Cooking experiments that went right

Spacescifi

Post a recipe for food that you normally do not mix that you personalky did. And it tasted good.

I go first:

Pumpkin cornbread crumble

U need: A box of cornbread mix (preferably one with sugar in it), one can of unsweetened pumpkin, flour and water

EDIT: I forgot to add that I used an egg, which is critical for the richness of the dessert taste.

Mix it up up really good until it is mixed well.

I did not measure, but it is safe to say that the flour is what makes it taste like pie.

Bake in the oven and you will have some sweet pumpkin pie crumble.

Now what's your cooking recipe that went right? Even though it an odd experiment?

Edited by Spacescifi

Well this is going to be an empty thread...

Microwaved scrambled eggs. Scramble an egg, dump it into a microwaveable bowl, heat for ~30s, stir, heat for 30 more seconds and presto! The texture is surprisingly light and airy, but the flavor can be a bit bland when nothing is mixed in. Try adding a bit of bell pepper, pepper, onion, olive oil, or cheese.

It makes a good, healthy, on the go breakfast. 

i have this thing called admiral lucifer's chicken. its like general tao, but hotter. i never actually wrote down the recipe but it worked pretty well.

yesterday made an applesauce cake that was pretty good. i used an amish recipe, they are not afraid of the things that are bad for you.

my pork ribs are to die for. i usually do a season salt and smoked paprika rub down and seal them in about 3 layers of aluminium foil. these are usually left in the fridge overnight. then they cook about 3-4 hours at 225. then you make some sauce. you can use store bought but it usually lacks the staying power necessary to make good ribs. you do a lot to dress it up. the big thing is you want to add a source of sugar, usually brown or honey also works, add extra spices, and reduce it down till its thick as mud. foil up your grill and lay down a layer of sauce stick your ribs on top of it and throw down another layer of sauce. cook it low and slow until the sauce on the foil starts to burn. 

yea cooking is a lost art. people take so many shortcuts these days where its hard to call what they eat food. odd thing is by doing it yourself you end up saving money and never find yourself staring down a plate of inedible quizine debating the ethics of simply throwing it away. its one of those things where you will make mistakes, but if you can learn from them and gain experience you eventually get a handle on what works and what don't. just remember that recipes are merely guidelines and that following them to a t doesn't always produce the desired results. 

Edited by Nuke

I made tapenade for the first time.

A stuck lid on one of the olive cans cut my hand and made me extremely irate. And some of the basil and garlic did not completely grind up in the food processor,. But when the finished product was spread upon pita bread, it was very delicious and well worth the effort. Thus this culinary experiment was a success!

On 8/22/2019 at 8:45 AM, Nuke said:

i have this thing called admiral lucifer's chicken. its like general tao, but hotter. i never actually wrote down the recipe but it worked pretty well.

yesterday made an applesauce cake that was pretty good. i used an amish recipe, they are not afraid of the things that are bad for you.

my pork ribs are to die for. i usually do a season salt and smoked paprika rub down and seal them in about 3 layers of aluminium foil. these are usually left in the fridge overnight. then they cook about 3-4 hours at 225. then you make some sauce. you can use store bought but it usually lacks the staying power necessary to make good ribs. you do a lot to dress it up. the big thing is you want to add a source of sugar, usually brown or honey also works, add extra spices, and reduce it down till its thick as mud. foil up your grill and lay down a layer of sauce stick your ribs on top of it and throw down another layer of sauce. cook it low and slow until the sauce on the foil starts to burn. 

yea cooking is a lost art. people take so many shortcuts these days where its hard to call what they eat food. odd thing is by doing it yourself you end up saving money and never find yourself staring down a plate of inedible quizine debating the ethics of simply throwing it away. its one of those things where you will make mistakes, but if you can learn from them and gain experience you eventually get a handle on what works and what don't. just remember that recipes are merely guidelines and that following them to a t doesn't always produce the desired results. 

I am extremely interested in the ingredients and recipe fo4 Admiral Lucifer's chicken. Please let me know.

Paprika is strange, as the atuff out a can of seasoning never has any flavor to me. Perhaps that is why u smoke it?

Yeah, it a lost art all right. My generation learned cooking at their mothers’ knee, like my wife. The current generation would rather stare at a screen. Maybe it would help if some genius could develop a tele-robotic kitchen that could be operated via smartphone. That might inspire this generation...

