KSP 2 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

I'm beginning to have a real bad feeling about multiplayer, they have barely said anything, and haven't shown footage. I get it is probably hard to develop and they want to generate hype or whatever, but this lack of footage or information makes me fell that ksp2 multiplayer won't be as well made as the rest of the game. If they really felt proud of it there would have been a mention of it, I think multiplayer either won't be on the game at launch, or be more half baked than Fnaf Security breach at launch. I trust Private division to make a great game, I just don't know if they can make great multiplayer.

27 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I'm beginning to have a real bad feeling about multiplayer, they have barely said anything, and haven't shown footage. I get it is probably hard to develop and they want to generate hype or whatever, but this lack of footage or information makes me fell that ksp2 multiplayer won't be as well made as the rest of the game. If they really felt proud of it there would have been a mention of it, I think multiplayer either won't be on the game at launch, or be more half baked than Fnaf Security breach at launch. I trust Private division to make a great game, I just don't know if they can make great multiplayer.

I think that is comes down to balance and play testing -there are a lot of surface level details that have been shown off, such as how things are going to look, or maybe some of the systems that the team is fairly certain will be in the final game or are flexible enough that balance changes won't change the system. But nothing so far about how many intermediary resources there will be in ISRU processing, how punishing life support will be (if it exists at all), or other things that impact the gameplay experience. 

I kind of get that strategy, if I was releasing a platformer and showed off how the character moved around with all their abilities and stuff to a community, I'd probably get a lot of feedback on it as if those are the final choices for the game. Some fraction of this might be helpful, but that's what the play testers are for and the rest of the feedback is just people misunderstanding that everything is changing. If I don't release anything, some people might assume that I don't have the jumping mechanics implemented, but the truth is I'm trying to figure out if I want it to look more like Mario or Celeste jumping. 

If you want some reassurance that systems have been developed (and are being balanced instead of being conceptualized, look at the interview with Shadowzone (I think?) There is mention that the code had to be designed from the ground up with Multiplayer in mind, and that was back in 2019. If the codebase was already being overhauled in 2019, then it has almost certainly been developed by now and is going through iterations to see what should stay or not. 

where is it? plz show some details about actually interesting features!

and why was the release date again delayed now until 2023? why couldn't u just be honest with us from start and tell us its 2023 right away? basically ure just making everyone miserable with these fake release dates...

Edited by Fullmetal Analyst

That title gave me a freaking heart attack!

10 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

and why was the release date again delayed now until 2023? why couldn't u just be honest with us from start and tell us its 2023 right away?

They've remained vague about features like multiplayer on purpose and the date changed from 2020 down to 23' because plans just changed.

2 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

That title gave me a freaking heart attack!

They've remained vague about features like multiplayer on purpose and the date changed from 2020 down to 23' because plans just changed.

but they already knew it was gonna be 2023 when they announced the 2022 release date :/

fiscal year.

when you plan a game you don't just magically drop into 3 extra years of development time, especially not when development is already this far, they must have known how long its gonna take beforehand, at least +- 1 year but not 3 years or more xD

my guess is that we are basically just waiting for the dumb console port the whole time...

4 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

my guess is that we are basically just waiting for the dumb console port the whole time...

Which they stated multiple times I won't be released at the same time.

Here's another one for the "we're surely waiting for that thing I personally don't like" category.

24 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Which they stated multiple times I won't be released at the same time.

Here's another one for the "we're surely waiting for that thing I personally don't like" category.

i know but they cant add features that wont work out on console or they have to dumb them down massively

Edited by Fullmetal Analyst

15 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

i know but they cant add features that wont work out on console or they have to dumb them down massively

Their focus on modding in all their talking, which won't be available on console, tells me otherwise.

6 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

when development is already this far

How far exactly?

It took SQUAD 4 years to get from a playable prototype (0.8 or whatever the first public version was) to 1.0, a.k.a. "full version"

6 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

they must have known how long its gonna take beforehand, at least +- 1 year but not 3 years or more xD

Erm.  No....

They would have an original rough estimate based on what they wanted to include, and how long they think it was likely to take of course, but how long it was 'actually' going to take is always a bit of an unknown.

Also the scope expanded quite a lot,  and 'other stuff' happened, so all original estimates were useless anyway.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:42 PM, Fullmetal Analyst said:

and why was the release date again delayed now until 2023? why couldn't u just be honest with us from start and tell us its 2023 right away? basically ure just making everyone miserable with these fake release dates...

Its ok man, relax.  Things happen! I mean yeah sure it sucks we have had to wait a lot longer for the game, but I think many people here would agree with me when I say I would prefer to play the 2023 version than what could possibly have been the March 2020 one.  The development is in a good spot right now.  Be patient, I know it will be worth it!

