Speculations on what the new KSC will look like.

GoldForest

From the video above we can make out a few things about the new KSC
-The first and foremost thing is that the KSC is now separated into islands in a marsh/pond like area. 
-Second, it has not 1, but 2 very larger runways, I would argue these are longer and possibly wider than KSC OG Runway. 
-Third, next to those runways are helipads, or if you're a propulsive landing fanatic, they could double as landing pads for boosters. I only catch a glimpse of 4 pads, but I assume there are five or more due to the placement and how equal distant they look along the runway. 
-Fourth, there are 4 launch pads, possibly 5 or more, all ranging in size and shape. At least one pad has a launch tower, but it can be argued they all do, ranging in size and shape. 
--The launch towers are on crawlers. Whether these crawlers are able to move or be controlled is unknown at this time. 
-Fifth, buildings, launch pads and runways do not have a destruction feature built into the game as of yet, but as they have said they want to put everything KSP 1 had and more in, I don't doubt that at release destructible entities will exist.
-Sixth, the communication array at the KSC seems to be altered from three dishes to one massive dish. 
-Seventh, the rockets on the launch pad have chill or cooling effects. You can make out mist falling off the rockets, a sign of real world cryofueled rockets. This effect also lasts for a few seconds after launch, and possibly further. 
-Eighth, launch pads have or can be outfitted with engine igniters. This might be a sign that engines are more realistic and have starter fuel. This also might be a sign that fuel tanks might need to be settled before engine ignition can begin. Watch out for your upper stages if this is the case. 
-Ninth, the launch pad the rocket is sitting on may be a part. Modular launch pads my be stock in KSP2. "It didn't explode though." It may have a higher tolerance or may not have damage programed into it. It may be an immortal part as of this footage, but may change at launch or just before launch. 
-Tenth, The launch tower may be a part, modular launch towers may be stock. "It didn't explode though." See ninth point.
-Eleventh, The crawler the launch tower is on may be a part, crawlers might finally be in game. "It didn't explode though." See ninth point.

These are the things I noticed in the pre-alpha footage. If I missed anything, please do say so. 

Edited by GoldForest

7 minutes ago, Laie said:

The world seems to be no bigger than good old Kerbin, still requiring the funky physics we're familiar with.

The Kerbol system they said they wouldn't change much if at all. The only real changes would be terrain difference on Kerbin as well as better textures for Kerbin, Mun, and all the other entities of the Kerbol system. 

14 minutes ago, Kaerbanogue said:

What bothers me in the new KSC is those rivers... Will we have to cross rivers before reaching ocean as we do in KSP1 in 5 minutes by descending the runaway? :huh:

Cross rivers like in KSP 1? What?

1 minute ago, Kaerbanogue said:

Not like ksp 1, sorry. Yes, won't would it be redondant to follow the stream each time we built a "floating" craft? 

Well, the runway isn't even near the ocean. It's actually on the inland side of the KSC it looks like. I'm attempting to draw a map, I will have it up soonish. It's a rough map, so artist style is going to me.. meh... that and I'm terrible with drawing based of a picture.

But to answer your question, we have to cross land to get to the ocean. I say having a water way right near launch is actually a good thing. 

Spoiler

MIDfgT0.png

Here's a map I made. I'm no artist and I'm no map maker, but I drew this by eye the best I could. 

Green is the land we can see. 
Red is the land we can't see.
Red is also me speculating on the location of the launch pads and helipad we can't see. 
Tiny rectangles are launch pads.
Circles are helipads/booster landing pads
Blue is of course water. 

I made the map running north to south as I thought I could see an 18 at the end of the runway, but thinking about it, that might be a 09 or even 24. 

I believe the VAB and SPH and other buildings are just above the top circle.

I speculate that the rocket launched from the top right pad. The one just left of the unseen helipad. 

Edited by GoldForest

Many interesting details. I think most of the launch effect will only be visual and will have no change on the gameplay. I would be surprise to have cryogenic tank to manage.

I hope it will be possible to build colonies on Kerbin, since it will be possible to have VAB buildings it should be possible to build our own KSC elsewhere....

4 minutes ago, Urus28 said:

Many interesting details. I think most of the launch effect will only be visual and will have no change on the gameplay. I would be surprise to have cryogenic tank to manage.

