Am I missing contracts?

I've started career mode a few times over the past few years, and I've never seen any of the altitude contracts show up. After the first two are completed, I get this huge list of "conduct a focused survey here" and "test this part" as well as exit the atmosphere and orbit. I've seen a few tutorials that show contracts achieved for reaching certain altitude levels but I don't know why they won't show up for me.

For some of the basic achievements you get a "world first" notice and payment. If so, that achievement is no longer offered as a contract. So I think you've been blowing past these things, and getting paid for them, without noticing. 

Welcome to the forums.

In the current version, there are no contracts for reaching particular altitudes. If I recall correctly, such contracts did exist many versions ago.

However, in the current versions there are still things called "World's First Achievements", which you get money and reputation for completing. In your messaging app, there is usually a message about all the World's First things that you recently accomplished -- and it tells you how much money and stuff you got for doing it.

11 hours ago, bewing said:

In the current version, there are no contracts for reaching particular altitudes. If I recall correctly, such contracts did exist many versions ago.

Indeed, there were.  The World's Firsts Society offered the altitude and other milestones as contracts prior to version 1.0.5.  The system changed to a passive rewards scheme for completing these milestones when contextual contracts and a few other features were added (such as the Leadership Initiative strategy for increasing the new passive milestone rewards).  If I recall the rationale correctly, then the problem was that because the original World's First contracts were only offered until the milestone was reached, and also because Mission Control at level one can only handle two contracts at once, it was entirely too easy to miss milestone rewards.  Putting aside the problem of permanently missed content, it rewarded a play style where you built a rocket that was only exactly capable enough to complete the contract, and no more--which is silly, especially since contextual contracts specifically depend on having satellites in orbit that can do more.

Anyway, @arb8743:

Welcome to the forum, as others have said.  You get the world's first rewards simply for reaching the milestones, so feel free to build a good, capable rocket.  I do not recall the altitudes that count for the milestones, but when you reach one, the messages tab at the upper right corner of the screen in flight mode (the one with the radio beacon icon) will blink with colours.  It will tell you what you've earned.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.