I'm quite certain that they're being very deliberate about what pieces of info they release when, and they might have even done small studies to figure out which things generate the most hype compared to other things. I know that the most recent Dev Diary (even in it's "oops the forum ate it but the community still managed to post some portion of it" state) is one of the things that has generated the most hype for me personally since the larger cinematic trailers were being released.

I don't know for sure if that means they're already ramping up, or if it means that that particular dev diary just means more to me personally, and to be honest I'm betting it's that second one.

In any case, the developers probably have at least some idea about how much buzz they want to generate about the game right now, and about how much buzz certain pieces of info will generate, pieces of info about what for all we know could be fully finished features of the game. And yes that includes multiplayer.

To those who say that they'll have to cut multiplayer to make their deadline, first off they didn't make it a deadline they said "no earlier than" IIRC, and even then if you're not a member of the dev team you're speculating with no info, so it could be that multiplayer is ready to go RIGHT NOW but the rest of the game isnt.

In reality, the question of "is multiplayer in KSP 2 what's holding things up" is in a quantum superposition of "all answers are valid and not valid at the same time".
This is because the developers haven't "opened the box that the cat (or in this case, game known as KSP2) was put in", to reference the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment.
And until such time as they do, we'll just be talking in circles about it.
Personally, I find speculating with no data to create a set of initial conditions to be a rather fruitless and unsatisfying endeavor because you might as well have an "i wish it was this way" machine except it doesn't work ever, but that's just my feelings on the matter.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:42 PM, Fullmetal Analyst said:

basically ure just making everyone miserable with these fake release dates..

I'm not miserable... and I think its fair to say most here on the forums aren't either. Infact most people have been chanting "take as long as you need".

Also, you've never posted anything here that's not bashing the devs but rant like they owe you something. It comes off as very entitled, jsyk.

I'm actually curious.

How would it change anything to know more about the game now?  If the devs suddenly opened up the books and told you every detail about every system that currently exists in the game, what changes?

It doesn't change the release date, it doesn't prevent future delays, it doesn't change what actually gets released on whatever that date is, it doesn't give you any more input into the game's development than you have now.

So what does knowing more than the devs have already said gain you?  What do you get out of knowing details about a work in progress that is very likely to change before you ever get a chance to interact with?

8 minutes ago, razark said:

So what does knowing more than the devs have already said gain you?  What do you get out of knowing details about a work in progress that is very likely to change before you ever get a chance to interact with?

lotr-birthday.gif

I check these forums through RSS and the title really fricking got me.

They still owe us updates from multiplayer in KSP1, and you think they're gonna say anything about multiplayer in KSP2? That's probably not coming till like a year after release, if it ever comes, no matter what they've said.

On 9/2/2022 at 6:10 AM, razark said:

How would it change anything to know more about the game now?  If the devs suddenly opened up the books and told you every detail about every system that currently exists in the game, what changes?

It doesn't change the release date, it doesn't prevent future delays, it doesn't change what actually gets released on whatever that date is, it doesn't give you any more input into the game's development than you have now.

Strictly talking about the post content, that is one of the most absurd arguments I have ever encountered online. I would go so far as to call it "an ode to bad marketing, public relations and communication practices". We have truly reached the point in which fans are so chained to the will of developers that they start demanding to be completely ignorant about a project.

What more could we say? I'm sure that for some any info about this game is just unwanted, undervalued baggage that is completely irrelevant. That's why most games have a marketing budget that's bigger than the development costs, right? It's just wasted money?

As for me, personally, I am happy when I see any little scrap of info about this game and I am beyond upset that they are keeping the core design decisions and mechanics secret. In my eyes it's just an awful and cheap strategy to try and dump everything just before launch to "maximize" sales. No community building, no interactive fan feedback regarding the big features, just "here, eat this ultraprocessed scrap that has no nutrients and vitamins and shut up".

"Look at this video which shows barely any progress compared to 2 years ago. Look at this image of a kerbal. We didn't promise you anything, so we don't owe you anything."

And the crowd goes wild. Fine. I'll be the lonely voice on this forum that says it: the marketing for this game sucks!

PS: Devs are great and I fully support their efforts.

Edited by Vl3d

40 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

the marketing for this game sucks!

I'm with you that the marketing could be better. I won't go so far as to say it sucks.

I'm not with you that it's hurting me at all that they're not releasing more than they're releasing. And I'm not even sure it's hurting them. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's helping them.

The biggest mistake they made was telling us too early. They couldn't know in 2019 what was going to happen in 2020 but still it was the biggest mistake.