How many people want Mac/Linux support at launch?

How many people want Mac/Linux support at launch?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How many people want Mac/Linux support at launch?

• We should have Mac/Linux support at launch.
    • We should have Mac/Linux support later.
    • We should never have Mac/Linux support.

I know the new Dev team hasn't confirmed or denied immediate Mac/Linux support. But I think it'd be a right shame if part of the established community couldn't play KSP 2, I'm no programmer though so there might be unforeseen obstacles that I don't understand.

Thoughts?

Edited by Ol’ Musky Boi

Hello

I know that it is another work to make but I really hope for Linux native version of this game. We run a physics class in school with 30 PCs and we definitely can afford 30 licenses of KSP2, but we cannot switch to Windows anymore. Thanks to KSP1, physics classes at school are most popular and educative.

I hope to hear soon a little confirmation of making Linux version

Thanks

On 8/22/2019 at 6:19 AM, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

I know the new Dev team hasn't confirmed or denied immediate Mac/Linux support. But I think it'd be a right shame if part of the established community couldn't play KSP 2, I'm no programmer though so there might be unforeseen obstacles that I don't understand.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Douby said:

Hello

I know that it is another work to make but I really hope for Linux native version of this game. We run a physics class in school with 30 PCs and we definitely can afford 30 licenses of KSP2, but we cannot switch to Windows anymore. Thanks to KSP1, physics classes at school are most popular and educative.

I hope to hear soon a little confirmation of making Linux version

Thanks

IIRC, the devs said there would only be launching on windows at launch, but they are not against bring Linux/mac support in a future update. 

Right now, the best way to play KSP 2 on Mac or Linux is to do a Windows VM. 

Edit: 

Q: Will it be made available on Mac and/or Linux?

A: We have no announcements for these platforms at this time, but we are always looking at ways to bring KSP to as many players as we can!

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187315-kerbal-space-program-2-master-post/

Edited by GoldForest

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

IIRC, the devs said there would only be launching on windows at launch, but they are not against bring Linux/mac support in a future update.

Can you link to an article/post/tweet/video/whatever where a dev says that ? This subforum is already full of people freaking out about stuff that no one can corroborate so if you have some cold hard facts then share them.

1 minute ago, sarbian said:

Can you link to an article/post/tweet/video/whatever where a dev says that ? This subforum is already full of people freaking out about stuff that no one can corroborate so if you have some cold hard facts then share them.

Look in my post. I put a link to the master post where they said it. 

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Right now, the best way to play KSP 2 on Mac or Linux is to do a Windows VM. 

Edit: 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187315-kerbal-space-program-2-master-post/

I'd be miffed if I couldn't play KSP 2 at launch not going to lie. But I do understand their reasoning.

2 hours ago, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

I'd be miffed if I couldn't play KSP 2 at launch not going to lie. But I do understand their reasoning.

I understand why they're focusing on one platform. They are a team of 30+. They want to make sure their product works before bringing it to other platforms.

Edited by GoldForest

I voted "never."

Not because I have anything against Linux or Mac users (I'm both as a matter of fact), but because supporting more platforms is a PITA even if the engine has the bells and whistles to produce the executables. Launching a brand new game is hairy enough as it is and I'd rather they focused on one platform to make it as good as they can. These things have costs, both money and opportunity.

I would in general prefer that they narrow the scope of KSP2 as much as possible. The colony-building mechanics are going to be a handful as it is. Add more stuff later.

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

I voted "never."

Not because I have anything against Linux or Mac users (I'm both as a matter of fact), but because supporting more platforms is a PITA even if the engine has the bells and whistles to produce the executables. Launching a brand new game is hairy enough as it is and I'd rather they focused on one platform to make it as good as they can. These things have costs, both money and opportunity.

I would in general prefer that they narrow the scope of KSP2 as much as possible. The colony-building mechanics are going to be a handful as it is. Add more stuff later.

The fact that KSP 2 is being written in Unity means that supporting additional platforms should be relatively easy.

