MrCow

Will KSP2 have DXR support?

Recommended Posts

I, along with alot of other people own a DXR capable GPU (10 or 20 series). I know in the trailer they used DXR, and it looked amazing, so will it have  DXR support to help enhance the beauty of the actual game?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'd need to have KSP2 running on DX12 to use the DXR extension

Which would be good in its own right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoMrBond said:

They'd need to have KSP2 running on DX12 to use the DXR extension

Which would be good in its own right

Is there ray-tracing for unity but not necessarily dxr? or is DX12 in unity?

26 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

Still on Unity

Presumably 2018.3 or newer though

Does this include DX12/DXR or just a generic ray tracing support or just better graphics? What is the significance?

 

28 minutes ago, PolecatEZ said:

Is KSP2 still even on the Unity engine or did they modernize?

I feel like I saw on the forums it was still on unity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrCow said:

Is there ray-tracing for unity but not necessarily dxr? or is DX12 in unity?

Does this include DX12/DXR or just a generic ray tracing support or just better graphics? What is the significance?

Not presently, Unity announced they would be supporting ray-tracing earlier this year but thus far I haven't even even spotted it on their roadmap

There was some activity pointing towards this being under Vulkan's scriptable pipeline support, but even that was pretty tenuous so we really don't know

My hope is for at least Unity 2018.3 so we see PhysX 3.4, .NET/Roslyn upgrade, prefabs/nesting and the terrain system.  2019.1 would be good for the incremental GC too.

As long as they're stepping up from DX9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NoMrBond, Ok thanks, good to know. I'll hope for Unity to save me from my eternal un ray-trayced ksp pit of doom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

you guys going to use any new fangled tech (rtx, vulkan, etc).

Edited by Nuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More overlapping threads have been merged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nuke said:

you guys going to use any new fangled tech (eg title).

It actually makes stuff look better, and considering KSP isn't super fast paced, you can sacrifice some frames. It may not be a crazy upgrade, but it looks nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that the ksp2 team said that they would be utilizing the latest unity version which means that unless they turn it off in a way that mods cannot re-enable it, yes, we will have our rtx cake and eat it too

 

"Throughout 2019 we will make DirectX 12 the default for all new projects. While we will maintain DirectX 11 for the foreseeable future, our primary focus is on improving the performance and feature set of DirectX 12." -Unity Team

 

Sauce

Edited by lk00david
adding source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lk00david said:

I believe that the ksp2 team said that they would be utilizing the latest unity version which means that unless they turn it off in a way that mods cannot re-enable it, yes, we will have our rtx cake and eat it too

 

"Throughout 2019 we will make DirectX 12 the default for all new projects. While we will maintain DirectX 11 for the foreseeable future, our primary focus is on improving the performance and feature set of DirectX 12." -Unity Team

 

Sauce

Just because DX12 will be the default doesn't mean any Unity games will have Raytracing by default. Still up to the developers to enable it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 1:08 PM, NoMrBond said:

Still on Unity

Presumably 2018.3 or newer though

Developers have said it will use the latest Unity version. As the latest is currently 2019.2 and the game is still some many many months away, 2019 I'd dare say will be minimum.

2019.3 Beta currently has RTX.

The last beta release of the 2019 cycle, Unity 2019.3b, is here and it comes packed with new features, improvements, and a completely refreshed interface. Download it to get an early look at these highlights as well as to explore the new Input System, post-processing in the Universal Render Pipeline (formerly LWRP), physics updates, faster in-Editor iteration times, and the debut of ray tracing in Unity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah we didn't have version confirmation at the time but as of the recent developer interviews at Pax West Star Theory was building on Unity 2019.2

Assuming they don't version-freeze and stay current until much closer to release then DXR could well be available (I'm hoping they include the FleX as well as the DXR if they end up using DX12)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given most modern games seem to be on the 'Ray Tracing' wagon, it would in all honesty be silly if they didn't do it. At least as a final once over prior to any release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope if they do that it won't just be RTX; and they allow the DXR fallback to run on a separate GPU. I'm really curious to see how 2X Vega 56 handle KSP2 with 1 as a render device and the other solely tracing rays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I got my new RTX 2080 I am loving the graphics improvement.  I certainly hope they will use the full abilities of the unity engine.  Fingers crossed!

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignorant person here. Is it possible to continuously update the engine with the game or once it's launched is it stuck on that version of unity forever essentially?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Ignorant person here. Is it possible to continuously update the engine with the game or once it's launched is it stuck on that version of unity forever essentially?

Unity upgrades happen all the time to games. KSP 1 has gone through 3 to 5 versions of unity. In fact 1.8.0 brings another one. Unity 2019.2 which is just behind the latest unity release of unity 2019.3. With 2019.2 also comes DX11, since DX9 is no longer supported by unity. I suspect KSP 2 will use 11 or 12 as well.

Edited by GoldForest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoldForest said:

Unity upgrades happen all the time to games. KSP 1 has gone through 3 to 5 versions of unity. In fact 1.8.0 brings another one. Unity 2019.2 which is just behind the latest unity release of unity 2019.3.

I'm surprised then that PhysX with GPU acceleration hasn't been implimented yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I'm surprised then that PhysX with GPU acceleration hasn't been implimented yet

Well, phyx is implemented. It runs inside the DX code I believe, or at least the unity 2019 code.

The problem is ksp can't use phyx. Apparently phyx can't keep up with all the updates

Edited by GoldForest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Well, phyx is implemented. It runs inside the DX code I believe, or at least the unity 2019 code.

The problem is ksp can't use phyx. Apparently phyx can't keep up with all the updates

PhysX uses either CUDA on their GPU's, or regular maths on the CPU.  DX12 Direct Physics uses OpenCL for GPGPU acceleration (being descended from Havok, which Microsoft acquired in 2015)

Unity has traditionally used the CPU branch of PhysX, Unity 2019.2 specifically uses PhysX3.4.2

However there is preview availability of Havok support in Unity 2019.1 via the DOTS framework

If the Havok physics pipeline progresses to official support in a timely manner so that Star Theory can take advantage of it, maybe we will see GPGPU acceleration

Edited by NoMrBond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I'm surprised then that PhysX with GPU acceleration hasn't been implimented yet

Unity's implementation is on the CPU

22 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

PhysX uses either CUDA on their GPU's, or regular maths on the CPU.  DX12 Direct Physics uses OpenCL for GPGPU acceleration (being descended from Havok, which Microsoft acquired in 2015)

Unity has traditionally used the CPU branch of PhysX, Unity 2019.2 specifically uses PhysX3.4.2

However there is preview availability of Havok support in Unity 2019.1 via the DOTS framework

If the Havok physics pipeline progresses to official support in a timely manner so that Star Theory can take advantage of it, maybe we will see GPGPU acceleration

It's unlikely that this will be implemented on release, so anything like this will be reserved for a major update. As changing unity versions wreaks havoc compatibility wise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.