How many people want Mac/Linux support at launch?

How many people want Mac/Linux support at launch?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How many people want Mac/Linux support at launch?

• We should have Mac/Linux support at launch.
    • We should have Mac/Linux support later.
    • We should never have Mac/Linux support.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:19 PM, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

I'm no programmer though so there might be unforeseen obstacles that I don't understand.

It's supposedly built on Unity, and Unity supports all those platforms as build targets.

As for whether KSP "should" have a MacOS and/or GNU/Linux build, should and shouldn't really don't come into it for me - If it doesn't run on GNU/Linux, I simply won't buy it.

1 hour ago, tater said:

I'm actually thinking about building Linux on a machine I have lying around.

Building Linux as in actually building it, i.e. a LFS or Gentoo install? :D

Edited by steve_v

2 hours ago, tater said:

I have a Mac and a PC. I'm actually thinking about building Linux on a machine I have lying around. I play KSP on my Mac, however. If it's not out for the Mac I won't likely buy it, ever.

KSP performance on the Mac is kinda terrible. I sometimes play it on an iMac where I also have Boot Camp, so it runs on the same hardware; the Mac version is really sluggish compared to the Windows one. 

My i7 iMac runs it OK, I haven't bothered to compare the 2. I have an old powerbook I was thinking of putting linux on (scrgging macos completely, not a VM---unsure which flavor, was thinking of Mint). I was actually planning on getting an i9 machine one of these days. Nice thing about my iMac is that it is completely silent, a feature any KSP machine I end up with has to share (not quiet, silent) because of where it is in the house (my backup drives are actual HDs, and I plan on getting rid of them for SSDs, I hate the fact I can hear them at all during a backup).

On 8/28/2019 at 5:33 AM, GoldForest said:

Right now, the best way to play KSP 2 on Mac or Linux is to do a Windows VM.

Actually, dual-boot is going to give you better "bare metal" play.  If you run in a VM you need to worry about graphics hardware passthrough which can lead to problems on the host machine if you're still running a GUI of any kind.

I have a USB3-connected m.2 external drive for dual-boot and runs like a top.  Still far faster than an internal magnetic HDD.  I can hibernate my machine and be running a different OS in like 30 seconds (literally).

I've found that with most games 'Linux later' will never happen. Even the promise of 'at lauch' is frequently broken. If multiple platform support isn't in the design from the start there usually isn't any incentive to add it later. If it sells great on Windows - why bother? And if it doesn't sell, there's no money left to do it...

2 hours ago, harryw said:

I've found that with most games 'Linux later' will never happen. Even the promise of 'at lauch' is frequently broken. If multiple platform support isn't in the design from the start there usually isn't any incentive to add it later. If it sells great on Windows - why bother? And if it doesn't sell, there's no money left to do it...

My point, exactly. 

I've only owned one Windows machine in my life, and that was a crappy refurb to practice some network stuff on. As much as I dislike the route MS is taking with Win10 (just set someone up on a new machine) I'll probably get a Windows machine next year for gaming and pop a linux HD in it for my daily driver. Getting tired of the workarounds and months/years long waits for some Linux game ports (looking at you Aspyr). Granted some projects do amazing work in this area, but sadly most don't. Is there a poll option for that?

Committed Linux user here,

Honestly? Do I want Linux support on launch day? Yes.

Do I need it? That very much depends on whether KSP will run nicely on Proton (or vanilla Wine, but I'd prefer Proton). If it will, I don't really care (I play many games that are "Windows only").

I am playing KSP on a Mac. I don't think I would be able to run KSP2 in the first place, so that's one thing out of the way.

If Mac support is not fully finished or it is still buggy by the time KSP2 is released, then no, I don't want it right out of the gate. I want a stable game that I can play comfortably and without issue. 

On 8/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, harryw said:

A happy counter-example is Bard's Tale 4.  Linux support promised at release, never happened then landed in a free upgrade almost a year later - last week, actually.

I'm not suggesting Linux gaming is a big enough market to support other than for marketing bullets, but it does happen.

• 2 weeks later...

If I can wait for Borderlands 3, I can wait for KSP 2.

Frankly the Linux support was the reason I purchased KSP 1 without knowing a whole lot about the game.

But even if they do only release it for Windows (at first, or ever), I have a feeling it won't fight with WINE.

• 1 month later...