Away from KSP for too long, need some stuff explained

Hi all,

It has been a while since I played KSP. Just saw new stuff and 2 DLC's. I bought the "Breaking Ground" expansion already.

So, after I managed to install all my favorite mods, I came to realize that some new stuff on the game I do not really get it.

c307c7e6f59dec6ae17ba2002310e6a0-full.jp

So here it goes:

What is

1- Same Vessel interaction" ?

2- Control point "Default / reversed" ?

3- Flow priority (I know it has something to do with fuel from several tanks and the flow of it, but I never managed to understand). :blush:

If there is anyone there that could explain me this little things I would appreciate.

Thank you all in advance. :)

p.s.

KSP 2? What a blast.

1. Same vessel interaction: Between about version 1.2.0 and version 1.7.0, no two parts belonging to a single craft could collide with each other. If they could move, they would just phase through each other. If they were clipped into each other, they would not collide. As soon as you decouple, however, one craft becomes two craft -- and any parts that clip between the two craft would immediately collide, often with explosive consequences. All this was done to allow artistic clipping to make vessels look cute, and to prevent explosions between parts that were a little too close together, even if they visually seemed to be slightly separated.

So, what Breaking Ground (and the current version) do is change that all slightly. Breaking Ground movable joints and robotics allow parts of the ship to bend back and interact with the rest of the craft. So the previous unbreakable rule of "no parts on the same craft are allowed to collide" has changed. Parts that are on opposite sides of a robotics joints can now collide. Just so long as you initially store your robotics parts in a safe way, this new rule about self-collisions should never destroy your craft.

2. Sometimes, you want to look at the "hidden" opposite side of your navball. Now you can, with a click.

3. When you build your rocket, you can set the "priority" of the order that you want your fuel tanks to drain. The system automatically sets pretty good default guesses, that will work in almost all cases. But if you want to do something like an asparagus launcher -- using priorities can make it simpler than adding a dozen fuel ducts. Priorities are numeric, and the tanks with the highest numeric priority drain first, provided there is a path for the fuel to flow between the tank and any operational engine. You have to turn on Advanced Tweakables in the Settings before the fuel priorities can be modified.

Thank you so much for the explanation.

1- Indeed, I remember this was a problem in the earlier versions of KSP. This should make things more interesting.

2- Ok, lol.

3- Talking about asparagus, yes, some stuff I created in the past looked like a web of fuel ducts. This should be very interesting to see how it works and how I can implement it on my rockets (provided they do not explode).

Again, bewing, thank you very much for your explanation.

:)

4 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Regarding flow priorities, this can also help to prevent rockets from flipping over, emptying tanks via flow priorities close to engines first can often prevent flipping over :) 

Yes, center of mass.

This give a lot of possibilities. Usually I left those settings alone and use the method of fuel ducts, this looks like much more easier.

Guess I have much testing to do. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.