Am I the only one who dislikes the new versions of KSP?

xXKSP_playerXx

Your favorite version?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite version?

• 0.25 and below (I can see why)
    • 0.9 (ahh I see, huge crafts)

The lesser problematic version for me was 1.4.3 . But my problems were all related to Add'Ons, not the game itself (it has some glitches, but they didn't bite me so hard as it did to others).

The 1.4 series was a game (engine :sticktongue:) changer, we took the whole year to learn to cope with the changes.

Interesting enough, now and then I fire up my 1.4.3 installments with the Add'Ons fixed (most of them, interim versions), and that version holds it very well for most of the time. It's surely a bit faster than 1.7, what's on a potato like my current machine, it's something.

From my experience, there's few to almost none differences between 1.4.5 and 1.5.1 - I have the feeling that 1.4.4 should be the 1.5.0, with 1.4.x series ending with 1.4.3, and 1.5.x series ending with 1.5.3 (and not the 1.5.1). It looks silly, but Versioning for Add'Ons would be hugely easier to keep track this way.

I think 1.3.1 was the most stable & smoothest running for me, but I like a lot of the changes that have been made.  The MH parts weren't too impressive at first since I already had 1.875m parts from mods, but over time I've migrated to using the MH parts more than mod ones.  The BG parts are pretty impressive, but I haven't made too much use of them.  It's great being able to make a prop plane - especially an all-electric one - but I could already do that with mods.   I loved the addition of parachutes, launching from command seats & some of the part changes (especially the Mk 2 lander can that I actually use now), but most of the other improvements weren't as good as the mods I was already using for the same purpose.  The main result has been 1.7.3 & BG run noticeably slower for me than previous versions, but that has felt like a steady trend since 1.4 rather than a strictly a 1.7+ problem.  Still, I can't say I want to go back. 

KSP 1.3.1 is still my favorite version by far. It seems to have the best modding support, very stable (comparatively), the last version before being bought out by T2 (i probably would've kept updating if it weren't for the redshell scandal though), and the later versions of KSP don't really add enough new stuff to make me want to bother upgrading my mods.

11 hours ago, xXKSP_playerXx said:

Yea... they are pretty cool, but you could just get KWRocketry for free and have basically the same stuff (parts wise).

I'm a big fan of KW, been using this mod as one of my standard mods since .17.  But there a lot of parts from MH that aren't in KW. 

15 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

KSP 1.3.1 is still my favorite version by far. It seems to have the best modding support, very stable (comparatively), the last version before being bought out by T2 (i probably would've kept updating if it weren't for the redshell scandal though), and the later versions of KSP don't really add enough new stuff to make me want to bother upgrading my mods.

Same with me. I can't be bothered to upgrade from my 1.2.2 setup. I had a 1.3.1 setup, but some important mods weren't working for it so I stayed on 1.2.2. BTW: 1.2.2 runs even better than 1.3.1.

1.7.3  I have a 1.4 install for one of my missions using an older modpack and it just seems so wrong, the broken burn time indicator, the old Terrier and Poodle designs, and some newer mods not working. Also the 1.6 delta-v indicator which sometimes works when the KER one is broken, and the 1.7 maneuver node editor which makes possible to edit the node and look at the trajectory at the same time. Even having started to play in 1.5 and never having played older than 1.4, I see the huge progress that has been made since in making the game easier to play.

I only started playing when 1.3.1 was current. Towards the end of that was when I started getting into part mods and other stuff that wasn't just quality of life, and then 1.4 came along and borked so much stuff. As a result I went back to 1.3.1 and pretty much stayed there until 1.5. Around then, I started getting into BDA tournaments. Since they all had slightly different rules, I started using multiple installs with different versions and mod sets. I've recently upgraded my main sandbox game to the current version. I had to ditch a few mods that I liked for performance reasons, but I like the robotic parts too much to go back.

With all this talk about KSP versions, I got the urge to dust off 1.3.1 and then (remembering some issues I was having) created a fresh copy & start adding in the mods I've been using, minus one that was conflicting for me in 1.3.1 & sadly without Restock.   But I did add scatterer & SVE, since I figured they should run ok in the older version.  I still had them saved from when 1.3.1 was current, just never installed them at the time.   Loaded way faster, and other than REALLY missing the Restock parts, it looked great and ran smoother than 1.7.3 with just the SciFi VE clouds & no scatterer.  And thanks to @XLjedi , who ages ago posted a little file to revert 1.4+ craft files to 1.3.1, I was even able to use one of my newer spaceplanes without issues.  Now I'm gonna have to try & revert the rest of them.   Ugh, now I'm gonna want to play 1.3.1 all the time.  All I'm missing are kerbal parachutes (and I know there's a mod for that) and the new Mk 2 lander can.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.