Wacky concepts and ideas for KSP 2 craft

GoldForest

Basically what the title says. What are your wacky ideas for KSP 2?

Here's a few of mine:

Project Daedalus times 9 - 9 Daedalus engines strapped to one ship. In the wiki for Daedalus I read that the drive would propel a craft to 0.12 C over 4 years. I wonder if I could get to 0.99 C with more. If not, I'll reach 0.12 C before 4 years. The only problem I see is braking. Hmmm. Lithobraking using the Daedalus drives as heat shields? I mean, it was supposed to be made to survive the heat of a fusion reaction.

Orion Drive jet plane - What? I'm only thinking Kerbal.

SSTO with Orion Drive - it may be a bad idea, but I'll have an interstellar SSTO.

Project Daedalus Kerbal Cannon - indestructible Kerbal cheat, plus Daedalus... nuff said.

Orion Drive Kerbal Cannon - ... >:) 

Solar orbit colony - They'll be fine. As long as Jeb remembered to pack the sun screen. *Bill whispers* Jeb forgot the sunscreen? Eh... I'm sure it will be fine.

Massive Plane that takes up both runways - Because I want a giant rocket plane launcher. 

Edited by GoldForest

Orion is an automatic SSTA (Single Stage To Anywhere) It's thrust is more than high enough to get off of any planet, and it has enough dV to go almost, or pretty much everywhere without stocking more nukes. So unless they nerf just how many nukes you can carry reasonably, it would not be hard at all to make a Orion SSTO :)

Edited by Spaceception
single not sing

7 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Orion is an automatic SSTA (Single Stage To Anywhere) It's thrust is more than high enough to get off of any planet, and it has enough dV to go almost, or pretty much everywhere without stocking more nukes. So unless they nerf just how many nukes you can carry reasonably, it would not be hard at all to make a Orion SSTO :)

Yeah, but technically the Orion Drive is NOT an in atmo engine.

17 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I wonder how they'll deal with that... as in, will the game let you launch the Orion Drive from the ground at all? Will it work and just completely destroy the space center or will the game not let you use it there?

Conceivably, with enough boosters, you could still use it on an SSTA while only firing it in space...

2 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

I wonder how they'll deal with that... as in, will the game let you launch the Orion Drive from the ground at all? Will it work and just completely destroy the space center or will the game not let you use it there?

Conceivably, with enough boosters, you could still use it on an SSTA while only firing it in space...

Sandbox will probably let you just use it. Career will probably either stop you or want you against it.

1 hour ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

The kerbal manufacturer might say: Warrenty voided if used at planetary launchsites.

Seriously speaking, we may technically be able to just use it, but at what cost i don't know lol.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Actually - Atmo helps improve the thrust of the Orion Drive.  It's a *great* launch engine - it's only a so-so vacuum engine.  Launching SSTO is the best use for an Orion Drive - long as you don't mind the exhaust plume...

We've seen an Orion launch in the gameplay footage. They use boosters to yeet it a few hundred meters above the launchpad before engaging the drive, and they said in the interview it will destroy your infrastructure if you ground launch it, so it's up to you.

Just now, Loskene said:

We've seen an Orion launch in the gameplay footage. They use boosters to yeet it a few hundred meters above the launchpad before engaging the drive, and they said in the interview it will destroy your infrastructure if you ground launch it, so it's up to you.

We saw them launch it on the Mun though. Not on Kerbin.

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

We saw them launch it on the Mun though. Not on Kerbin.

And? It'll still blow up your space center if you ground launch it and I don't know why they'd want to arbitrarily restrict that aspect of (extremely Kerbal) gameplay. I mean there were plans to ground launch Orion-powered city ships IRL (as mentioned they work even better in atmo) so I can't imagine Kerbals being more safety-conscious than humans.

Hmmm. 

New idea. Making mobile colonies by attaching rockets and parachutes to the colony either by attachment with the BAE or through the use of the claw.

Another idea, underwater colonies. If buoyancy is fixed in game, sinking a colony to the ocean depths should be fun. 

11 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Hmmm. 

New idea. Making mobile colonies by attaching rockets and parachutes to the colony either by attachment with the BAE or through the use of the claw.

Another idea, underwater colonies. If buoyancy is fixed in game, sinking a colony to the ocean depths should be fun. 

So would making floating colonies, if possible

EDIT: even better idea, though probably gonna have to resort to mods for this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Altitude_Venus_Operational_Concept?wprov=sfla1

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

13 minutes ago, Kaerbanogue said:

They said we can have orbital VABs...

Get one, put engines on and get it to outerspace, we'll have a massive interstellar motherbase :cool:

Hmmm, a space station that did figure 8s around two systems would be interesting.