I hope it will be possible to build colonies on Kerbin, since it will be possible to have VAB buildings it should be possible to build our own KSC elsewhere....

Ooo, I didn't even think of that. Oh! Polar colonies to launch rockets from the north or south pole!

It may well be in a different part of the planet. From what we see in the video, It might be similar, that tiny shot of it from the Mun

Edited by Tw1

34 minutes ago, Tw1 said:

It may well be in a different part of the planet. From what we see in the video, It might be similar, that tiny shot of it from the Mun

I can’t remember if it was in the developer story trailer or the interview, but they said that the KSC is in the same area on Kerbin as in KSP1.

Edited by RealKerbal3x
Clarification

8 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

I'm sad there won't be an end game Alcubierre drive. Since "no warp drives or things like that."

As long as there are modders, there will be warp drives, no fear of that.  I like that they're staying away from that in stock though, I've generally not played with super futuristic mods (at least not functional mods, aesthetics are a different matter) but I feel like a warp drive would be a bit too OP and different from the normal mechanics to include stock.  Personally, I can't wait to try and turn'n'burn a giant fusion engine.  what could go wrong?

1 minute ago, Teek said:

As long as there are modders, there will be warp drives, no fear of that.  I like that they're staying away from that in stock though, I've generally not played with super futuristic mods (at least not functional mods, aesthetics are a different matter) but I feel like a warp drive would be a bit too OP and different from the normal mechanics to include stock.  Personally, I can't wait to try and turn'n'burn a giant fusion engine.  what could go wrong?

4 years to get up to 12% the speed of light. Coast until you're 4 years away from your target, 4 years of burning, arrival.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:
  Reveal hidden contents

MIDfgT0.png

Here's a map I made. I'm no artist and I'm no map maker, but I drew this by eye the best I could. 

Green is the land we can see. 
Red is the land we can't see.
Red is also me speculating on the location of the launch pads and helipad we can't see. 
Tiny rectangles are launch pads.
Circles are helipads/booster landing pads
Blue is of course water. 

I made the map running north to south as I thought I could see an 18 at the end of the runway, but thinking about it, that might be a 09 or even 24. 

I speculate that the rocket launched from the top right pad. The one just left of the unseen helipad. 

Great work on the map!  I like the new layout, seems devised for multiplayer but also obviously references Kennedy, definitely spices things up from the usual layout.  I guess we'll just need to confirm where the suspicious and slightly ominous black monolith will be this time.

I also need to find out where I'll put Methuselah Kerman, my customary on-base time-keeper/mascot/rent-free... unintended inhabitant.

5 minutes ago, Teek said:

Great work on the map!  I like the new layout, seems devised for multiplayer but also obviously references Kennedy, definitely spices things up from the usual layout.  I guess we'll just need to confirm where the suspicious and slightly ominous black monolith will be this time.

I also need to find out where I'll put Methuselah Kerman, my customary on-base time-keeper/mascot/rent-free... unintended inhabitant.

It's not the best map, but thanks. 

51 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I can’t remember if it was in the developer story trailer or the interview, but they said that the KSC is in the same area on Kerbin as in KSP1.

.... I headcannon this was caused by global warming.

It's nice to see the island chain there, but I hope we get the mountains too.

That said, I wonder what the buildings will look like. And if they're not similar, how long until mod makes add in classic look options. (TBH kerbal konstructs is one mod i hope gets remade for this),

This  new game sounds fantastic, but I'm quite attached to the original place, and it's background. I hope they add similar mountains before release. 

Edited by Tw1

4 minutes ago, Tw1 said:

.... I headcannon this was caused by global warming.

It's nice to see the island chain there, but I hope we get the mountains too.

That said, I wonder what the buildings will look like. And if they're not similar, how long until mod makes add in classic look options. (TBH kerbal konstructs is one mod i hope gets remade for this)

Me too, as I rely on KK for Kerbin Side Remastered. And I would love to make more airfields in KSP2. I suspect I'll have to recreate all my models though.

Edited by Eskandare

32 minutes ago, tater said:

Honestly a reboot of KSP should have gone to a more realistic scale.

Despite all my skepticism deep down I'm hoping that the devs know this, and have designed an alternative starting planet/system for players who wear their big boy space suit pants.