KSP 2 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Im more foxised on the massive multiplayer aspect (the devs never said it would be a mmo but a lot of what has been revealed makes me infer it will be along those lines).

Honestly nothing pointed towards that, and having more than a small number of organized player would require a complete overhaul of every gameplay mechanic.

5 hours ago, Redneck said:

... But hey we got planet/part revamps...

The planet revamps were exceptionally overdue, the part revamps were also overdue but not as much, the art style was completely off the rails prior.

I'm not sure why you directed the rest of this message at me though, because I didn't say anything against LMP, I've been advocating for LMP's handling of time warp this entire time.

3 hours ago, Master39 said:

Honestly nothing pointed towards that, and having more than a small number of organized player would require a complete overhaul of every gameplay mechanic.

Actually, there is one thing as of recent that would suggest this. I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure I heard it in the most recent podcast. They mentioned Kerbals having emotes you could do to signal other players in multiplayer. I can't really think of why they'd be adding that... I'll go looking for it in the morning. My track record for memory isn't totally reliable, so maybe I'm misremembering it, but I swore I heard it not too long ago.

26 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

Actually, there is one thing as of recent that would suggest this. I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure I heard it in the most recent podcast. They mentioned Kerbals having emotes you could do to signal other players in multiplayer. I can't really think of why they'd be adding that... I'll go looking for it in the morning. My track record for memory isn't totally reliable, so maybe I'm misremembering it, but I swore I heard it not too long ago.

Yep, they said that in the last interview, and they also talked about the ability to paint the parts being introduced to help distinguish between player in multi. But that doesn't mean MMO, not even close.

Most coop games have features like that.

The way I saw it, while it may be doubtful KSP2 would be a full fledged MMO due to the need for company maintained servers and overhead, nothing would prevent private servers maintained by the players. Many games use the private server method for multiplayer and I am leaning towards that being the case with KSP2. I am definitely wondering what the player capacity would be. 8? 16? 64?

Of course until devs are more forthcoming we won't know for sure how it will be. I am interested in your take  @PlutoISaPlanet definitely and await your theories. :grin:

5 hours ago, Master39 said:

Most coop games have features like that.

Is that the case? I haven't encountered that feature in many non-MMO(or subset) games, co-op or otherwise. Portal 2 and Space Engineers are the only two I can think of.

Edited by Missingno200
Added "non-MMO".

1 hour ago, Missingno200 said:

Is that the case? I haven't encountered that feature in many non-MMO(or subset) games, co-op or otherwise. Portal 2 and Space Engineers are the only two I can think of.

This feature is in a lot of games where you can interact with other humans. So the existence of taunts/emotes doesn't really give any insight on the scale of multiplayer.

There are taunts in "couch games"/"split screen games" like Super Smash Bros, emotes/taunts in COOP/online games like Overcooked. Then there are also emotes in a bunch of MMO games as well, from Runescape from decades ago to more recent stuff like Fortnite. 

So I wouldn't read too much into such a feature being included beyond it being included and being awesome :cool:

5 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

There are many things that signal that the games multiplayer will be more massive than many think, I will be back on later today to discuss it more in depth.

What sorta of "signals" are you referring to?

I've been scouring for breadcrumbs on just how the thing will work haha.

Im back!

The following will be bullet points with little descriptions of the signals I talked about. They are in no order, and some are evidence while some are more speculative.

1. Resource trading and management has been confirmed in ksp 2. This means we will be able to trade with other players- a indication of large scale multiplayer.

2. All variations of the ksc are large, and have multiple launch pads. We also know there are multiple ksc's.

3. Multiplayer is kept unwraps for good reason. If it was just co-op, it would not be such a safe gaurded secret. This does not mean that the multiplayer is not large scale, but I adress this in my final point.

4 (final opinion). 

This game is very large, and considering the fact we will be trading with players and interacting with players in the many star sytsems of ksp 2 leads me to believe the multiplayer will be large scale. How large? Maybe hundreds of players. How would this work? It is quite simple!

Note- This only applies to the multiplayer aspects of the game 

The game will show other players bases on celestial bodies and in orbit. You can interact and trade with these bases. Their may even be a freinds system. I know some of this seems like a stretch, but if you think about it, it is very much in tune with reality.

On 7/15/2021 at 2:56 AM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Maybe hundreds of players.

