but that generally isn't an issue either - just flag a craft that it has future maneuvers done to it; or override the future with the past changes - both make sense, and players prefer one or the other.

You can click a button to catch up (fast forward) your time to another player's time bubble if it is in the future from your vantage point. (no reverse time travel - that's the magic, meaning players will always coalesce roughly around the same future time line)

Just try it. It's stupendously intuitive even in older mods like DarkMultiplayer.

Edited by Thygrrr

14 hours ago, Lisias said:

I have some ideas, but I don't have the slightest idea if these stunts are applicable.

If more than one vessel are on the same Reference Frame (in KSP terms, under the same physics range of each other), you need to set the same Time Warp for all of them, or not allow any warp.

When the players are not on the same Reference Frame, they are essentially "on rails" to each other. So player "A" can time warp itself, as the other Players will receive his events "slowed" to fit the observable events in their Reference Frame.

The problem with this stunt is how to sync clocks on each computer's physics engine when one craft enters the Reference Frame of another when the timewarps of the involved crafts would need to sync and match.

Ok... That will surely require a lot of CPU processing, cores, threads, RAM, etc. if your multiplayer server is packed full of players. That means it'll be hard to create a internet server, so if the KSP 2 developers are clever enough, they could provide that feature but you can choose between intranet and internet.

That way, lots of players won't just join randomly if you choose the intranet option, but if you want to play with a friend outside of your network, you will have to choose the internet option, which has a probability that someone mistypes someone else's address and joins your server.

48 minutes ago, Adjie said:

Ok... That will surely require a lot of CPU processing, cores, threads, RAM, etc. if your multiplayer server is packed full of players. 

Not necessarily. The multiplayer will have DRM, so it will not be (easily) hackable. So the Server can trust the data it receives from client, and so each machine will handle their crafts. The Server will need "only" to synchronise the event chain from the different time warps to the other clients.

Again, this stunt only applies when no player are on physics range from another. Once two or more players "share" a reference frame, things became hairy pretty fast. 

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned Autocompletes.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 11:00 PM, mattinoz said:

Why just 4?

tbf I don't have *any* friends that play ksp...

though I know what you mean, would be super nice for community challenges (especially of the air combat variety) for more than 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, I just realized something. So, here's the scenario:
2 crafts are outside each other's physics range.
Craft A timewarps for 5 years.
After time warp finishes, Craft A does a maneuver
Craft B is in a different in-game time than Craft A(behind, to be accurate). It approaches Craft A's physics range and destroys Craft A before Craft A finishes timewarping in the in-game time.
The server (or player, or something, depending on how the KSP2 team codes it) realizes that Craft A shouldn't have able to complete the timewarp.
How will the server handle it? Will it just crash?

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, DNKKING said:

Quelle sera la limite de joueurs ?

Aucune idee si les devs ont répondu à cela.
Cependant, basé sur les autres jeux Multi-joueurs (Wui ne sont pas des MMOs ou "MMO wanna-be", j'estimerais de le maximum de 4 à 8.

Edited by Francois424