Necessary sacrifice or just money fraud...?

Vegatoxi

Heck, I already bought 2 copies of KSP 1. Originally got it on GOG and then later I bought a second copy through Steam because it seemed convenient at the time and was on sale. I can't easily add up how many hours of enjoyment I've gotten out of it over several years (I often play the steam copy offline) but it is sure a lot more than my money's worth and I'll certainly be happy to buy KSP 2 when it comes out.

The OP's apparent sense of entitlement to dictate how development goes, going so far as to label things as fraud because it isn't like he pictures, brings to mind some of my experience in software development. Before I retired from NASA I did a fair amount of software development and one of my programs was fairly widely distributed in its time (relative to its specialized area of application - you are unlikely to have heard of it). I distributed it for free to anyone who asked for it; your taxpayer dollars had already paid me (fairly well in fact) for developing it. Some people well appreciated getting it from me. Others decided it didn't really fit what they needed. Both of those responses were fine with me. But I recall one case where someone insisted that I ought to customize it to fit what he wanted. He was quite upset when I declined to do that for him and expressed downright anger that I gave him a program that didn't do what he wanted. He said I should not have given it to him (for free and with complete source code) if I wasn't willing to invest my time to customize it for him.

We’re getting a bit more infirmation, through interviews and reading between the lines. I have no knowledge of the decision processes at Squad, Private Divison or Star Helix (or whatever their name is), but I’ve come up with what I think are reasonable assumptions:

For Take Two, KSP is about... something.

More interestingly, it’s not about collecting money by the wheekbarrow. They have other products for that. Obviously the goal is to make the game a success, whatever that means, and prevent it from being a money pit. But obviously there’s some long term goal, and it seems highly unlikely that, whatever that long term goal is, it will be advanced by short-term money grabs like micro transactions.

KSP2 is a giant undertaking

The project has been running for a year, and will take at least another year before it starts generating revenue. Whoever thinks that Take Two’s approach was to “ruin the game” to squeeze momey out of it... let that sink in... T2 is making quite the commitment in reviving an iconic title, and are obviously not in it to make a quick buck.

KSP1 is still alive

This seems to confuse people. Isn’t Squad upset that someone else takes over the sequel? What’s the point?

Well, assuming no schedules slip—and how realistic is that in software development?—there’s no product hitting the market for at least a year. That’s a lot of time, and surely a good way to see an active community (“guaranteed” sales) whither away.

If only there is a way to keep such a  community engaged and interested! Well, there is, of course. Hence, Squad is  committed to keeping KSP1 alive—at the very least until KSP2 hits the market. At very little cost as they can probably market another round of DLC (“final approach?” It could be a spectacular package, to go out with a bang) to subsidize operations.

What’s the relation between Star Theory and Squad?

It’s hard to guess, but it’s easy to assume that, at one point in time, Star Theory will absorb Squad. Squad provides the original idea, provides input and support for KSP2 and then will see the company dwindle as KSP1 sales inevitably will dry up. And their staff is fine with that? What they say in public can be governed by corporate guidelines, of course they say they are very excited about it. Sure. While T2 can control the mouths of Squad’s staff, it will be a lot harder to control their feet. We know there was a bit of an exodus when Star Theory started (Squad staff moving over to Star Theory?), but outside that things have seemed pretty stable. Who wouldn’t leave at the first opportunity when your company is doomed? So, my conclusion: Squad isn’t doomed; it will probably become part of Star Helix Theory once KSP2 goes live, or shortly after that. That is pure speculation on my side, but based on what I think are reasonable assumptions.

26 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

So, my conclusion: Squad isn’t doomed; it will probably become part of Star Helix Theory once KSP2 goes live, or shortly after that. That is pure speculation on my side, but based on what I think are reasonable assumptions.

Squad has become a marketing company, from my understanding. The remaining game development staff may migrate to Star Theory in time, or may not, but either way Squad will probably continue to exist independently in a different industry for some time.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:24 PM, Vegatoxi said:

Looks like fraud.:KOh:

Looks like you don't have the slightest understanding of what fraud is. 

