Module Manager for ksp2

theJesuit

12 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Will KSP2 have a built in Module Manager or will it rely on the community: here's looking at you the wonderful @sarbian.

I guess whatever S.T do the community will probably extend functionality anyway right?

Peace.

Don't go around asking about mods. It's too early to say, but Star Theory did say, 

Multiplayer/Modding

The technological developments made to the foundations of Kerbal Space Program 2 will build on the beloved modding capabilities of the original game, as well as deliver on the long-requested addition of multiplayer. Soon players will be able to share the challenges of deep space exploration. More details on these features will be revealed at a later time.

So Modding WILL be available, but to what extent, we don't know yet. I believe they want to expand on what modders can do, without the need for work arounds and that, so just be patient, like the rest of us. 

Edited by GoldForest

8 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Kinda hoping a dev might give a heads up on this at some point.  Kinda like oooh I wonder what the new ui is gonna be like will it have thing?

Peace.

We won't get any details until probably a month or two before release which will most likely be in May as to not go up against big name releases like Cyberpunk 2077.

53 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

We won't get any details until probably a month or two before release which will most likely be in May as to not go up against big name releases like Cyberpunk 2077.

I blame the tax year and investors. "It's stupid to release at this time [lists hundreds of reasons]", Accountant: "It's May then?"

1 hour ago, Technical Ben said:

I blame the tax year and investors. "It's stupid to release at this time [lists hundreds of reasons]", Accountant: "It's May then?"

Well, we don't know if it's May. They could release it in March and go up against 3 AAA titles. The best time to release would be in May though. No AAA titles really. Or heck, June is an option. But we'll have to wait and see.

12 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Or it will be in December because game code and art does takes time. 

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

They've said spring 2020, so that's March to June.

Yes, but sarbian is appropriately incorporating Murphy's Law into his estimate. ;) Aside from the $60 price point, I wouldn't mind a spring release with features poorly fleshed out. Even AAA studios get designs dramatically wrong. Best way to correct the problems is to get people playing (and complaining, but, you know, feedback)!

2 minutes ago, danfarnsy said:

Yes, but sarbian is appropriately incorporating Murphy's Law into his estimate. ;) Aside from the $60 price point, I wouldn't mind a spring release with features poorly fleshed out. Even AAA studios get designs dramatically wrong. Best way to correct the problems is to get people playing (and complaining, but, you know, feedback)!

Well, they've obviously been working on this for years, the Steam page has been active since 2018, just hidden away from public eye. 

23 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Will KSP2 have a built in Module Manager or will it rely on the community: here's looking at you the wonderful @sarbian.

I guess whatever S.T do the community will probably extend functionality anyway right?

Peace.

KSP2 won't need Module Manager or equivalent.

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Well, that confirms a question. KSP2 has built in Module Manager. 

no. I didn't say that. I said it doesn't need Module Manager, or an equivalent. It's a completely different architecture. Hence, What Module Manager did in KSP1 is no longer required in KSP2.

Just now, JPLRepo said:

no. I didn't say that. I said it doesn't need Module Manager, or an equivalent. It's a completely different architecture. Hence, What Module Manager did in KSP1 is no longer required.

So mods can overwrite aspects of other mods without the need for a middle man (Module manager)? 

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

no. I didn't say that. I said it doesn't need Module Manager, or an equivalent. It's a completely different architecture. Hence, What Module Manager did in KSP1 is no longer required in KSP2.

Does that mean we'll still be able to do the sort of things that module manager allowed such as:

• Modify existing parts
  • Load a part only if another mod is installed
  • Apply logic and maths functions to parts

6 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

But how will I be able to freak out people with the power of rainbows?

33 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Dedicated mod?

I’m skeptical of too much built in mod support. The only other modded game I play is Stellaris, and finding mods and tracking down various “Compatibility Patches” is a nightmare. 

Anyway MM does so much more than just @PART. 

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Saw this in an article. 

Latest March 2020 release, for what it is worth

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/kerbal-space-program-2-release-date-multiplayer-everything-we-know/

@JPLRepo

@Just Jim

Can you or anyone else at Squad confirm March is the release month?

Edited by GoldForest

7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

How is this related to the topic of this thread, the glory of MM, cats and rainbows  ? 

That's my bad - I think I was aiming at a different open thread and dumped it here. Because I herp the derp. Sorry

14 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@JPLRepo

That's my bad - I think I was aiming at a different open thread and dumped it here. Because I herp the derp. Sorry

@Just Jim

7 hours ago, JPLRepo said:
7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Well, that confirms a question. KSP2 has built in Module Manager. 

The initial question would be formulated more correctly:
"Will KSP 2 provide the end users with an easy way to modify the characteristics and/or the behavior of the craft parts by editing a simple readable configuration file in text format (like the KSP *.cfg format and ModuleManager do), without program coding and/or compilation of a plugin or another distributable object file?"

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

I think there will be plenty of essential mods where you can hide that power ;)

Edit:

Unless it's actually included in the core game too ...

Edited by Curveball Anders