piloting with just a scientist

I really want Bob on a mission so I can reset my SJ and goo.  But then I get no SAS and my ability to fly without it is quite terrible.  Could I add a small probe core to the design?

Follow up on probes and control:  In order to be able to control my rocket that is being driven by Bob+probe core, I need an antenna with a connection to KSC, right?  So on the backside of Mun, I'll need to first place a relay?

Michael

6 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

Yes, you'll need a relay - ideally 3 relays, equally spaced around the Mun to ensure continuous contact with KSC

thanks.  I like using just 2 relays, in very elliptical orbits.  I don't mess around with geosynchronous or exactly equal spacing.  The way you describe is "correct", whereas my way is "acceptable".  I didn't know if Bob could talk to the probe core to enable SAS when out of contact. 

Yes, Bob can switch the modes on the probe core to allow all the probe core's modes. If there is a working comm connection back to KSC, then KSC can program maneuver nodes for the vessel. Bob can also feather the throttle during those moments when the probe core cannot.

Give Bob an OKTO core as absolute minimum. As the others said, SAS will work and you can set maneuver nodes while in contact with the KSC. If you go out of contact, SAS will still work, you just can't set maneuver nodes.

Also, don't forget to pack an extra battery or two (or bring a solar panel, if you have one unlocked) and set the OKTO to auto-hibernate during warp (it doesn't by default).

On 8/20/2019 at 8:46 PM, bewing said:

Yes, Bob can switch the modes on the probe core to allow all the probe core's modes. If there is a working comm connection back to KSC, then KSC can program maneuver nodes for the vessel. Bob can also feather the throttle during those moments when the probe core cannot.

Not sure what you mean by “probe core’s modes”.  I mostly want/need the ability to set Prograde/Retrograde and not start doing gymnastic flips all over.

51 minutes ago, MPDerksen said:

Not sure what you mean by “probe core’s modes”.  I mostly want/need the ability to set Prograde/Retrograde and not start doing gymnastic flips all over.

Probe cores can let you assign "prograde" and "retrograde" alignment. :)

4 hours ago, Technical Ben said:

Probe cores can let you assign "prograde" and "retrograde" alignment. :)

Indeed, but only if connected to the 'Net.  that's the fundamental part of my question.  Send up my relay BEFORE sending up Bob+OKTO?  If Bewing means that "if Bob is present you can set Prograde on an OKTO that is not connected" then I'm all good.  I was just clarifying.  I understand that maneuver nodes will be out, but I don't need those in this case, since Jeb will be joining him later for the trip home :)

Edited by MPDerksen

2 hours ago, MPDerksen said:

Indeed, but only if connected to the 'Net.  that's the fundamental part of my question.  Send up my relay BEFORE sending up Bob+OKTO?  If Bewing means that "if Bob is present you can set Prograde on an OKTO that is not connected" then I'm all good.  I was just clarifying.  I understand that maneuver nodes will be out, but I don't need those in this case, since Jeb will be joining him later for the trip home :)

Probe cores can use the auto-aim buttons (radial, prograde, etc) when not connected to the network. I know this because I wrote a Making History Mission based entirely around this fact.

So it will work with Bob in the pod. It will even work with Bob out of the pod.

What Bob adds is the ability to throttle (as opposed to only having Z and X). I don't recall if he also adds the ability to aim anywhere, or if that only works in Science mode, or if I'm just having fever dreams about it.

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Probe cores can use the auto-aim buttons (radial, prograde, etc) when not connected to the network.

[Engage Nitpicker] That actually depends on the setting of "Require Signal for Control" in the settings. Which defaults to off even on hard difficulty. [Stop Nitpicker]

Which makes having any kind of Kerbal on the vessel even more valuable.

there is also a "fly by wire" part. it looks like a pointy 0.625 nosecone with an antenna in front. that component basically gives full pilot skills (stability assist, hold pro-/retrograde, hold anti-/normal, hold radial in/out, hold target) to the kerbal or probe core controlling the vessel regardless of their class/experience level. it's a little later in the tech tree than the baseline OKTO probecore, but much earlier than the high end probecores that also have the full suite of auto target commands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.