KSP "Collectables"

First, I apologies if I posted this in the wrong area.

With as large of a following as KSP has, I think most would appreciate it if some sort of "collectibles". Years back a limited number of Jeb plushies were offered. Sadly, after a short period, those plushies ran out of stock.

Since then, a few have tried to make collectibles out of ceramic, etc. Many are either poor quality or very pricy. With 3d printers and/or printing services becoming less expensive I don't think it would be too difficult to create something for us fans.

While a private individual could do this, getting permission and all that goes into it makes turns many off of even trying. It'd be far easier for Squad or Private Division to contract it out. They could ever creat collector editions of the game that include a statue or something like that.

I'm sure this is not a new idea in any way. With KSP 2 announced release sometime in 2020, perhaps adding an edition like suggested would make many of the faithful KSP fans happy.

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that when TTI bought the IP, they yanked all official merchandise. It's now evident that work on KSP2 started soon after TTI took over. It's been said in at least one of the various Star Theory dev interviews (I don't want to look for the reference right now) that merchandise will be coming back. So it's likely that the plan is to release new Kerbaltm merchandise modeled after the "new look" kerbals in KSP, along with whatever other items from KSP2 that they wish to bring to market.

23 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It's been said that merchandise will be coming back

Yeah right. I started a thread a year ago about getting the 3D printed Kerbals back, and I got nothing but empty promises from Squad & the community manager.

I don't see it happening any time soon.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:06 PM, Direwolf_TV said:

They could ever creat collector editions of the game that include a statue or something like that.

There was an effort to do a collector's edition with a Kerbal X rocket statue, figurines, and a Mun backdrop and it went nowhere.

https://www.geek.com/games/85-kerbal-space-program-gamers-edition-has-a-bunch-of-cool-collectibles-1624501/

Edited by GeneCash
Added URL

1 hour ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I counted mine up. I have a little over 520,000 little LEGO bricks. 

I probably need help. 

I have boxes from Billund stowed that I have never even opened... I think I still have the very first Lego Star Wars set that was released (the small X-Wing)  in an unopened box.  It was around that time.

Edited by XLjedi

Compared to when I joined this community- the merchandise offering is... well let's be clear- none existent.

Yes, we've heard that they are working to rectifying the issue, but no real progress has (visibly) been made, and though initially the explanation was that they were experiencing growing pains from their partnership and joint work with T2, it's been 3 years (nearing 4) since, and no solutions have been made. Though I have no numbers in front of me, I'm guessing, that despite the communal request for merch- they haven't made it a priority since the original merch didn't bring in much profit. Providing no real incentive to relaunch the merch yet. 

Yes, undoubtedly KSP2 has been the priority of Star Theory and T2- But that doesn't mean that non-game developer members of staff can't focus on it. Something that a community manager (like @St4rdust ) should be capable to do. Admittedly lawyers might be needed since we are working with the KSP IP, but with current online conferencing technology, having members of a team scattered all across the globe is no longer an actual limitation. 

Though they may be intending to relaunch the store roughly around the same time as KSP2 releases, but that could be a year away, and I can't imagine drafting up T&Cs for a single IP- with a few manufacturers/distributors would be that costly in time (or actual funds).

It also possible- seeing the recent expo which has been debuting KSP2 footage, that they already have stores ready and in the works. They had some substantial model replicas of Jeb, a rocket, flag and such- which takes planning, discussion and coordinated work with a manufacturer and production team to make them. Perhaps those teams are also hired to make regular consumer merch? Who knows.

Point being- this is a sad day when my dirty KSP mousepad, holey KSP shirt, Jeb Plush, and single 3D model of my Saturn Shuttle build is the remains of a bygone era from when Squad/T2's interest into their brand expanded beyond the screen and allowed us to show our Kerbal love in real life. 

Long live KSP Store. We miss you dearly. 

Edited by ZooNamedGames

On 9/9/2019 at 8:39 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

W H A T

Yeah... I think I possibly have every single SW Lego set that was released in 1999.  ...along with the instructions and box.  The 7140 X-Wing (the first SW set that they ever released) and a few others are completely unopened.  So I guess those are all officially antiques now.  Didn't seem like it was all that long ago.

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

Yeah... I think I possibly have every single SW Lego set that was released in 1999.  ...along with the instructions and box.  The 7140 X-Wing (the first SW set that they ever released) and a few others are completely unopened.  So I guess those are all officially antiques now.  Didn't seem like it was all that long ago.

If you have an unopened box, that is worth a ridiculous amount of money.  

39 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

If you have an unopened box, that is worth a ridiculous amount of money.  

I have a few...  some are complete train sets too.  ...and a dragon, there's big green dragon.

Edited by XLjedi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.