KSP 2 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

On 2/5/2023 at 2:43 PM, Vl3d said:

A nice video which shows what KSP2 multiplayer could be like.

This would be pretty cool, and since we know it's not just cooperative but competitive, that means it's almost inevitable we will get to see things like this. Thanks for sharing Vl3d.

On 2/5/2023 at 5:43 PM, Vl3d said:

Isn’t this KSP1?   How does this show KSP2 multiplayer? There’s been multi vehicle auto pilots in KSP for years. I’m honestly asking, as I don’t see the connection at all, what relevance does this have to ksp2 mp?

Just now, Gargamel said:

Isn’t this KSP1?   How does this show KSP2 multiplayer? There’s been multi vehicle auto pilots in KSP for years. I’m honestly asking, as I don’t see the connection at all, what relevance does this have to ksp2 mp?

On 2/6/2023 at 12:43 AM, Vl3d said:

It's a cool video of KSP1 with one lander and one rover which look like they're controlled by separate players. I have not seen many of these, it looks similar to how I imagine KSP2 mp would look like.

48 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It's a cool video of KSP1 with one lander and one rover which look like they're controlled by separate players. I have not seen many of these, it looks similar to how I imagine KSP2 mp would look like.

That's not how it looks to me. I see no multiplayer likeness or similarities. Even if mechjeb wasn't mentioned, I'd assume it was mechjeb. 

Or it was a KOS script running the lander while the player drove the rover. 

If anything, this more shows what KSP 2 automation could look like, not multiplayer. 

Now, if it was truly multiplayer inspiring, the rover would crash into the lander as it was landing. :P

Just now, Meatsauce said:

Is the any official news regarding Multiplayer?  

The extent of any official news is:
- It's been the biggest technical challenge during development
- It will coincide with the 1.0 launch of the game
- Players can work for separate space agencies, and they can compete or cooperate with others
- It's very fun

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is literally the entire list so far

Just now, whatsEJstandfor said:

The extent of any official news is:
- It's been the biggest technical challenge during development
- It will coincide with the 1.0 launch of the game
- Players can work for separate space agencies, and they can compete or cooperate with others
- It's very fun

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is literally the entire list so far

I was really hoping they'd give us something to play with as a team at early access. It is the only thing that really interests me at this point, having played KSP1 to the hilt for years.

Can't really justify paying $50 for a game that has less features than KSP1, the latter of which cost $9 for early access iirc. 

Still, it is exciting to finally get an MP, which only interests me from a sandbox perspective. I've been developing for a while, and I know the hurdles, however a lot can be and should have been done in 2 years.  If MP is reportedly very fun, then I have to assume there is a working prototype that they should let us play with on a staging branch. I'd pay $50 bucks for that, bugs and all.

Nevertheless, thanks for the reply.

You know what would be amazing? Building craft with other players in realtime. I got inspired to imagine this after looking at some screenshots of the KSP2 version of the VAB. There's supposed to be a whole new approach to it, with "workspaces" replacing "craft files," so you can work on multiple craft in the same space and instantly see how they'd fit together, how they'd compare, and so on. And wouldn't it be cool to combine that with multiplayer? Just, you working on your craft while your friend is working on theirs, at the same time and in the same "place," and you can both instantly see each other's work, compare it to your own, trade ideas and fool around and show off, etc. :3 I think that'd be fun as heck. It'd be like being a kid and playing Legos with your best friend on the living room carpet again, only more complex and more science-ey! :D

It'd also be cool to instantly, seamlessly work together on a big project. Like, "You work on the science payload, and I'll scroll down and try and find a way to put together enough boosters to actually get it into space!" Stuff like that. :3

Or, you'd be able to instantly check how your multiplayer space station will fit together once it's in orbit, before launching it in separate segments!

I have no idea how plausible this is (though at least you wouldn't have to work with synchronizing physics or time warp :P) but I think it'd be a really cool mechanic. :D

53 minutes ago, Multivac said:

You know what would be amazing? Building craft with other players in realtime. I got inspired to imagine this after looking at some screenshots of the KSP2 version of the VAB. There's supposed to be a whole new approach to it, with "workspaces" replacing "craft files," so you can work on multiple craft in the same space and instantly see how they'd fit together, how they'd compare, and so on. And wouldn't it be cool to combine that with multiplayer? Just, you working on your craft while your friend is working on theirs, at the same time and in the same "place," and you can both instantly see each other's work, compare it to your own, trade ideas and fool around and show off, etc. :3 I think that'd be fun as heck. It'd be like being a kid and playing Legos with your best friend on the living room carpet again, only more complex and more science-ey! :D

It'd also be cool to instantly, seamlessly work together on a big project. Like, "You work on the science payload, and I'll scroll down and try and find a way to put together enough boosters to actually get it into space!" Stuff like that. :3

Or, you'd be able to instantly check how your multiplayer space station will fit together once it's in orbit, before launching it in separate segments!

I have no idea how plausible this is (though at least you wouldn't have to work with synchronizing physics or time warp :P) but I think it'd be a really cool mechanic. :D

Sounds plausible. Nate mentioned that you could send craft and workspaces to your agency coleagues.

4 hours ago, Meatsauce said:

it is exciting to finally get an MP, which only interests me from a sandbox perspective

They have been pretty consistent about MP being a feature they want for 1.0 and that it is no where near ready.  Latest was nothing direct but it won't be out during the Sandbox part of EA.  Most likely the very last thing to be complete before they declare the game 1.0.

1 hour ago, Multivac said:

I don't think you're familiar with humans.

Spoiler: they're not good at cooperation.

1 hour ago, Multivac said:

For instance, humans aren't linked up like you think. They don't share one solid plan in their heads. Until player B has the finished payload, they'll have no idea how many boosters they need to get it to space.