I play/write mods on Linux and going into all that windows shenanigans in order to run ksp 2 would be very inconvenient for me, but sadly, I have a gut feeling that if Linux support wasn't announced in the beginning it's not going to happen any time soon, despite the engine being Unity. Frankly, there are too few of us and launching a new game will bring a lot of issues to deal with. If the team is not committed to the multiplatform support at the start, I don't see them having enough free resources for that after the launch, at least not in the first year or two.

The Unity Editor makes it quite straightforward to export to Mac or Linux with very little extra work. So I don't understand why they can't release on all three platforms on the same day. Otherwise, if they use Vulkan, then KSP may be able to run on Linux on Proton in Steam with native speed.

The poll options don't really suit my answer. Of course all things being equal I'd love my Mac brethren to be able to play. But I don't personally have any reason to desire it.

A better question is:

Would you buy KSP for Mac if it was released?
Yes, but only if it was at the same time as PC.
Yes, whenever it happens.
No.
(Any options I'm missing?)

Edited by 5thHorseman

39 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

The poll options don't really suit my answer. Of course all things being equal I'd love my Mac brethren to be able to play. But I don't personally have any reason to desire it.

A better question is:

Would you buy KSP for Mac if it was released?
Yes, but only if it was at the same time as PC.
Yes, whenever it happens.
No.
(Any options I'm missing?)

4th option: Yes, but I will use a Windows VM until then. 

I feel this should be an option. 

11 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

4th option: Yes, but I will use a Windows VM until then. 

I feel this should be an option. 

Actually I was making an assumption that I should not have, based on how KSP1 works. I was assuming that you would either buy the PC version or the Mac version, and if you wanted it on both you'd actually have to buy it twice. But KSP1 works on both. I can download the Mac or Linux versions from the store, at least I think I can. No clue how Steam works as I only have it on my Windows machine.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually I was making an assumption that I should not have, based on how KSP1 works. I was assuming that you would either buy the PC version or the Mac version, and if you wanted it on both you'd actually have to buy it twice. But KSP1 works on both. I can download the Mac or Linux versions from the store, at least I think I can. No clue how Steam works as I only have it on my Windows machine.

Steam works the same way, you can play your purchased games on any system you're logged into.

2 minutes ago, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

Steam works the same way, you can play your purchased games on any system you're logged into.

Then I'd change the poll to:

Would you buy KSP2 to play it on a Mac?

• Yes, but I would buy it and play it on PC first if it was released on PC first, then play it on Mac later when it is released for Mac.
  • Yes, but only when it's released for Mac and not before.
  • Not unless it's released on Mac in tandem with a PC release (The hard line!).
  • No, I'll be playing KSP2 on some other platform instead.
  • No, I will not play KSP2.

7 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I voted "never."

It sounds like it's basically KSP1 with better graphics and using the newer version of the engine. It's not. And why do you think you understand personally how hard it is. Your trying to throw people under the bus when you don't even know how it works. What are the specific problems you forsee with adding linux?!

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

• Yes, but I would buy it and play it on PC first if it was released on PC first, then play it on Mac later when it is released for Mac.

But... what about us Linux users? We're real people too, I swear!

21 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm guessing option 1 includes VM users?

45 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Well, I guess I'll accept Linux users1 as "people"...  If I have to.

1I use Linux when I find it useful.  I even have a bin directory to make the Windows command line actually useful.  It's not always the right answer, but sometimes, it is.
Macs, however...  15% of users, 80% of problems.2

2There are good Mac users, of course.  Marcus, for example.

Edited by razark

53 minutes ago, Arugela said:

What are the specific problems you forsee with adding linux?!

I don’t foresee any specific problems. If you can foresee them they’re generally not problems. It’s the ones that you don’t foresee that get you. I have some experience maintaining multiplatform software though and there are always some. I wish it wasn’t so but there you are.

52 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

They should get their own poll.

Why should the two be lumped together? :D

49 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I'm guessing option 1 includes VM users?

Yes.

Specifically I tried to word the poll in a way that would matter to someone deciding if it was worth the cost to port to Mac. They don't care how you play, only under what circumstances will you buy it or not.

I have a Mac and a PC. I'm actually thinking about building Linux on a machine I have lying around. I play KSP on my Mac, however. If it's not out for the Mac I won't likely buy it, ever.