KSP 2 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Yeah, have fun with timewarp.  "I wanna go to Eeloo, but the transfer window is in 8 months and the trip there takes 3 and a half years and Player_X wants to go to the Mun tomorrow and Player_Y is trying to do a grand tour in parallel and Player_Z is driving a rover halfway across Eve because his rescue lander overshot.  Gonna be a loooooooong wait."

Edited by RoninFrog

5 hours ago, MunsterIII said:

Yeah, have fun with timewarp.  "I wanna go to Eeloo, but the transfer window is in 8 months and the trip there takes 3 and a half years and Player_X wants to go to the Mun tomorrow and Player_Y is trying to do a grand tour in parallel and Player_Z is driving a rover halfway across Eve because his rescue lander overshot.  Gonna be a loooooooong wait."

:confused:oh good, this again.

Well those two players aren't in physics range clearly... so time warp doesn't matter. and they're not exactly playing together so re-sync is going to matter. As has been discussed a million times before, there are games with solutions to this, like Stellaris, and there are a few other options that can be used to - especially as multiplayer is likely to be between friends who are actually going to play *together* as opposed to simply playing in the same solar system.

On 1/5/2020 at 2:31 PM, MunsterIII said:

Actually should be a very short wait as multi-player data syncing in those cases is non-critical to current player environment so could be backgrounded. The only roadblock will be bundling your own data. It's not like you can casually bumble into another players zone in KSP.

Just now, Xd the great said:

I wonder what will happen if I crash a missile into a contraption that my friends are flying...

Well more direct syncing services would have kicked in minutes before it happened for one.

• 2 weeks later...

To all those who believe MP will become a PVP whine fest for never satisfied 9 year old COD players. Take. A. Chill Pill. Your complaints are the ones filling up this thread. I cannot wait to play KSP and build space stations and moonbases with my friends.

I hope MP is done as simple as possible. Dedicated and private Servers. Warping will need hosts permission otherwise disabled entirely. It sucks but that is the best solution that I believe to be feasible. 

Dedicated public servers for those who want a fun, and yes, chaotic quick experience. Here you may meet like minded people or already have KSP friends to jump into private password protected servers for more “hardcore” gameplay. 

I cannot wait!

Fish

On 1/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, Fishe1 said:

To all those who believe MP will become a PVP whine fest for never satisfied 9 year old COD players. Take. A. Chill Pill. Your complaints are the ones filling up this thread. I cannot wait to play KSP and build space stations and moonbases with my friends.

I hope MP is done as simple as possible. Dedicated and private Servers. Warping will need hosts permission otherwise disabled entirely. It sucks but that is the best solution that I believe to be feasible. 

Dedicated public servers for those who want a fun, and yes, chaotic quick experience. Here you may meet like minded people or already have KSP friends to jump into private password protected servers for more “hardcore” gameplay. 

I cannot wait!

Fish

I think we all need to take a few steps back and go back to the basics. i for one would love to see this implemented so i can fly around with friends and have fun. sure chaos may ensue and summoning of a black hole or some other random apocalypse may occur, but were all here to challenge ourselfs to see if we can push these spaceplanes, ufo's, and other contraptions beyond their breaking point and or voiding their warranties.

27 minutes ago, MDB-YT said:

Space race idea is the thing that is the best to me. 

im looking forward to a new BD armory and people start on different planets or different parts of the planet with the goal of nuking each others colonies to oblivion until only one person/team remains :D

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

im looking forward to a new BD armory and people start on different planets or different parts of the planet with the goal of nuking each others colonies to oblivion until only one person/team remains :D

Star.Theory already released that game and I'm not even joking, search "Planetary Annihilation" is one of their games as Uber Entertainment

7 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Star.Theory already released that game and I'm not even joking, search "Planetary Annihilation" is one of their games as Uber Entertainment

i know, now imagine building the individual rockets and playing it.

3 words...

nuclear carpet bombs

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm new player just starting playing and modding KSP. Previously I have played quite a loot in Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

Recently I started to experimenting with extended cockpits modes (not using main map/view) and I think this is the area where Multiplayer also would be great.
For example landing on some moons/atmospheric planets:

1. One player controls main engine and thrusters for descent -> in case of atmospheric/above 1G planets it might be quite challenging

2. Second player is watching and plotting orbital trajectory, constantly updating first player about necessary maneuvers

3. Third player is monitoring descent and checking terrain for landing.

4. Other players: engines/power plant monitoring and real time tuning (after all: we are talking about interplanetary voyages), collecting and analyzing science samples and so.

In such scenario there should be no issue about time wrap: captain of the ship decides when to use this feature.

This kind of multiplayer is basically: one player = one Kerbin, using mostly first person (or First Kerbin :) ) perspective in cooperation :)

Edited by deathrider

I don't know what manner in which you guys are discussing how mods will work, but I'm thinking my ideal method of handling mods in servers (depending on how KSP2 modding works in single player) is that only a certain amount of mods are allowed by each server. All are required for accurate multiplayer.

I hope CKAN or something similar is built in to KSP2 for automatic server modlist matching.

Edited by LittleBitMore
Clarification

On 2/14/2020 at 5:10 AM, LittleBitMore said:

I don't know how you guys are discussing how mods will work, but I'm thinking my ideal method of handling mods in servers (depending on how KSP2 modding works in single player) is that only a certain amount of mods are allowed by each server. All are required for accurate multiplayer.

I hope CKAN or something similar is built in to KSP2 for automatic server modlist matching.

Do it like Factorio does it. Have your computer automatically temporarily download the required mods.

18 hours ago, EnderKid2 said:

Do it like Factorio does it. Have your computer automatically temporarily download the required mods.

That would require a much more integrated mod system than KSP1 has.  Which might be a good thing.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:18 AM, Loskene said:

There'll have to be some sort of server control or vote system for timewarp but I don't know how you'll do rolling back time to revert to VAB. How does the multiplayer mod for KSP1 handle that?

You're stuck in 2012! Voting is a bad idea, just terrible. Everyone votes 100,000x warp and your lander warps through the Mun and slams into the Sun. Haven't you heard of the countless KSP 1 multiplayer mods that use better systems?

5 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Everyone votes 100,000x warp and your lander warps through the Mun and slams into the Sun.

Well, then that would be your own fault for voting for such a high timewarp.  Everyone votes, and the lowest vote wins.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I never said the lander voted 100,000x, or voted at all.

Well, you said:

10 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Everyone votes

So, I guess I mistook that for you meaning everyone, not everyone except for one player.  My mistake.

Just now, razark said:

Well, you said:

So, I guess I mistook that for you meaning everyone, not everyone except for one player.  My mistake.

My bad. Shoulda made that more clear. Either way, everyone using the same time warp is a terrible idea. Not to mention someone could create lots of accounts to force the server into ridiculous timewarps.