KSP 2 Graphical Upgrades

In regards to graphical fidelity, I made numerous observations from the "Developer Story" trailer pre-alpha footage (which could change at release), including the apparent inclusion of clouds, much higher surface detail on planets, implementation of bloom, and numerous other graphical effects. I'm curious about your thoughts on how this will affect performance on PC's. 

Edited by SpaceCube2000

In the stills I don't see any clouds or atmospheric shaders such as Scatterer, but the bloom effect, coupled with the vibrant colors and new amounts of detail really catch my eye. I like how it's not completely realistic and still keeps that Kerbal charm while at the same time looks detailed enough to be up to 2020 standards. 

Can't wait for further screenshots and gameplay footage. The hype is real. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

4 hours ago, malkuth said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/954850/Kerbal_Space_Program_2/?snr=1_7_15__13

they have pics on the official steam page.  They look very kerbal like.  But the game is built from the ground up and new code.. So hopefully its a little better than KSP1 code was.  More user friendly for Modders too.

It looks like they have a project Orion nuclear bomb engine! The new fire effects look good.

8 hours ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

In regards to graphical fidelity, I made numerous observations from the "Developer Story" trailer pre-alpha footage at release), [...] including the apparent inclusion of clouds

I didn't see any screeshot featuring clouds except for the cinematic trailer which wasn't gameplay... Hope I'm wrong tho because clouds on ksp were adding a lot to the overall looking of the game

Yeah, no clouds in the screenshots. Mixed feelings about this - modded clouds look great on a good day and awful on a bad one, but I'd hope a team as big as theirs seem to be could implement something performant that keeps decent resolution throughout. On the other hand, it's hardly a priority.

Also, it's still up to a year until release.

Edited by ModZero

7 hours ago, Treehouse46 said:

Any chance we could see some stills / art work? The trailer said 'not actual game play', so I am wondering what are the graphical upgrades? 

1 hour ago, Kaerbanogue said:

I didn't see any screeshot featuring clouds except for the cinematic trailer which wasn't gameplay... Hope I'm wrong tho because clouds on ksp were adding a lot to the overall looking of the game

mqWVZmp.png?1

One thing I'd definitely like to see in the new game would be the equivelent of the Planet Shine mod.

It's the visual mod that I've had the longest and for screenshots taken in orbit, it probably has as great an impact on the end result as any other.

I'm wondering if we may see ray tracing in the game.  It's normally associated with high end, AAA games, but is probably easier to apply to a game like KSP2 where you have far less detailed terrain and less complicated models (like compare this to Metro Exodus or Battlefield V, there's no comparison.)  Generally, there's also only a handful of light sources in KSP (well, mostly one, though it's rather large) and so you'd think RTX wouldn't be too taxing either. We'll see.

We should also keep in mind that all the screenshots so far look like very early pre-alpha builds of the game. Even so, I really like how the particle effects and terrain scatters look already, it's a significant step up from KSP1.

14 minutes ago, Gydra54 said:

We should also keep in mind that all the screenshots so far look like very early pre-alpha builds of the game. Even so, I really like how the particle effects and terrain scatters look already, it's a significant step up from KSP1.

Good point.  Although the ground texture itself is pretty bad, it's definitely WIP and will be at least the equivalent of the new texture packs coming out in KSP1, if not better.  On top of that, the density of rocks on the Mun and trees on Kerbin are really promising, and miles better than KSP1.

3 hours ago, Teek said:

I'm wondering if we may see ray tracing in the game.  It's normally associated with high end, AAA games, but is probably easier to apply to a game like KSP2 where you have far less detailed terrain and less complicated models (like compare this to Metro Exodus or Battlefield V, there's no comparison.)  Generally, there's also only a handful of light sources in KSP (well, mostly one, though it's rather large) and so you'd think RTX wouldn't be too taxing either. We'll see.

I actually came to the forum thinking a very similar thing. It's the perfect game for it.. And to be honest. The game can run at 30 to 60 fps and its ok. 

On 8/20/2019 at 2:23 PM, purpleivan said:

One thing I'd definitely like to see in the new game would be the equivelent of the Planet Shine mod.

It's the visual mod that I've had the longest and for screenshots taken in orbit, it probably has as great an impact on the end result as any other.

If you look at some of the gameplay footage (from the IGN interview), the space station they show around Jool, and Vall itself for that matter, is (strongly) backlit green, indicating strong planetshine already in pre-alpha. You can see @8:40

1 hour ago, Iodyne said:

If you look at some of the gameplay footage (from the IGN interview), the space station they show around Jool, and Vall itself for that matter, is (strongly) backlit green, indicating strong planetshine already in pre-alpha. You can see @8:40

I'd not actually seen that video... will have to give it a look after work today so after a day of meetings and listening to developers, I'll be listenting to more developers :)

Good to see that planetary backlighting is in there, although they'll need to tweak the falloff of the effect, it's a bit strong considering the distance from the Jool. But it is pre-Alpha of course and definitely good to see it there.