KSP2 Flight UI from Developer Story Trailer

Not sure if anyone else has done this already: I reprojected what's presumably the WIP KSP2 flight UI from the Developer Story trailer (https://youtu.be/2wmJlnTqjSg?t=184 time 3:04) to 16:9 and tried to color-correct it to match the few screenshots we got.

Without color correction:

Spoiler

DRiAKsU.png

With color correction:

Spoiler

6ToKwkc.png

My guesses from left to right:

• Throttle
  • Navball; bottom right is presumably heading based on three-digits and what appears to be a degree symbol.
  • Maneuver node Gizmo or SAS modes or both? Underneath that is likely the SAS/RCS indicator panels based on location and text, but it's very hard to read.
  • Orbit/Surface/Target velocity mode
  • Presumably velocity and underneath that, it appears to read G-Force, so presumably acceleration meter
  • Play/Pause symbol, so time warp as a slider? Underneath that presumably clock
  • Altitude based on red unit marker in the last digit, above that potentially vertical velocity, below that altitude above terrain or atmospheric pressure maybe? Unsure.
  • Another switch control like seen for the velocity modes over on the left with two options, can't read what the text next to it says. Unsure.
  • Vessel/Map mode switch based on icons and "View" underneath.
  • Based on icon fuel-related, potentially the toggle for the Resources panel? Can't see the panel itself though. Might be low-fuel indicator warning or similar?
  • Presumably staging. There appears to be m/s Delta-V numbers in each box. Stage number appears to be in top-right corner of the panel, green outline appears to indicate the stage that will be fired next with a marker for all stages at the bottom. Symbol in bottom-right of stage that is yet to be fired appears to be part type indicator; engine on stage 1, parachute on stage 2. There's another icon on the top left as well as a horizontal bar for the inactive stages; could be graphical indicator of Delta-V/fuel remaining? Unsure.

In general the layout looks a lot more cockpit-style and minimalist and less video-game-style. Personally, I think I like it.

Of course this is all subject to change so by the time the game releases it could all be completely different.

Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

User interface on a pre alpha game is meaningless . User interface on a pre alpha build is made so that people can work on and test the game. It will most definitely be different maybe very different, on a final product.

Yeah, but it does look like at least some work on graphics has happened here, right? Some of the features there look more polished and relevant to gameplay than just a test UI? Not a developer at all, so I wouldn't really know these things, but parts of that look pretty nice, and I don't think it would be too unrealistic to expect at least some part of this to make it to release. I gotta say I like the staging and center info display section things...

1 hour ago, PistonMiner said:

Not sure if anyone else has done this already: I reprojected what's presumably the WIP KSP2 flight UI from the Developer Story trailer (https://youtu.be/2wmJlnTqjSg?t=184 time 3:04) to 16:9 and tried to color-correct it to match the few screenshots we got.

Without color correction:

Hide contents

DRiAKsU.png

With color correction:

Hide contents

6ToKwkc.png

My guesses from left to right:

• Throttle
  • Navball; bottom right is presumably heading based on three-digits and what appears to be a degree symbol.
  • Maneuver node Gizmo or SAS modes or both? Underneath that is likely the SAS/RCS indicator panels based on location and text, but it's very hard to read.
  • Orbit/Surface/Target velocity mode
  • Presumably velocity and underneath that, it appears to read G-Force, so presumably acceleration meter
  • Play/Pause symbol, so time warp as a slider? Underneath that presumably clock
  • Altitude based on red unit marker in the last digit, above that potentially vertical velocity, below that altitude above terrain or atmospheric pressure maybe? Unsure.
  • Another switch control like seen for the velocity modes over on the left with two options, can't read what the text next to it says. Unsure.
  • Vessel/Map mode switch based on icons and "View" underneath.
  • Based on icon fuel-related, potentially the toggle for the Resources panel? Can't see the panel itself though. Might be low-fuel indicator warning or similar?
  • Presumably staging. There appears to be m/s Delta-V numbers in each box. Stage number appears to be in top-right corner of the panel, green outline appears to indicate the stage that will be fired next with a marker for all stages at the bottom. Symbol in bottom-right of stage that is yet to be fired appears to be part type indicator; engine on stage 1, parachute on stage 2. There's another icon on the top left as well as a horizontal bar for the inactive stages; could be graphical indicator of Delta-V/fuel remaining? Unsure.

In general the layout looks a lot more cockpit-style and minimalist and less video-game-style. Personally, I think I like it.

Of course this is all subject to change so by the time the game releases it could all be completely different.

Thoughts?

To clustered. It is hard to check back and forth between left and right every few seconds. Old version in KSP1 is better, I also think it nav ball is way to dark. The staging seems to strange with that go thing. Overall the black and green configuration is annoying, It seems more like a fighter cockpit as the OP said and not so much a space style. 

