Will Planets and Moons be larger in KSP 2?

With Kerbal Space Program 1 the Planets and Moons generally feel relatively small to our real world counter parts. Will Kerbal Space Program 2 feature larger scaled planets and moons of the current Kerbal system or will planets and moons stay relatively the same size in Kerbal Space Program 1?

I would assume that the planets won't change too much in terms of makeup. I think we're getting a graphical overhaul, but that's about it.

However, I have no idea if the same will apply to extrakerbolar systems. Since interstellar travel is going to be a thing, it's entirely possible that the devs will choose to keep the planets we're already familiar with the same but make the new ones more realistic in size.

4 minutes ago, heyyitsnick said:

With Kerbal Space Program 1 the Planets and Moons generally feel relatively small to our real world counter parts. Will Kerbal Space Program 2 feature larger scaled planets and moons of the current Kerbal system or will planets and moons stay relatively the same size in Kerbal Space Program 1?

KSP 1 is supposed to be small in comparison to real world planets. As for KSP 2, they said they weren't going to change the original planets much if at all. As for the new planets and moons, no one knows. 

I think there will be a super-Kerbin sized rocky planet somewhere. However this is a super-Earth analog and will probably be Earth-sized with super high gravity. I expect all the planets and stars to be scaled down similarly to KSP 1. 

World scale is effectively the only blanket difficulty setting we have when you get down to it, everything else is toggle features. I'd like if each system you visit is progressively more "real" sized until we're straight up landing on Earth and you need 10km/s to leave again. I don't think it'd be good to scale Kerbin up (much as I think it's way too small for the challenge now, keeping in mind everything is easy when you know how) as the flight times to orbit get longer and longer as you go, which will decrease the "trial and error refresh rate" and bore most players starting out. 10-15 minutes babysitting a rocket to orbit is a long time if you have to do it 20 times before you know whether your rocket works.

I hope they do change the Kerbol system a little bit, keep the same general layout but move/resize things enough that the system would actually be stable (maybe uhh... chuck in an extra gas giant between Jool and Eeloo though /cough)

I mean, if they baked in the ability to set system/body scaling as an option so people could crank that up for added difficulty that would also be great

I wouldn't mind a bit of adjustment to the sizes, but I think from a practical gameplay perspective, full sized is too much. From a pure time perspective, full-sized launches would take far more time, and I'd prefer not to have to spend so much time burning to orbit or doing long maneuver burns.

Really-old-school KSP needed about 4500 m/s because of the atmosphere and drag modelling. I think that provided the right balance of time versus challenge. Once the atmosphere and drag were fixed, launches needed only 3500 m/s, which made it a tad easy. I wouldn't mind if sizes were adjusted a bit so that you'd need around 4500 m/s again.

4 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Scalable universe as a difficulty setting... We can dream, right?

YES, please.  I would love to have a stock option to scale the whole solar system.   I'm always stuck waiting for the mod-makers (bless them) to catch up to the latest version before I can play it.  2 to 2.5 x scaled is perfect for me, and I've played on it so much the normal Kerbol system feels too small for me now.

With better planetary features(more detailed terrain, scatter, interesting places) coming with KPS2, even the old-sized planets should "feel" bigger for exploration, but i do agree that we could use  double-sized globes.

I vote for a stock RSS system that can be found via interstellar travel. And a big YES to scalable solar systems as a difficulty setting. Actually I find the latter to be of utmost importance to satisfy veteran player's skills and need for extended realism without having to rely on a cascade of mods that break through versions and time. 

41 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

I vote for a stock RSS system that can be found via interstellar travel. And a big YES to scalable solar systems as a difficulty setting. Actually I find the latter to be of utmost importance to satisfy veteran player's skills and need for extended realism without having to rely on a cascade of mods that break through versions and time. 

I got an idea: they could add a stock RSS system as one of those "free-dlcs", and add some new systems as paid dlcs.

1 hour ago, SkyKaptn said:

That's actually an awesome idea: The Sol system, found via interstellar travel, which would open a new tech tree for higher powered parts to reflect the much bigger planets with stronger gravity.

28 minutes ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Three size options: Classic, KSP1 scale; Medium, 2.5x JNSQ style scale, Real Scale.

I haven't used any scaled mods in KPS1, so i'm wondering how well the scaling works for vehicle parts, especially engines?

Is there a solid scaling formula for the parts so we can reliably and conveniently scale them without making them over or under powered?

Or do we just use the very same parts in an easier or more challenging environment?

Edited by Kerenatus

26 minutes ago, Kerenatus said:

s there a solid scaling formula for the parts so we can reliably and conveniently scale them without making them over or under powered?

There is a mod today (smurff) that with a few lines does, quote - "Stock and stockalike liquid fuel tanks (LFO, LF, Monoprop) have a fuel mass fraction of 87-89%; SMURFF increases this to 97% by reducing dry mass by 76%, putting them in line with real spacecraft fuel tanks"

This works very well for those who do not want to go full RO. It would be dead easy to implement a stock smurff-alike function that matched one's chosen stock scaling.

1 hour ago, Kerenatus said:

Or do we just use the very same parts in an easier or more challenging environment?

Parts stays the same, surface gravity stays the same, but planets and orbits are scaled. So, a rocket that can go to the moon and back in stock scale, is just about the right size to reach orbit in 2.5x scale.

I'm actually hoping that other than a visual overhaul and perhaps a single extra "bonus body" that they leave the home system as it is. The game already has a huge chunk of players that never get further than Minmus, so I'm hoping that the scale of the home system stays the same, and avoid that group getting even larger.

There is intersteller travel coming after all, which might bring other, larger, more complex systems.

9 hours ago, Kerenatus said:

I got an idea: they could add a stock RSS system as one of those "free-dlcs", and add some new systems as paid dlcs.

oh nononono we don't talk about DLC until KSP2 has at least 1000 mods written for it, are we all in agreement? Look how long it took just to find out what KSP was well enough to conceptualise a sequel to it.

• 2 months later...

We're all forgetting that we'll have the ability to build new launch sites on other planets with colonies.

The Kerbolar system should remain the same (and it's confirmed it will) people wanting a harder gravity well will have the ability of building a colony equipped with a VAB on a super-kerbin sized planet.