List of new propulsion systems

I've decided to make a list of propulsion systems that were either shown in trailers, gameplay footage or were talked about by the devs along with corresponding sources.

Those are the new propulsion systems we can expect to see in the game:

Feel to suggest new additions. I'll add them once we are confident of what they are. I'll try to update it daily
Edit: Looks like I didn't keep the promise to update it. Moderators can feel free to lock this thread, since we all pretty much know what to expect by now.

Edited by bartekkru99

Thanks to Spaceception for supplying this link:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/an-in-depth-conversation-with-the-creator-of-ksp2/

Two quotes stood out:

Krepstien is a reference to the Epstein drive from The Expanse, which is a torch-ship engine that is like the magic tech of The Expanse, that makes it possible to move from planet-to-planet very, very quickly. There are actually engines in the game that are similar to the Epstein drive because of their torch-ship qualities, because they have that magic combination of high thrust and a high specific impulse.

I’m actually not going to get into the exact mechanisms of those engines. We’ve shown a couple of them in materials that have already been released and nobody has guessed what they are yet. So that’s a fun Easter Egg for the community to hunt down.

We’ve had to overhaul the map view and map system to allow you to plan a continuous acceleration trajectory, and of course we’ve had to add a couple more levels of time zoom because many of these voyages take years and we don’t want you to have to literally sit at your computer for years. Although internally we’ve had a bet around whether someone in the community will attempt to run an interstellar mission in real-time! It would take years, but if you have an extra computer that you don’t want to use for anything for a while…

Well, you heard him! We've got an easteregg to crack!

What details about this magic drive can we pry from the released teasers?

15 minutes ago, bartekkru99 said:

I've decided to make a list of propulsion systems that were either shown in trailers, gameplay footage or were talked about by the devs along with corresponding sources.

Those are the new propulsion systems we can expect to see in the game:

Feel to suggest new additions (provided you have a source)

I think there is some kind of " Krepstien" Drive (a refrence to the epstien drives of The Expance) shown at https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/an-in-depth-conversation-with-the-creator-of-ksp2/

Plus, in the interview, they said this:

"But there are some others in there that nobody has identified yet!"

Edited by DunaManiac

2 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

I think there is some kind of "Kespair" Drive (a refrence to the Espair drives of The Expance) shown at https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/an-in-depth-conversation-with-the-creator-of-ksp2/

It's "Epstein", the dev says there are engine similar to it, but you have to keep in mind that he might be just referencing the Daedalus.

4 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

"But there are some others in there that nobody has identified yet!"

That's what inspired me to create this thread, actually.

While he didn't give us specifics, he did give us a hint as to the technologies we'll be developing for interstellar travel in KSP 2: "Go to the atomic rockets website and see if you can find the craziest engine on the list."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/21/kerbal-space-program-creative-director-talks-ksp-2-community-interstellar-colonies-and-rocket-engines-that-shoot-nuclear-bombs

While this is hardly a solid confirmation, the craziest engine I can find on the Atomic Rockets website would be the Nuclear Salt Water Rocket. 

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist2.php#nswr

Essentially, the Orion on steroids. Continuous nuclear detonation just outside the nozzle. 

Which fits with the other statements that there are some torchship like engines that haven't been found out yet.

Just thought I start a thread to try to analyze what engines we've seen in the released material so far.  Obviously the most talked about so far have been the Orion nuclear pulse, and the Daedalus inertial confinement fusion engines.  However, there's definitely others in the trailer and what's been seen so far.  For instance:

Interstellar-Travel.jpg?id=6156

In this picture, the central engine *may* be a Daedalus, but it's also slightly different than the one leaving the Jool station: There are ports inside the bell, and the rim is more separated from the bell.  It also appears to be much smaller, based on the scale of the rest of the ship.  As a guess, it's likely another inertial confinement engine, but a smaller one.  However, there's also the eight engines surrounding it.  They could be the same engine as this shot:

bFqfYfS.jpg

But they could also be a something completely different.  I don't have any ideas off the top of my head on it.  Anyone see something familiar?

There's also several of what are fairly likely to be magnetic confinement nozzles - best shot I can quickly find for one is here:

z0sz8aD.jpg

Not the Thuds on the lander - but on the transfer stage.  I've seen them in a couple of other shots as well, though I can't find any stills online quickly.  (There's a good shot in the gameplay video with one in the center of a cluster of what are probably NERVAs around it, so they likely use similar fuel.)  Some appear to have integrated radiator fins.

Speaking of radiator fins, the last landing shot in the trailer has a heavily-finned bell in shown (in two different sizes) that wouldn't fit any of these either.  I have no real clues there either.

So, ideas people?  I've skimmed Atomic Rockets a few times, but I haven't really researched to carefully different possible engine designs - I'm hoping there are people here more knowledgeable than me.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Sorry, I did look - but I think I spent more than 30 minutes writing my post.  ;)

No prob!  You weren't the only one, 3 of these threads were posted within 30 minutes of each other.   Each had a great OP, so I did feel a little bad merging them, but I think we have our "New Drive Mega Thread"  :D.

12 minutes ago, bartekkru99 said:

I doubt it, I feel like metallic hydrogen engine would look more similar in appearance to classic chemical rockets.

Perhaps liquid core nuclear then?

The exhaust doesn't look like a chemical combustion

someone mentioned the finned engine

here's a shot of it in action:

4PaX1m8.png

It too seems to not use combustion. Maybe nuclear?

last edit for this post

useful link:

Edited by nubeees
video

12 minutes ago, nubeees said:

Om7t5dZ.png

metallic hydrogen engine?

That's definitely a different engine than this:

16 minutes ago, nubeees said:

Lf20SMu.png

I think it looks more like the engine clustered around the mini-Daedalus than the one above.  From the mini-daedalus shot and the disintegration shot they appear to need quite a bit of cooling.  I'm leaning towards it being one of the Krepstien drives - the ship being designed to use the mini-daedalus for interstellar travel, and then Krepstien for interplanetary.

Maybe we could compare the engines from the trailers to parts we see in NFT, FFT and KSPIE? I don't think that there are many proper visualizations of many theoretical propulsion systems we are discussing, so devs might have used some modded parts as an inspiration

Ok guys. I do hate to remind you but look carefully in the first 20 or so seconds of the announcement trailer.

it clearly says NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY! 

Note you may need to just let it play because that disclaimer was DELIBERATELY PLACED to be completely obscured by the you tube time slider overlay.

seriously its a old advertising trick. Make the game look better than it actualy is then pretend you made it obvious that the trailer is non representative.

2 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Ok guys. I do hate to remind you but look carefully in the first 20 or so seconds of the announcement trailer.

it clearly says NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY! 

Note you may need to just let it play because that disclaimer was DELIBERATELY PLACED to be completely obscured by the you tube time slider overlay.

seriously its a old advertising trick. Make the game look better than it actualy is then pretend you made it obvious that the trailer is non representative.

That's kind of a given which everyone knows about. 

There's actual gameplay footage floating around, posted above, and the developers have explicitly stated in interview that in the final product all the vehicles shown in the cinematic will be buildable in-game without significant FPS impact