WIP or not, I think this general minimalist style is a good place to start for a sci-fi game in 2020. That is definitely down to personal preference though, as I can see why someone would like the old HUD, given it looked like it was made out of actual control panel parts. I am not one of those people, though. I find that kind of stylized HUD to be a bit cheesy and wasteful: I'm not in the cockpit, I don't need my instruments to look like I'm in a cockpit. Not to mention it takes up more space when it's trying to look pretty. This minimal-art stuff is efficient, it doesn't get in the way, and leaves more room to bask in the space.

Also, this seems to fit the more futuristic theme of KSP2's tech; as stuff gets more modern we move away from the analog metal bits and try to fit more and more info onto a screen. Fighter jets are indeed doing that right now, one can only assume that the spacecraft of the future will also drop the metal panels in favor of screens.

I'm ambivalent on the visual design of the elements. I like the idea of higher tech holographic displays, but I'll need to see a better quality video (or maybe even get some play time in) before I can pass full judgement on how well they work for me functionally.

As far as the layout goes... ho boy.

I don't like having something as important as the Navball in the bottom left corner of the screen. In fact, that entire bottom left corner feels too busy, while the HUD starts to thin out too much on the bottom right. And there is plenty of real-estate on the top of the screen that isn't being taken advantage of (which is made even worse in this screenshot because the main focus, the rocket, is actually below the center of the screen). I'd prefer to see more things shuffled around, ideally in a layout similar to KSP 1. I don't want to hinder the creative freedom of Star Theory, but when you have an avid playerbase already trained to look at specific parts of the screen for specific information, you may want to consider capitalizing on that for the sake of familiarity and adoption.

Edit: Oh, and before anyone says it, yeah, I get that this isn't necessarily representative of the final UI. Just putting my 2 spesos out there for consideration.

Edited by TBenz

1 hour ago, Opus_723 said:

I currently use a mod to move my navball out of the center of the screen because I feel like it crowds my view of the spaceship itself, so I personally like the layout here a lot.

Why do you use a mod for that? My navball is also out of the center but I just used the esc menu option while the game is paused.

I was watching the Developers video and in 3:04 there's a screen with the game being displayed, and you could see the new HUD on it.

WgTxrH6.png

I posted it on Reddit and someone corrected the perspective, making the image clearer. 

9DEsDqM.png

In that photo you can see almost everything: The throttle and the new navigation ball on the left side; the time warp, the altimeter and velocimeter on the centre; and the stages on the right side. Now the top section is clearer and all the information is displayed in the bottom. Maybe they'll change a few things, since the game is not even finished.

I don't know if someone else saw it, but since nobody is talking about this I wanted to post it here as well. 

10 hours ago, TBenz said:

I don't like having something as important as the Navball in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Very first thing I noticed. It has to be in the middle.

Also, I get improvements, but some of the most used features should just remain where they have always been, since we are all used to it being there. Lilke staging on the left.

If ksp2 is moddable, expect one of the very first mods to be "classic UI"!

9 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Luckily, it will indeed be 

Yeah. I am kinda expexting even more, like steam workshop integration, or some way to make mods available to console users. Who knows. If they are smart they will keep moddability at least as viable as before, and if anything, even more. It has been a major reason of ksp's success.

I like the style of the new HUD. The cartoonish look of the old one was a bit of a turn off for me. Especially since I have KER installed and all of the data from that mod are displayed on a sleek transparent text boxes. The old one works well when you're learning KSP, but once I got deeper into it (enough to install KER and Precise Node) it just felt a little bit of a joke. It was just a couple of days ago when I was searching for mod that would let me get rid of the old HUD and just use the KER stuff.

Edited by villetuomas

I dunno, I agree that the navball should be in the center. But that definitely looks like part of the UI that is less finished and more of a placeholder. I'd expect it to change before release.

Just swap the time warp thingy with the navball... 

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

Hopefully the UI is modular customisable widgets

Pull them out or pop them up from some widget draw, make them the size you want, where you want them, clip them together or snap them to the screen border for perfect alignments

Include a couple of default layouts for people that don't want to mess with that, but then players that want to dig into it can make it whatever they like.

34 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

Hopefully the UI is modular customisable widgets

Pull them out or pop them up from some widget draw, make them the size you want, where you want them, clip them together or snap them to the screen border for perfect alignments

Include a couple of default layouts for people that don't want to mess with that, but then players that want to dig into it can make it whatever they like.

This is what we need. No more needs to be said.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

User interface on a pre alpha game is meaningless . User interface on a pre alpha build is made so that people can work on and test the game. It will most definitely be different maybe very different, on a final product.

I think it would most likely end up looking like this, It looks very nice and functional without needing to go into to separate menus to view specs.

It looks like a holographic HUD what fits the near future theme of KSP 2 well.