5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I don't think you're familiar with humans.

Spoiler: they're not good at cooperation.

For instance, humans aren't linked up like you think. They don't share one solid plan in their heads. Until player B has the finished payload, they'll have no idea how many boosters they need to get it to space.

I'm mostly imagining playing KSP multiplayer with friends, people I already know, rather than random internet strangers, to clarify. So some degree of cooperation would be likely, and figuring out a plan together would be part of the fun, rather than an obstacle. I mean, obviously you'd be talking by voice on Discord or something (assuming KSP2 won't have a built-in voice chat) while doing this, which would also help.

I probably should have said earlier that that's the kind of scenario I had in mind. :P Yes, obviously working with a stranger you've never met and trying to guess what they're doing with minimal communication would not be fun.

But doing it with someone you know and get along with seems potentially very fun to me, despite, and in part even because of, the challenge you describe. :3 Like I said earlier, makes me imagine playing Legos with a friend as a kid, stuff like that.

And even doing it with strangers - as long as you two first establish that you're on the same page in terms of how you play KSP, and as long as you can trust each other not to grief, could still be fun, and potentially lead to new friendships if anything. :)

Also:

Spoiler

"I don't think you're familiar with humans. Spoiler: they're not good at cooperation."

I mean... are you familiar with the fact that co-op games are a thing? And that lots of humans do, in fact, enjoy playing games together in ways that involve working towards a common goal?.. Also... See: the existence of human society and civilization, which kind of requires at least some bare minimum of cooperation, and is the reason we have nice things like space travel and computer games in the first place... :P

Edited by Multivac

23 hours ago, Meatsauce said:

I was really hoping they'd give us something to play with as a team at early access. It is the only thing that really interests me at this point, having played KSP1 to the hilt for years.

"It's been the biggest technical challenge during development" sounds to me like a feature they're not yet 100% comfortable with, which is the whole point of a gradual EA rollout with features that do work.

Can't really justify paying $50 for a game that has less features than KSP1, the latter of which cost $9 for early access iirc. 

That $9 game was spectacularly less featured than what we're getting now. Based on the sneak peeks, dev diaries and all the rest we know,  if we're using that $9 as a baseline, $50 is going to be a very modest price point given how much further developed we expect the game to be. I'm not saying it is, but calling out 0.18 as the shining example of "wHy Is It So MuCh MoRe ExPeNsIvE" isn't really a sensible comparison. That was somebody's hobby project (and it showed), not the result of a team of professionals trying to give you the best experience possible.

Still, it is exciting to finally get an MP, which only interests me from a sandbox perspective. I've been developing for a while, and I know the hurdles, however a lot can be and should have been done in 2 years.  If MP is reportedly very fun, then I have to assume there is a working prototype that they should let us play with on a staging branch. I'd pay $50 bucks for that, bugs and all.

Ah, but that assumes everyone is like you: reasonable and understanding that the staging branch is unstable and a work in progress. There will be lots of angry outbursts (by email, forum, and bad-advertising public spaces like Facebook) of people complaining their save of 250 hours of playing, that they never backed up despite playing an experimental version, just refused to open after the latest update, etc. It might make a very select group of people happy but create lots of headaches and distractions for the devs, and there's next to nothing in it for Intercept. So, very unlikely to happen.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:43 PM, Vl3d said:

Slight offtopic, but is there a way to disable Reddit embed autoplay? This audio plays every single time I come here.

Edited by Bej Kerman

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Slight offtopic, but is there a way to disable Reddit embed autoplay? This audio plays every single time I come here.

I think you can choose to limit autoplay in your browser's preferences.

Alternative method: post enough messages to get to a new page! :cool:

Edited by Truebadour

10 minutes ago, Monger said:

TBH the top reason why I am looking forward to Multiplayer is because I would like to know how they solve it. That's an incredibly hard task, with no role model. 

I wrote a post above and am entire thread about how it can be solved. You can read that to pass the time.

Edited by Vl3d

3 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I wrote a post above and am entire thread about how it can be solved. You can read that to pass the time.

Having a solution on paper and one that actually runs, is technically sound, has a satisfying user experience, is affordable and  fun, is a very different thing. 

35 minutes ago, Monger said:

Having a solution on paper and one that actually runs, is technically sound, has a satisfying user experience, is affordable and  fun, is a very different thing. 

The most info we have comes from the terrible interview of the KSP2 marketing exec. 

1 hour ago, Monger said:

I would like to know how they solve it.  That's an incredibly hard task 

Nothing too direct, but both what he said and did not say indicates that you're absolutely correct.

I get the impression that they have not yet resigned themselves to the most likely (limited player co-op) and are still plugging away at the problem - but the edges of the eventual solution may be coming into focus. 

I hope T2 and PD management see that they have a very promising franchise on their hands and invest into some serious cloud or private services for global or regional multiplayer servers. The number of concurrent KSP players isn't even that big (it's a hard game), but the financial potential of the franchise and spinoff games is immense.

Edited by Vl3d

32 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I hope T2 and PD management see that they have a very promising franchise on their hands 

I am sure they do. Unfortunately, imho this doesn't make the problem any smaller. Maybe even quite the opposite.

Just now, Monger said:

I am sure they do. Unfortunately, imho this doesn't make the problem any smaller. Maybe even quite the opposite.

They could easily have a casual game that plays off the IP of Kerbal that can be a scifi multiplayer game... But isn't at all KSP. 

KSP themed Minecraft or Diablo or Skyrim or Battlefield - too easy to take something that works as a MP game and slap Kerbal skins on it. 

That is something a different studio or just a part of Intercept could do to extend the IP and profits.