Graphics requirements

MartinH

I want to know requirements because i have intel core I3 and KSP is running good only on one of the lowest settings.

Because new graphic of planets ,clouds and other improvements may make the game much harder to run.

1 hour ago, MartinH said:

I want to know requirements because i have intel core I3 and KSP is running good only on one of the lowest settings.

Because new graphic of planets ,clouds and other improvements may make the game much harder to run.

We don't know. They won't release any information right now. Wait a few months until launch (between March and June), and then we'll get information. They are still making the game. Requirements will change through the process. I'd rather have to wait a month before launch to find out than them change the requirements every month before launch.

5 hours ago, Zero_a_ said:

I suspect that KSP2 will have around the same system requirements with only demanding a little more from your GPU.

I doubt it.. I posted the below in another thread as a good guide..

As most new games (of significance) you can almost guarantee it will NOT be Windows 8.1 or below. I say 8.1 as Microsoft were very quick to dismiss 8.0 and 8.1 was one that many people tried to avoid (general rule, avoid every second Windows). As Windows 7 will no longer be supported from Jan 2020 you can guarantee that Windows 7 will not be a minimum, 8.1 possibly a minimum but I'd go as far to say Windows 10 will be the min requirement. It gives developers more room to move into the future if Win 10 was set as minimum..

Microsoft were quick to try and get people onto Windows 10 by offering a free upgrade to Win 10 from July 2016 through to Jan 2018.  So if you missed out on this free upgrade, then start saving to purchase Win 10 (if your system can cope with it).

CPU - x32 or x64. Given KSP 1 moved away from x32 and moved to x64, and Windows 10 majority being x64, I'd say x64 will be required. Adding x32 support for KSP2 would be going backwards.

Memory. As I have dismissed x32 bit being considered, and x32 was limited to around 3.5 gb ram, the push now for many games is x64 and 8gb, I'd say you will need 8gb minimum here.

GFX card. The push for smooth, reflective, DX10 / DX11 graphics, you would need to consider a graphics card with DX10 or 11 as minimum. So Nvidia GeForce 8 series and above. ATI's 3400 / 3600 series and above. I wouldn't be surprised if DX11 will be the requirement however.

HDD - I'd use 10gb as a rough number. I wouldn't say minimum but could well be. So for now, I'd say 10gb would be a safe bet.

KSP1 Minimum specs are;

Windows 7 x64.

Core 2 Duo

4gb Ram

DX10

3gb HDD Space.

KSP1 Recommended specs are;

Windows 10 x64

Core i5

8gn Ram

DX10

4gb HDD.

What I've suggested is probably not far from what the minimum will be. If you don't have that, then start saving.

Edited by Radar

Game is supposed to release in 2020. And it's supposed not only to run good, but also look good. Intel graphics and/or i3 is just weak at this point, since even pixelated indies have astronomical requirements (I had problems to run Stardew Valley on my 11year old notebook, despite it looks).

Invest. Requirements will be much higher, guaranteed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, The Aziz said:

Game is supposed to release in 2020. And it's supposed not only to run good, but also look good. Intel graphics and/or i3 is just weak at this point, since even pixelated indies have astronomical requirements (I had problems to run Stardew Valley on my 11year old notebook, despite it looks).

Invest. Requirements will be much higher, guaranteed.

Indie devs don't tend to know how to write highly optimized code. It's a difficult skill, moreso if you're self taught.

But yeah, minimum spec for KSP 2 is likely higher than recommend spec for KSP 1.

If they include anywhere near the same graphics options as KSP1, you won't have a problem tweaking graphics settings way down. Besides, it's not your GPU limiting your frames in KSP, it's your i3. Lots of physics-based calculations going on.

2 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Just go grab a surplus desktop for 200 and a RX 570/GTX 1050 ti (if it doesn't have power connectors) for 100 bucks. 

300 dollars and you can rock KSP and most other games at 1080p medium in the worst case.

^ Sound advice.  Refurb/off-lease machines are cheap and generally pretty reliable.

43 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

^ Sound advice.  Refurb/off-lease machines are cheap and generally pretty reliable.

If you want, half it. 150 on the GPU, 150 on the machine. You could get a solid ryzen machine, using your old psu for now, and have a discreet gpu.

Here's one. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cK3WGc

Now, keep in mind - you'll need a case, storage, and a PSU. If you haven't built a computer before, DM me.

Or, just tell me which version of i3 it is. Remember, the current generation i3 is BETTER than the first-gen i7, so the number itself doesn't really matter, just the generation.

If it's a high enough version, you just need a good GPU.

While the above advice is good, including the ones from other posts, please, please tell us more about your system before doing anything.

Edited by Concodroid

My rule of thumb is running it using GPU.

Here's my specs sheet :

• HP Pavillion g4
    • Will upgrade to Windows 10 this year-end using Media Creation Kit
  • RAM : 4GB RAM
  • CPU : Intel Core i5-2450M, 2.5GHz
  • GPU : AMD Radeon HD 7450M
  • Storage : 500GB HDD

So far running KSP1 using GPU gives me almost no lag, but some toleratable lag with my largest rockets & planes.

But the pain intensifies as I broke through the sound barrier with Aero Effects Quality set to full.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

2 hours ago, Concodroid said:

If you want, half it. 150 on the GPU, 150 on the machine. You could get a solid ryzen machine, using your old psu for now, and have a discreet gpu.

Here's one. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cK3WGc

Now, keep in mind - you'll need a case, storage, and a PSU. If you haven't built a computer before, DM me.

Or, just tell me which version of i3 it is. Remember, the current generation i3 is BETTER than the first-gen i7, so the number itself doesn't really matter, just the generation.

If it's a high enough version, you just need a good GPU.

While the above advice is good, including the ones from other posts, please, please tell us more about your system before doing anything.

Since most of these people are on laptops i'm assuming they need a machine from scratch, still good advice though.

Actually, the required processor specs may be dropping. I know that sounds odd, but with the new threading abilities, processing the physics is going to be much easier on the system.. not to mention that they are implementing a physics "LOD" system on top of that, which is supposed to make it even easier on the processor.  The physics calculations are generally what slowed us down before. This time around, I believe it's going to be graphics upgrades that you'll be focusing on.
  They've already stated that you'll be able to have a much higher part count than in the previous game due to the new engine (I believe I heard them say  "Around 5x more, but I'm not giving that as a definite answer" in one interview). That in itself basically says "no upgrade needed here", however, we've all seen the new graphics. They're definitely going to be at least slightly more demanding.

Edited by Talavar

On 9/20/2019 at 4:28 AM, FahmiRBLXian said:

My rule of thumb is running it using GPU.

Here's my specs sheet :

• HP Pavillion g4
    • Will upgrade to Windows 10 this year-end using Media Creation Kit
  • RAM : 4GB RAM
  • CPU : Intel Core i5-2450M, 2.5GHz
  • GPU : AMD Radeon HD 7450M
  • Storage : 500GB HDD

So far running KSP1 using GPU gives me almost no lag, but some toleratable lag with my largest rockets & planes.

But the pain intensifies as I broke through the sound barrier with Aero Effects Quality set to full.

You main issue is memory, my current KSP game require 8 GB loaded into KSC
Assume memory use will go up with KSP2. 
GPU is an bit weak as in having problems with stuff like Skyrim https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7450M.57211.0.html
But asume you can run KSP on low.