How are Rask and Rusk going to work?

EnderKid2

Just now, M_Rat13 said:

See. Already we have someone up for the challenge, and with an idea how to do it. Nothing's impossible in KSP, unless it's hard coded.

KSP2 probably won't have n-body physics so the question is moot anyway. 

Even if KSP does have n-body physics (binaries, I'm afraid, will act very silly if it doesn't), in Principa the forces from vessels are ignored when calculating the planets' motion, IIRC. They aren't on rails, but that doesn't mean you can shift them. It is a reasonable approximation, too, you'd have a hard time moving Gilly even with Tsar Bomba-sized Orion pulse units.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

I'm intrigued.How did you set it up? That's my question. I know that binaries are stable and all that, but are they in orbit around a body being a barycentre or have they created a barycentre of their own principia?

I just set Duna as a moon of Rald, Principia did the rest

Is it not possible to approximate the bahavior of two bodies by essentially adding two inverse squares? I'm thinking of something like this:
TJThq6O.png

There is one "jump" where the the function would change sign, but SOI changes are also jumps and at the distances we're dealing with it should be perfectly fine.

5 and 1 would represent distances, 1 and 10 would represent the celestial's masses. I don't know how to get the barycenter in case m1 != m2 (I assume the barycenter would be the root of this function), but it's just an idea anyway.

Edited by Delay

• 11 months later...
On 8/20/2019 at 11:46 AM, birdog357 said:

Why are you guys coming up with these convoluted hack job ideas?

Said hack job ideas are still being shared in 2020 despite a devlog having already said that 3-body physics will be in the game near R&R.

23 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Said hack job ideas are still being shared in 2020 despite a devlog having already said that 3-body physics will be in the game near R&R.

Where is the dev blog? 3 body is an major change. 

15 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-4-ksp2-engineering/

One example that has already been shown in the trailer are the binary planets Rask and Rusk, which orbit each other. One approach to simulating this would be to have an invisible gravitational center point between the two worlds, but this would make orbiting Rask and Rusk just like orbiting any other body, with slightly different parameters for collision, and the side effect that ships would be drawn to the barycenter between the two bodies. We’re aiming for a higher degree of realism. Instead, in the case of Rask and Rusk, we’ll be calculating the gravitational pull of multiple bodies on our Kerbal vessels, so that developing a stable orbit in complex conditions like a binary planet system becomes a new and exciting challenge! In addition, attempting a landing on Rask or Rusk will be a different experience depending on the location of the sister planet in relation to your target for touchdown, and yes, there will be an astable Lagrage point between the two planets (if we pull this off correctly). Full system n-body gravity is, of course, not planned for KSP2, as it would be overly compute intensive and also require complex station keeping on all vessels in orbit that, we feel, distracts from the fun of the game. However, we look forward to how players will deal with, or take advantage of, some of the interesting properties of the special cases where physics gets far more interesting than we’ve grown accustomed to in the original Kerbal Space Program.

16 minutes ago, magnemoe said:
41 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I already linked it.

Edit: I thought you were commenting on another post

Edited by Bej Kerman