I don't quite know how to feel about your vision of multiplayer. On one hand, it looks awesome, but on the other hand, some greedy executive from Private Division might pressure in micro-transactions post-release...

19 minutes ago, EchoEkhi said:

I don't quite know how to feel about your vision of multiplayer. On one hand, it looks awesome, but on the other hand, some greedy executive from Private Division might pressure in micro-transactions post-release...

They might. Honestly, as long as they do not force micro transactions on us I would be fine. I believe that Take 2 has BIG plans for this game. Does that involve microtransactions, we will just have to wait and see.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:07 AM, Missingno200 said:

The planet revamps were exceptionally overdue, the part revamps were also overdue but not as much, the art style was completely off the rails prior.

I'm not sure why you directed the rest of this message at me though, because I didn't say anything against LMP, I've been advocating for LMP's handling of time warp this entire time.

I think we saw the emotes in one (or two) of the ksp show and tell videos on youtube!

On 7/14/2021 at 8:56 PM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

1. Resource trading and management has been confirmed in ksp 2. This means we will be able to trade with other players- a indication of large scale multiplayer.

2. All variations of the ksc are large, and have multiple launch pads. We also know there are multiple ksc's.

3. Multiplayer is kept unwraps for good reason. If it was just co-op, it would not be such a safe gaurded secret. This does not mean that the multiplayer is not large scale, but I adress this in my final point.

1. That's vital to collaborate even between just 2 players.
  2. We already have multiple launch sites in KSP1 that's only single player.
  3. They're keeping "secrets" on most gameplay elements, we shouldn't fill every void in knowledge with overhype.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:45 AM, Redneck said:

Yeah......thats all on KSP! But hey we got planet/part revamps and plushie toys <_<

To be fair, the problems you mentioned aren't surface deep bugs that the devs can just patch but instead call for a rewrite of the code, which is a big part of what makes KSP 2 exciting. The devs have a good example of failure modes now and know what to beware of while making the game.

On 7/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

This game is very large, and considering the fact we will be trading with players and interacting with players in the many star sytsems of ksp 2 leads me to believe the multiplayer will be large scale. How large? Maybe hundreds of players. How would this work? It is quite simple!

Ummm... that would be a lot of physics calculations for the server to be constantly aware of... I think you might be getting ahead of yourself.

I'd be amazed if the game could even allow double digits. I get that the physics of the game has been announced to be improved and all but there are limits.

12 hours ago, EchoEkhi said:

The most recent podcast? I thought there were only one! Could you please give a link?

I said most recent just to be absolutely sure I didn't accidentally reference another podcast I wasn't aware about myself, so... no. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, Wubslin said:

People are violent animals. Whether you want them to or not, they'll find a way to kill you with a sepratron unless you specifically bar it from gameplay. Might as well make doing it fun, right?

haha absolutely, people are talking about peace and honesty etc but tbh I think even with small player bases there are gonna be wars too, humans like to war, wer're violent creatures to the core

• 1 month later...

As a sort of "casual" player, I'm curious to know how pausing would work.  I like to progress my game very gradually.  Putting in a few hours here and there, a mission or two, then maybe going a day without opening the game again.  Real life keeps me busy.

Assuming a server that's set up for a "space race" scenario (if MP ends up being like that).  I imagine the easiest way to deal with it is to not worry about it.  Those who have the time to pour tons of hours into the game progress much faster.  And those who can't go more slowly.  This is fine if you trust your team mates (and they too are approaching the game in a more casual style), but it gets more messy if the competition is taken more seriously.  One option that could force equality (that I hope they don't implement) is alloted time slots.  If player A is up to 20 hours, but player B is only at 10 hours, then A has to wait for B to catch up.  This would be more "fair", but a lot more annoying for the long-running players.

Sorry for the translator's English, I don't know why I haven't learned it yet, I'm Brazilian

I had to log in to leave my idea, I don't know if it was talked about before in the topic, but I believe it is very simple to be understood and implemented

Each of us will start in a career mode in kerbin, orbiting the sun, being able to coop with one (or a few) friends who will help us on missions, running them in the field or building rockets

We won't be able to have many friends together in this case, as the time warp in our kerbol system will depend on everyone's approval, nothing that interferes with the progress as we are working together towards the same goals

Meanwhile, other players will be making progress on their own kerbol systems, some starting from scratch, others with as much science as possible. Some accompanied by friends, others on a lonely walk, however, all united by a possibility

Imagine that at a given time, which may be more or less 80~90% of the progress in the kerbol system itself, we acquire a warp engine, just like in startrek, and after this acquisition we can exit our system and explore new things

To do this however, we have to reach the edge of our system, on an escape trajectory from our sun, and when we finally reach the edge, a new world of possibilities opens up before us.