I can cook, if one doesn’t mind a little charcoal on their food, but I’m lazy. Hot dogs and pasta is about my speed....

7 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

I am extremely interested in the ingredients and recipe fo4 Admiral Lucifer's chicken. Please let me know.

Paprika is strange, as the atuff out a can of seasoning never has any flavor to me. Perhaps that is why u smoke it?

admiral lucifer was an experiment i did over a decade ago. so i dont remember exactly what i did. but i did recently do a variant of the original tso that came out pretty good. you are supposed to use dark meat but i used a bunch of chicken breast tenders cut up into small pieces. these were salted, peppered and dredged in flour (you can use corn starch but that is an ingredient that can really screw up a recipe if used wrong) then fried in about a quarter inch of oil at about medium heat. be sure to dredge the pieces a few at a time otherwise they will stick together. place them in the oil, let them cook on one side until golden brown, flip them over and do the same for the other side. when they are done move them over to some paper towels to soak up the grease. for the sauce i used that thai sweet chili sauce and hoisin sauce (i use my own, but i think you can buy it). get another add a tablespoon of sesame oil, the chicken and the sauce on medium heat and allow the sauce to thicken (if you have trouble getting this to happen you might have to add a teaspoon of corn starch mixed in thoroughly before the sauce is mixed in, its one of those trial and error things), then its ready to serve. i think the main thing i did different with admiral lucifer was the choice in sauces, i think i used a mexican habanero hot sauce instead of the sweet chili sauce and i threw in some small chili peppers. i was living in phoenix at the time so spicy food was always on the menu. 

Edited by Nuke

I made a lot of very average Madras meals (usually chicken, sometimes vegetable) over the years, then one time I found I didn't have any canned tomatoes, so I used a large jar of passatta instead... result, super tasty.

I've used passatta in them ever since.

19 hours ago, Nuke said:

admiral lucifer was an experiment i did over a decade ago. so i dont remember exactly what i did. but i did recently do a variant of the original tso that came out pretty good. you are supposed to use dark meat but i used a bunch of chicken breast tenders cut up into small pieces. these were salted, peppered and dredged in flour (you can use corn starch but that is an ingredient that can really screw up a recipe if used wrong) then fried in about a quarter inch of oil at about medium heat. be sure to dredge the pieces a few at a time otherwise they will stick together. place them in the oil, let them cook on one side until golden brown, flip them over and do the same for the other side. when they are done move them over to some paper towels to soak up the grease. for the sauce i used that thai sweet chili sauce and hoisin sauce (i use my own, but i think you can buy it). get another add a tablespoon of sesame oil, the chicken and the sauce on medium heat and allow the sauce to thicken (if you have trouble getting this to happen you might have to add a teaspoon of corn starch mixed in thoroughly before the sauce is mixed in, its one of those trial and error things), then its ready to serve. i think the main thing i did different with admiral lucifer was the choice in sauces, i think i used a mexican habanero hot sauce instead of the sweet chili sauce and i threw in some small chili peppers. i was living in phoenix at the time so spicy food was always on the menu. 

Thanks will try when I gather up the ingredients and likely tell ya how it goes

I tried caramelizing onions. Well, one single onion. Perhaps I could have prepared two, but one seemed plenty when I was starting. It reduced in size dramatically.

A little bit of olive oil in a pan, chopped up onion, some salt, some sugar and a whole lot of fire.

It turned out pretty good. Once the onion got decently brown it lost all its oniony taste and was completely transformed.

Perhaps I was a bit overzealous with the flame and the onion could have been cooked a bit slower, but I'll still call this a success.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:02 PM, Shpaget said:

I tried caramelizing onions. Well, one single onion. Perhaps I could have prepared two, but one seemed plenty when I was starting. It reduced in size dramatically.

A little bit of olive oil in a pan, chopped up onion, some salt, some sugar and a whole lot of fire.

It turned out pretty good. Once the onion got decently brown it lost all its oniony taste and was completely transformed.

Perhaps I was a bit overzealous with the flame and the onion could have been cooked a bit slower, but I'll still call this a success.

The carmelization works wonders with pungent veggies. French Onion Soup can be an extension of this experiment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.