KSP1 and the DLCs are sold as is with no guarantee of future support or development, this is stated explicitly and has been since the very first for-pay version was released. 

Nothing has been taken from anyone by the announcement of KSP2. You still have exactly the same things you paid for the day before the announcement was made. 

Using revenue from an existing product to fund development of a new product is business as usual. How did you think such things worked? 

10 hours ago, TBenz said:

Squad has become a marketing company, from my understanding. The remaining game development staff may migrate to Star Theory in time, or may not, but either way Squad will probably continue to exist independently in a different industry for some time.

As I understand Squad transformed to an game company because the success of KSP
Some hints that they have an new game in development. 

KSP2 is going to be a completely new game with completely new game engine with completely new features that could never be implemented into the original game because of its old architecture. You've gotten 8 years of free updates already and some people have even gotten free DLCs, is there anything better to ask for? The amount of new features and enhancements completely justifies them charging you for it and marketing it as a completely new game (because it is one).

3 minutes ago, bartekkru99 said:

KSP2 is going to be a completely new game with completely new game engine with completely new features that could never be implemented into the original game because of its old architecture. You've gotten 8 years of free updates already and some people have even gotten free DLCs, is there anything better to ask for? The amount of new features and enhancements completely justifies them charging you for it and marketing it as a completely new game (because it is one).

Couldn't have said it better. 

Also, do I have to mention that KSP2 will probably get years of free updates as well? From what we've seen, KSP2 is already going to be superior to KSP1 in most regards at launch. I bet some major features that we are going see on day one haven't even been talked about and are yet to be announced.

Edited by bartekkru99

Why? I have several titles that have sequels, all still installed, all played (and sometimes I don't even play the new because they're garbage (I'm looking at you, Supreme Commander 2))

Yet again you said something without proving your point, cuz I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here, we won't. If a game gave me tons of hours of entertainment, I like to return to it, even if there's new one available.

3 hours ago, Vegatoxi said:

You will do it by your own hands when KSP 2 is out

Sooooooo? Is anybody going to force anyone to do that? Is anyone forcing you to switch to KSP2? You don't want to pay for it? Then don't and just keep playing KSP1. It's that simple

33 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

What if we can import old crafts into KSP2?

Meh... now that you mention it, I probably won't. A big part of KSP is the craft creation experience, so I'll probably want to do it all again anyway. :)

47 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

What if we can import old crafts into KSP2?

I dont think we will be able to.

Save files are confirmed incompatible, so we can assume craft files will be as well. They may even be rewriting the entire craft file.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:54 AM, Vegatoxi said:

So, you take our money for KSP
Take our money for KSP DLC's
Announce texture revamp for Mun and Duna few days ago.

And now... you announce KSP 2 which literally turn all of this into useless dust just because obviously KSP will be abandoned after KSP 2 will be released.

So what a sense of current KSP anouncements?
And i say even more - what sense of KSP in face of KSP 2 announce?
You just wanna take a little more money for already dead game?

Looks like fraud.:KOh:

Holy cow.  You're totally right.  I'm going to sue EA for all the Maddens and FIFAs this instant.  Fraud is fraud and we have rights!

On 8/23/2019 at 5:05 PM, TBenz said:

Incorrect.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:20 AM, magnemoe said:

As I understand Squad transformed to an game company because the success of KSP
Some hints that they have an new game in development. 

Correct.  Squad hasn't been a marketing company for a long time as I understand it.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:14 PM, Waxing_Kibbous said:

For perspective, a game costs about as much as a tank of gas, a cheap night out, somebody's Tim Hortons for the week, etc. Yet you potentially get 100X's more hours out of a game than most purchases you make in a year. Some games are great deals, and I consider KSP one of them.

Found the user from Ontario.

3 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Well, across the lake but close enough :cool:- a lot of Canadian culture seeps across the border.

Rochester, by chance? We should meet up next time I visit home. It's too freaking hot and humid here in Philly :P