On-Orbit Hardware Only

Rand Simberg

Design your payload, mount it on launch clamps (if it's too big or would collapse under regular gravity), then roll it out and use the HyperEdit mod (preferred choice) or the Alt+F12 cheat menu to teleport it into orbit.

To avoid physics confusion it may be beneficial to stage the launch clamps off immediately before you confirm the orbit change, since the craft may be considered "landed" while in orbit if the clamps aren't detached first, and cause problems. If you're doing this it's a good idea to raise your payload up a bit so it doesn't hit the ground before you teleport it. I speak from experience testing space stations like this, and while I don't know if launch clamps can still cause this effect in newer versions, I do this routine out of an abundance of caution anyway. Launch payload -> Set up desired orbit in the cheat menu -> Stage clamps -> Immediately hit "set orbit" button before it falls.

I always put them into a low kerbin orbit to begin with as instantly transporting something far away can result in brief but destructive issues while the relative velocities are zeroed out after spawning.

Another useful tool for testing/showcasing is VesselMover, though this only spawns vessels on the ground to my knowledge, within render range of an existing craft, so it's useful for constructing planetary infrastructure without having to launch it all from kerbin first.

Edited by Loskene