Patch for Mk1-3 pod to fit other 1.25-m parts

The bug-tracker item with the highest number of up-votes is "1.25-meter inconsistent part widths" and there is also an earlier report "mk1-3 bad compatibility". 
BHwo7NJ.jpgI could find only a little discussion I could find on this forum, here

The Mk1-3 command pod (like the Mk1-2 before it) the 1.25-meter parachutes, the launch-escape system, and the 1.25-meter docking port, have a smaller diameter at their 1.25-meter attachment node than all the other 1.25-meter parts.    

We can scale the Mk1-3 model to match its attachment nodes, and then it fits the other 1.25-meter parts.  This scaling also increases the size of its lower face, meant to fit 2.5-meter parts, but I find the fit there to look fine, because of the rounded bottom of the pod.  The pod now extends beyond the matching heat shield, but according to the thermal-debug numbers the heat-shield still catches 98% of the compression heating upon re-entry.  (Of course we would want Squad to adjust the taper of the pod so both top and bottom match standard diameters.)

I scaled the launch-escape system and parachutes as well; but left the docking port alone because its ring needs to match the other 1.25-meter docking port, and its small flange doesn't look too bad to me.

@PART[mk1-3pod] {
	@MODEL {
	 position = 0, 0.018, 0
	 scale = 1.07, 1.01, 1.07
	} }
@PART[LaunchEscapeSystem] {
	!mesh = delete
	MODEL {
	 model = Squad/Parts/Utility/launchEscapeSystem/LaunchEscapeSystem
	 position = 0, 0.02, 0
	 scale = 1.08,1.00,1.08
	} }
@PART[parachuteLarge] {
	!mesh = delete
	MODEL {
	 model = Squad/Parts/Utility/parachuteMk16-XL/model
	 scale = 1.06,1.00,1.06
	} }
@PART[parachuteDrogue] {
	!mesh = delete
	MODEL {
	 model = Squad/Parts/Utility/parachuteMk25/model
	 scale = 1.06,1.00,1.06
	} }
// If you want the heatsheild to protect 100% of the mk1-3 pod (for fast re-entry) :
@PART[HeatShield2] {
	@MODEL {
	 scale = 1.05, 1.00, 1.05
	} }
Edited by OHara
Added a patch for people who do need 100% coverage from the heat shield.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.