GRRRrr! KIS, KAS and unuseable ports on existing ships

strider3

I have to vent a little here, that being said, feel free to move on.

The entire KAS, KIS and "new" vs. legacy parts is probably the single biggest reason I am so aggravated with these mods, and KSP in general, at this point.

I am in the middle of a year's (real time) worth of work to explore the Jool system and Eeloo. This involves 10 ships, a stop at my mining/refueling operation at Dres, and getting these ships refueled and ready to explore Jool's system and Eeloo. I had to change my Dres fuel hauler, which brings fuel from the mining operation into orbit and unloads it at the various orbiting stations, because it was way under powered and totally inefficient. Much to my chagrin, I find that this ship, now landed at Dres, has ports called "JS-1", and not the "legacy" CC-R2's I need to connect to the rest of my mining operation. OK..."My bad"...I get it...but the entire KIS-KAS "upgrade" instructions, which I have read and tried to understand several times, remain clear as mud to me. Add to that my possible "fix", which is my engineer on Dres moving CC-R2 ports and connecting them to the fuel hauler not working...he can't seem to pick up disconnected items and put them back in his inventory, so he can replace the current ports on the hauler with the legacy ports that I have disconnected and now have laying all over the surface of Dres...and maybe you see my aggravation. Since I can't add anything to my engineers inventory, for some reason, I am stuck with "grabbing" an item, moving it 1-2 meters and dropping it...repeating that, over and over, to try and replace "new" parts with legacy parts from those available at my mining operation.

At this point I have to be completely honest...the constant "upgrades" and waiting for my few mods to also be upgraded has done nothing for my enjoyment of KSP. I think "upgrading" can become a detriment unto itself, at some point? Can we not just enjoy the darn thing, as is? Must we spend many months on complicated missions only to find that we can't enjoy the updates that "break" our ongoing efforts, that have mods not updated?

OK, I've vented. Move along, there is nothing to see here.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

Nobody's making you update KSP when one is released.  If it's that frustrating, get with a version and mods that work for you and that you enjoy, and ignore the updates.

I always feel like I'm missing something if I don't.

Just now, Victor3 said:

I always feel like I'm missing something if I don't.

How much are you missing if you spend most of the time fighting it?

Maybe only do every other update?  Don't stress yourself out over it, find something that works and just play.

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

How much are you missing if you spend most of the time fighting it?

Maybe only do every other update?  Don't stress yourself out over it, find something that works and just play.

You are right, of course...but now I have this "situation" on Dres. Guess I'll just let my engineer "hump" CC-R2 ports, 1 meter at a time. I'm NOT starting over, LOL!

Like I said, also...just "venting".

Edited by Victor3

This situation seems like the perfect application of the hyperedit KIS container drop pod, like when my base's robotic part solar panel arms krakened-out and I teleported over replacements. It isn't cheating if you're fixing a bug.

15 hours ago, EnderKid2 said:

This situation seems like the perfect application of the hyperedit KIS container drop pod, like when my base's robotic part solar panel arms krakened-out and I teleported over replacements. It isn't cheating if you're fixing a bug.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :rolleyes:

Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong on trying to add the old CC-R2 ports to my inventory and removing the new ones from the hauler. Now the Kraken appears all the time and destroys my Dres mining base.

I'm way over it.  This is why I left other simulations...lots and lots of hard work...only to be rewarded with total destruction of one type or another.

See you in KSP 2.0...maybe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.