How to properly use interstage nodes?

Hello!

I'm currently trying to build a simple Space Station early in career mode that's basically comprised of a Hitchhiker with a LAB on top, plus the engines and fuel on the bottom.

As I'm playing in Hard Mode and I haven't tested this craft yet to make sure it's safe, the idea was to launch it unmaned and use a satellite for guidance, undocking the satellite after the space station is on the desired position over Kerbin and de-orbiting the satellite to avoid space clutter.

What I've done then was building a tiny craft comprised of a Probodobodyne + Ant Engine, some fuel and SAS; and placed it in one of the nodes from the fairing.

Between the fairing module itself (the white round part that looks like an older decoupler) and this node, though, is a docking port that I'll need for docking another heavy module for the space station later on, therefore I needed both the small guidance probodobodyne and the interstage node structure themselves to be cleared of the way so I can dock.

By quickly testing it on the ground, the satellite seems to allow the craft to be controlled like I desired even though it's only attached to the node, not the rest of the craft directly; but I simply cannot find a way to break the satellite free from the interstage node. Deploying the fairing only seems to break the fairing cover but it doesn't releases whatever is connected to the node.

A second problem is that there seems to be no way to break the interstage node support structure away so my docking port is clear. Am I'm missing something, or does the structure stays permanently attached to the fairing module?

Also, can you guys give me any examples of uses for the interstage nodes? I thought it could be useful here, but apparently not so.

Thanks!

They're a bit hokey and I generally build my own payload deployment rigs with an empty aeroshell, but I think you need to use a stack separator on them so nothing stays attached to the node after decoupling, then it might disappear. I don't know, it's black magic at my level of usage. You know you can attach the probe directly to the docking port and use "decouple node" in orbit to detach it though, or another stack separator if you want to be safe, since they decouple on both sides.

If noone else steps in before I get home from work, I'll do a quick tutorial for you.  But from what you're describing, you don't even need them.  Just attach the probe core to the docking port.  After you get the station where you want, you can right-click on the docking port and decouple it, which will eject the probe core and leave the docking port open for docking.

I way overdid this answer so bear with me.  (Click on the pictures to enlarge)

I've assembled this to try to match what you described.  As you can see, there's nothing to separate the probe after launch.

3bcscreenshot167.png

There are a few ways to fix this.  First would be to put a stack separator between the engine and the magically appearing plate.  Stack separators decouple on both sides.

cb3screenshot168.png655screenshot170.png

Decoupling in orbit.  Separates your craft, but leaves the separator as space trash!

45screenshot171.pngf3dscreenshot172.png

So let's try something different.  We'll do an up-side down decoupler, which only detaches on one side.  Note the direction of the arrows, I flipped it upside down from its default orientation.  I also stuck the engine upside down on top of the probe, so the engine isn't in the way of the decoupler.

1c4screenshot175.png806screenshot176.png

Decoupling in orbit.  This time the decoupler stays with the probe, so no space trash!  Just remember that since your engine is on the wrong side, you actually want to point prograde when de-orbiting.

a50screenshot177.png6a0screenshot178.png

And now for the option I mentioned above.  Sticking the thing directly on the docking port.  This is the least confusing of these three methods, as you don't even need the interstage nodes at all for this.  The engine is still backwards, mainly for aesthetic reasons since the ant doesn't have a shroud.

screenshot180.png

Right click on the docking port and decouple just like you would a decoupler or separator.  This does not disable the port's ability to dock, you can dock to it later.

screenshot181.pnga21screenshot183.png

But, personally, I wouldn't do any of these.  I would keep the probe attached to the stage that puts the thing into orbit in the first place.  That way you can ditch the upper stage and the probe together, and just have the station up in orbit without the unneeded tank and engine (Unless of course you're wanting these - I prefer something to be basically unpowered if I'm calling it a space station.).  This setup lets you have a docking port on either side as well.

screenshot184.pngcfescreenshot185.png

Just decouple in orbit like you would in the previous example.

76cscreenshot187.pngscreenshot188.png

Point retrograde and de-orbit!

screenshot189.png

Please let me know if this isn't at all what you meant and I completely missed the point.

Edited by Geonovast

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Please let me know if this isn't at all what you meant and I completely missed the point

Wow, you really tried to help him even with not much to go on, so thats a good job eitherway.

Hopefully we can get more info(like screenshots) cause i am way too confused on this one :) .

Edited by Boyster

Not much to add to @Geonovast's extensive and excellent explanation, well done.

10 hours ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

Also, can you guys give me any examples of uses for the interstage nodes? I thought it could be useful here, but apparently not so.

Just an example then. I did put sets of three equally spaced relay sats around every celestial body (see here https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Setting_up_a_CommNet_system ), the upper stage of my rocket looks this:

screenshot3-png-Windows-Photo-Viewer-201

Each relay sat consists of the antenna, a probe core, solar panels plus battery, a fuel tank, and a small maneuver engine, and has a small decoupler upside-down between the engine and the interstage node. After deploying all three sats, the carrier rocket which also has a probe core (below the fairing base), small batteries (just inside the fairing), and a reaction wheel, can easily be deorbited to avoid space junk..

On 8/23/2019 at 8:00 PM, Geonovast said:

Please let me know if this isn't at all what you meant and I completely missed the point.

That's exactly what I needed, thanks for going through all that work!

On 8/23/2019 at 8:00 PM, Geonovast said:

I prefer something to be basically unpowered if I'm calling it a space station

That was my initial idea, but I had no clue on how to bring the engine back and leave the space station up there - until I saw your screenshot. Will try building that later on!

As for the docking port, I wasn't sure if I could place a decoupler on top of it, but apparently it's possible and quite useful.

Thanks again!

15 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Each relay sat consists of the antenna, a probe core, solar panels plus battery, a fuel tank, and a small maneuver engine, and has a small decoupler upside-down between the engine and the interstage node.

Thanks, it looks like a pretty interesting design. As for the upside-down decoupler, it means this decoupler stays with the engine instead of the node? I also assume the decoupler force is really tiny or the antenna would hit the next node, right?

Edited by Arch3rAc3

17 minutes ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

As for the upside-down decoupler, it means this decoupler stays with the engine instead of the node?

Yes it would.  The exhaust will go through the decoupler properly as well.  Personally I wouldn't use that method as you would have a part of the ship that isn't visually attached.

18 minutes ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

I also assume the decoupler force is really tiny or the antenna would hit the next node, right?

No need.  You just decouple them top to bottom.  When nothing's attached to the interstage node plate anymore, it and the support structure disappear down to the next plate. (Notice my screenshots - it's gone after decoupling.)

You can also disable the truss structure, which makes that all go away.  I do that sometimes when the side trusses would "go through" the payload.  Then I just use struts to make it look right.

Here with the truss structure on.  Doesn't look great with those bars clipping through.

screenshot196.png

Turn if off, and the bars and plates go away - but the nodes still exist.

d34screenshot195.png

I made it still look attached with the struts.

16 hours ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

As for the upside-down decoupler, it means this decoupler stays with the engine instead of the node?

My bad, I confused it with another design I made, here the decoupler of course has the normal orientation, i.e. it stays with the fairing truss structure, beg your pardon.

Edited by VoidSquid

• 2 years later...

Necroing.

I still don't get it why those interstage nodes cannot decouple themselves?

An Apollo-like setup is nearly impossible, as trying to rotate and dock is impossible with either the truss structure in the way or a floating separator inbetween the docking ports.

And having a face-down decoupler sticking at the engine of the CSM is a no-go.

Why are there all these bad design decisions? To make the players brainz melt?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.