Stage descending on the lower one

Hi guys

I have a problem with my Apollo Rocket: The 2 upper stages are falling down on the lower one when I trigger the action group to use the Escape tower on top of the command pod.

The action group do 2 things:

- Separation of the Command pod from the rocket

-Ignition of the 4 engines of the Escape tower to allow the command pod to climb away

This is the first stage.

On the second stage are ullage motors that allows tower separation from the command pod when Safe altitude is reached

On the Third stage are the chutes of the command pod.

What I do not u understand is why the 2nd and 3rd stages fall in the first one when I trigger the action group: the consequences are simultaneous ignition of the alleges motors and opening of the chutes.....

Any idea of why this happen?

I'm having a little trouble picturing this, especially what you mean by "falling" ; can you post a screenshot or video?  

First order of business might be to verify you don't have any extraneous commands in your action groups, or staging sequence. 

You could also try setting separate action groups for your subsequent events, rather than using the regular staging sequence.

Hi

That's easy: at the beginning, let's say you have 4 stages. you take off

When you finish your burn on stage 1,  you trigger an action group to decouple and burn on stage 2, or you just hit your space bar to decouple and burn on stage 2, and suddenly you don't have any stage 2, stage 3 and Stage 4, you have only stage 2 with all the items of stage 3 and 4 that have fallen inside!

Didn't you ever experience that?

2 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hi

That's easy: at the beginning, let's say you have 4 stages. you take off

When you finish your burn on stage 1,  you trigger an action group to decouple and burn on stage 2, or you just hit your space bar to decouple and burn on stage 2, and suddenly you don't have any stage 2, stage 3 and Stage 4, you have only stage 2 with all the items of stage 3 and 4 that have fallen inside!

Didn't you ever experience that?

It happens sometimes but only when something is not  triggered/staged the right way/order.

For example if you are in Stage 1 and trigger something from stage 3 or 4 with an action group number or manually(NOT with spacebar)

then when you hit the spacebar, it will trigger everything from the stage you ''accidentally'' triggered something.

So make sure you have everything in order and if you have to then put more stages to single out action group uhh actions that you dont want to overlap.

I hope i made some sense!Its late :) .

Edited by Boyster

Yes it make sense, but the fact is that, in my Apollo rocket, the safety tower that is only use in case of emergency is at the top stages because it is not supposed to be triggered.

That's why I use action group to test it and as it is in the top stages, that explain why other stages fall accidentally.

I am going to try different way

thank you

3 hours ago, gilflo said:

Yes it make sense, but the fact is that, in my Apollo rocket, the safety tower that is only use in case of emergency is at the top stages because it is not supposed to be triggered.

That's why I use action group to test it and as it is in the top stages, that explain why other stages fall accidentally.

I am going to try different way

thank you

Use the Abort Action Group for the tower if it needs only one ''stage'' to work!

Its default key its backspace and feels really good to use it :P .I think you can also click the alarm button at the top of the screen(Again mind foggy, still havent slept :D ).

Right click to see if you can disable Staging in some parts of it, so they dont appear along the others.

If it needs more ''stages'', try putting them in high numbers 8,9 etc in action group ;) .

Edited by Boyster

13 hours ago, Boyster said:

Use the Abort Action Group for the tower if it needs only one ''stage'' to work!

Its default key its backspace and feels really good to use it :P .I think you can also click the alarm button at the top of the screen(Again mind foggy, still havent slept :D ).

Right click to see if you can disable Staging in some parts of it, so they dont appear along the others.

If it needs more ''stages'', try putting them in high numbers 8,9 etc in action group ;) .

This, abort should kill all engines on all stages, decouple the command module and ignite the escape tower. You want to key the escape tower getting dropped and ignited  next stage after dropping 2 stage or more typical in KSP after dropping first stage. You are out of the atmosphere and on an lower TWR engine. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.