Random thoughts about KSP 2.0

Lisias

This post was post, originally, to answer this post on Kerbal Construction Time thread. And quickly I realized I derailed the thread, so I created this one instead to declutter that one.

—— 

41 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not planning on remaking any at this time.  I first want to see what the new KSP-2 has and what it needs, then I can think about what could be added.

I watched Scott Manley's video about the new KSP-2, and frankly it was a disappointment.  He was analyzing the marketing videos and trying to extraplate, but it was just guesswork.

I'm not exactly disappointed. it's exactly what I was expecting to say the true. (it's unity, after all) KSP 2.0 was an open secret after all. I even think that the original 2.0 hype was "planted" by someone from Star.Theory staff to gather "intelligence". I'm pretty sure we were being closely monitored all this time. :D 

Anyway. I remember the promo video for KSP 1.0. And I played a bit with KSP 1.0 later, and IMHO, the KSP tradition is being maintained. :)

Spoiler

I expect a lot of learnt lessons to be applied, a somewhat elitized eco system at the first (due the higher pricing and legacy fan fase sticking for sometime on KSP 1), but on the long run, we will end up all here, complaining about KSP as we ever did. :) We will complain about new problems, but we will complain. :D 

I'm pretty sure some of us will complain about missing the good and faithful old problems. :P 

For me? I will keep going normally. KSP 2 is still way ahead (I expect it to launch in Xmas 2020, as the North Hemisphere's summertime is usually low on selling games - most people are enjoying the Sun out here!).

I'm reaching a somewhat successful way of keeping my code KSP version independent (I have code running from 1.2.2 to 1.7.3, relying on specialized libraries to handle any difference), it's not impossible that I could manage to support KSP2 too. It's still Unity (for the best and for the worst), so it's feasible.

6 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I'm reaching a somewhat successful way of keeping my code KSP version independent (I have code running from 1.2.2 to 1.7.3, relying on specialized libraries to handle any difference), it's not impossible that I could manage to support KSP2 too. It's still Unity (for the best and for the worst), so it's feasible.

That's something I'm thinking about with regards to a theoretical KCT2. Have all the mod functionality at one layer and a separate layer for interfacing with the game. Game versions only have to change in the interface layer and as long as the same interface is exposed to the actual mod code then that can run against multiple versions without issue.

Also I'm pretty sure this thread is gonna get merged into one of the other KSP2 threads so hi other people!