Is the old textures of some parts will be back?

TheJoolian

As i see the annoucement,  i see the Mk1-3 Command Pod old texture. And i was thinking about it. "Would it the old textures will be back for the default parts?". If i am certainly confused of the old textures of some default parts. Strange... :P

190px-Mk1-2commandpod.png Confusement....

19 minutes ago, TheJoolian said:

As i see the annoucement,  i see the Mk1-3 Command Pod old texture. And i was thinking about it. "Would it the old textures will be back for the default parts?". If i am certainly confused of the old textures of some default parts. Strange... :P

190px-Mk1-2commandpod.png Confusement....

No, old textures won't be coming back. In fact, the textures from KSP 1 probably won't be in KSP 2 at all. 

Hmm, he may actually have a point here.  In the Cinematic trailer, it's hard to tell but at around 1:36, the module that the space plane undocks from does look like the old Mk 1-2 capsule, albeit with a very different and obviously higher resolution skin (basing this mostly on the hatch and ladder configuration on the model, seems to match up with the older design, rather than the Mk 1-3.)  Granted, that's a cinematic, so on it's own it wouldn't be conclusive. But then looking at the IGN interview, I think I see the old 3-man capsule show up again around 10:21.  Again, mainly determining this from the ladder and hatch design.  We see 3-man capsules in other areas of both the cinematic and gameplay footage, but it's harder to distinguish those, either because it's too zoomed out or too blurry.

I've noticed other things as well.  Like in 7:00 of the IGN interview, that landed rocket is using the old, pre-1.4 Large RCS Fuel Tank!  Others have also found the old Poodle engine in some videos.  I've also noticed that the lander can used in the cinematic trailer, while similar to the newer version of the Mk2, has a few differences in both the viewport and the hatch.  Fuel tanks seem to mostly be either new designs (for future tech) or based on recent expansions, but there are some differences.

Obviously we shouldn't read too much into this, as it's still early footage, but it makes me wonder.  Obviously, additional stock skins were a fairly late addition to KSP 1, and KSP2 seems to be going all in on skins, as I've seen at least 3 or 4 different variants of the same parts.  I wonder if we may also see trappable models as well, in a similar approach as the skins.  So long as the part's overall dimensions are more or less the same, I think it could be doable.  I also think I'd like seeing some of the old parts come back, if spiffed up a bit.  I do like the sleeker aesthetic we have now, but sometimes I miss when our ships looked like a bunch of oil drums bolted together.  Could present a nice sense of progression as you build, starting out with rusty and mismatched parts when you first get started on a campaign, but getting the option later to go for sleeker looks.  It definitely seems like they're designing this to be more visually significant from the get go, so I wouldn't be surprised if they put in more aesthetic features.  Hopefully this also means more consistent coloration for fairings and shrouds, etc.

My suspicion here is that work on KSP 2 started before stock parts began to get overhauled in KSP 1, which is why we are seeing designs inspired by older parts.

Take Two acquired KSP back in 2017, and it seems likely KSP 2 began development around then. Meanwhile, the Mk 1-3 command pod, upgraded Mk 2 lander can,  reworked poodle, and etc didn't exist until 2018, so it's not like KSP 2 would have even had a chance to use the updated models for reference.

Regardless, this doesn't matter much, as the models have clearly been updated anyway, just with a different style than Squad chose for their upgrades. Yes, the poodle in KSP 2 is inspired by a 7 year old design, but this does not mean it is 7 years old. The model and textures are quite clearly new and shiny, and that's what counts. Whether or not the process of making the model new and shiny adds an extra nozzle or changes the name from Mk 1-2 to Mk 1-3 has no impact on how good the part looks. Because it seems everything looks good in KSP 2, whether or not the model was made years ago or last week.

But then there are also some parts that look like they are from making history, in the trailer, at 1:17 in the trailer, you can see that some of the parts in that ship look a lot like the Making history black-and-white variant of the jumbo-64 fuel tank, (although this might be a scaled down version of the 3.75 large tank)

My guess it's just what they had to work with. And let's be honest, I'm pretty sure I saw some parts from existing mods, USI, Near Future, even Planetary Domes. That's for cinematic.

For the game, I think that now they work with placeholders for parts they already had, and as soon as they figure out what level of detail and artstyle they want, they'll do it. 

I mean, if we had some old engines to choose from, the Poodle wasn't exactly bad, but the current look of Mainsail is just ugh. Even if they pump up the textures.

Edited by The Aziz