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Basically what the title says. What are your wacky ideas for KSP 2?

Here's a few of mine:

Project Daedalus times 9 - 9 Daedalus engines strapped to one ship. In the wiki for Daedalus I read that the drive would propel a craft to 0.12 C over 4 years. I wonder if I could get to 0.99 C with more. If not, I'll reach 0.12 C before 4 years. The only problem I see is braking. Hmmm. Lithobraking using the Daedalus drives as heat shields? I mean, it was supposed to be made to survive the heat of a fusion reaction.

Orion Drive jet plane - What? I'm only thinking Kerbal.

SSTO with Orion Drive - it may be a bad idea, but I'll have an interstellar SSTO.

Project Daedalus Kerbal Cannon - indestructible Kerbal cheat, plus Daedalus... nuff said.

Orion Drive Kerbal Cannon - ... >:) 

Solar orbit colony - They'll be fine. As long as Jeb remembered to pack the sun screen. *Bill whispers* Jeb forgot the sunscreen? Eh... I'm sure it will be fine.

Massive Plane that takes up both runways - Because I want a giant rocket plane launcher. 

Daedalus times 9, I assume this is an 1+8 asparagus setup but it was probably an stupid question. 
An orion with wings, some has build this with the orion mod :)

As I understand if you destroy the bomb magazine for orion all the nukes explodes. 
I assume this also trigger the area destruction effect we will get from the orion pulses only larger. 

On the other hand Daedalus engine might work as an mass driver. 

You can always make an plane to airdrop an orion ship, or if totally Wakjobb an Daedalus :)

------

I would run to Moho and build an base at the north pole :) 
As I understand base building works a lot like building rockets or planes but you build ground structures on location kind of like build mode in the sims
Perhaps test on some crater edges on Mun first. 

20 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Daedalus times 9, I assume this is an 1+8 asparagus setup but it was probably an stupid question. 
An orion with wings, some has build this with the orion mod :)

As I understand if you destroy the bomb magazine for orion all the nukes explodes. 
I assume this also trigger the area destruction effect we will get from the orion pulses only larger. 

On the other hand Daedalus engine might work as an mass driver. 

You can always make an plane to airdrop an orion ship, or if totally Wakjobb an Daedalus :)

------

I would run to Moho and build an base at the north pole :) 
As I understand base building works a lot like building rockets or planes but you build ground structures on location kind of like build mode in the sims
Perhaps test on some crater edges on Mun first. 

Daedalus is a fusion engine, which means it is a fusion reactor that doesn't contain the explosion. It's sort of like a super nuclear engine.

1 hour ago, Kaerbanogue said:

They said we can have orbital VABs...

Get one, put engines on and get it to outerspace, we'll have a massive interstellar motherbase :cool:

Very interesting point, and yes we will get some interesting engines so moving heavy stuff would be trivial. 
Daedalus in particular as Orion might be an bit harsh for bases :) 

Now this raises the question how lightweight you can make them, I'm obviously talking about colony ships who is able to build copies of them self and everything else. 

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Daedalus is a fusion engine, which means it is a fusion reactor that doesn't contain the explosion. It's sort of like a super nuclear engine.

I know its an pulsed fusion engine, pulsed but much faster and lower pulses than orion. 
You have some actual engine projects using fusion engines they however require external power but get an good part of the ISP from the fusion reaction. 
Think we are likely to see them in KSP2 

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Actually.....it was.

During take-off, there were concerns of danger from fluidic shrapnel being reflected from the ground. One proposed solution was to use a flat plate of conventional explosives spread over the pusher plate, and detonate this to lift the ship from the ground before going nuclear. This would lift the ship far enough into the air that the first focused nuclear blast would not create debris capable of harming the ship.

The assorted Saturn booster proposals came later

4 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Using an Orion drive from the surface would probably tank your reputation into the sub-basement 

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

What the heck is wrong with people...

Yeah, like, why would they resist using such an immensely capable drive? It’s not like there aren’t huge desert areas that could be turned into self-lit, glass paved parking lots.... (puts on ultra-dark cheap sunglasses and SPF 2million sunblock) :cool:

9 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Using an Orion drive from the surface would probably tank your reputation into the sub-basement 

Yeah, like, why would they resist using such an immensely capable drive? It’s not like there aren’t huge desert areas that could be turned into self-lit, glass paved parking lots.... (puts on ultra-dark cheap sunglasses and SPF 2million sunblock) :cool:

Parking lots that would be glowing green after every launch. And they would have to find a new launch site any time they used it. Not to mention the air pollution radiation.