A "places" menu expands on the screen asking us where we want to go

A desert planet, a planet that has 5 moons all close together, a planet obiting a black hole, a gigantic space station, a gigantic diamond comet, a pirate planet, a planet of ancient tribes, a planet with alien life ..... I don't know, where would you go?

Let's say I chose the pirate planet location

After clicking "go" and after a loading screen, we would be sent to a certain point within the pirate planet location (this point would be random the first time, becoming the place where we will always appear after the fold for that system)

And then comes multiplayer, which can be a lot of fun

The pirate planet location covers a relatively small area, and is made up only of a (small) planet and a moon, which is relatively very close.

All players who have reached the edge of their own kerbal system with a spaceship containing a warp engine, after clicking on "Pirate Planet Location" will be able to meet and interact any way they want, without the timewarp option

And what will we all do on this planet? I do not know.

missions we take on npc, commerce, events, races, interactions, resupply (for money, of course), build our own base in an inhospitable location... whatever!!!

To return to our little kerbal planet we just go to the edge of the pirate system and the travel menu opens again!!!

Now imagine being able to get a pass to enter another player's system and live by their rules? (or theirs, if they are in coop)

Anyway, some observations:

The time in our system is "locked" until we return, or if there is a player cooperating there, it continues in real time until we return

The warp motor allows us to travel at high speeds (close to light?) outside our kerbol system, but we don't use this motor when we're at home for some reason that only Jebediah can explain

What happens in the "community places" doesn't interfere with our kerbal system at all, things are rolling there in real time even if we are doing nothing or if we advance a thousand years in our system through the timewarp

Basically it will be two times, and several places
A time that we control in our kerbal system
It is real, uncontrollable time, in community places, which must be small instances with places not too far away, or reachable in a few minutes (as in the persistent universe of star citizen)

Should the career mode with the possibility of going to "community places" be held in any difficulty? I don't know, it should be easy? I don't know either

Can we build our bases on the planets of these community sites? Can we create clans to control? War?

The possibilities are many, but it's a very interesting solution for this game's multiplayer

It would be very similar to what we see in Rick and Morty, which has the Ricks Citadel, the galactic government station, that recreational part ods Jerrys, Blips and Chitz, etc.

But in the case of my idea, players wouldn't have as much freedom to get in and out of other players' kerbal systems as ricks have to come and go wherever they want.

But continuing my idea and wrapping it up for now, it would be fun to join my initial text with Rick and Morty's idea and see several Jebediahs (each with their ID, like C137) across the Kerbal universe lol

Edited by Jupter
I think I sent two posts before, I didn't understand what happened, I edited it to contain everything in one

For multiplayer I hope that there are like two other modes, space race and coop where each player gets a different ksc to start with, in coop mode, the technology is shared but in space race it isn't. I have seen Tape gaming and the beardy penguin do a ksp war series but is ksp used for that? idk.  I hope connecting to play with friends is just like the game MUCK where you just have to send a code to your friend and he just joins you instead of inviting your friend through steam which is for me impossible now due to some wierd steam glitch in my main account that won't let my friend to join, in my alt accounts there are no games except for muck and those kind of free ones. Some others might have the same glitch as me. Some might hav got a copy of ksp from a CD they bought from the physical store, these players can't join multiplayer if it is on steam.

7 hours ago, SSTO Crasher said:

I’m wondering how time warp will work. I have thought about this a lot and every solution I think of cause more problems 

There are 21 pages of discussions on that, you're in for a long read if you want.

TLDR of my opinion: it won't cause problems, and if it does they will manifest in simple pop-ups saying that you can't do something (landing or docking) if you don't catch up with another player.

I really don't think this is going to be anything close to an MMO, Nate Simpson goes on record as saying that the KSC has "four landing pads for four players".

Also,  I can see how you can make time warp work for four players, but I cannot begin to imagine how you could coordinate time warp between hundreds of players.