List of new propulsion systems

1 minute ago, [email protected] said:

Ok guys. I do hate to remind you but look carefully in the first 20 or so seconds of the announcement trailer.

it clearly says NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY! 

Note you may need to just let it play because that disclaimer was DELIBERATELY PLACED to be completely obscured by the you tube time slider overlay.

seriously its a old advertising trick. Make the game look better than it actualy is then pretend you made it obvious that the trailer is non representative.

Of course it's not actual gameplay, but I wouldn't expect "mobile game ad" level foolery. Pretty much all obvious features teased by the trailer have been officially confirmed.

12 minutes ago, nubeees said:

That's kind of a given which everyone knows about. 

There's actual gameplay footage floating around, posted above, and the developers have explicitly stated in interview that in the final product all the vehicles shown in the cinematic will be buildable in-game without significant FPS impact

Which interview was this and when in the interview? Not that I doubt that but I want to know.

If I can get that station with that epic Daedalus ship without significant FPS losses, I will be so stoked.

44 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Which interview was this and when in the interview? Not that I doubt that but I want to know.

If I can get that station with that epic Daedalus ship without significant FPS losses, I will be so stoked.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/an-in-depth-conversation-with-the-creator-of-ksp2/

I don't think a video of this interview exists sadly

Obviously there will also be some part count threshold beyond which you will start to see impacts to the frame rate, because we’re not going to give you a hard limit. It ultimately comes down to how fast your computer is and how far you’re willing to push it. But we want you to be able to build the things that you’ve seen in the trailer for example, without a noticeable frame rate hit.

6 minutes ago, Loskene said:

If they don't include this hidden history holy grail of rocketry unlocked from the first tech node I'm going to be very disappointed.

Oh! Like the gas-core one from Interstellar? They better include that! I love juggling vaporized uranium! >:) 

I'm confident that everything in the trailer can be reconstructed in game.

Otherwise, there is one engine in the trailer I've not seen much talk about. It's this super long thing with all these radiators.

YWEbZ88.png?1

There's some nozzle hiding there, but I don't think the stuff in front of it is a fuel tank-that's what the round things are. Instead, I think this is likely the core of this fusion plasma engine, which is why it has all those radiators. This design is reminiscent of the mirror cell fusion engine from Far Future Technologies.

jFvtWX5.png

Not quite as beefy of a reaction chamber above the nozzle, but this is the one type of engine I know of that can be so long (the longer it gets, the more powerful it becomes!) There is also a similar antimatter variant, but I get the feeling that antimatter won't play a massive role in KSP 2. Regardless, this type of engine would be one of the most high tech planet hoppers you'd get. When it's long enough (like in the trailer) the specific impulse becomes actually insane, but without reducing the fuel flow...which means tons of thrust. Main disadvantage is the size and weight; the version in the trailer dominates half the cruiser, and that's before you even consider room for fuel! This one would really only be practical once you have orbital VABs, which means it's quite late game, but it'd be great once you are at that point.

given that the book  Rocket ship Galileo used a surplus missel mail rocket, a thorium reactor, and Zinc for fuel..because they could use the cast Zinc cookware knives and forks and dinner plates  for emergency fuel...no I’m not kidding....there’s s lot of old sci fi stuff that is almost too Kerbal for ksp. 

Granted Ed they also has moon pedants......

1 hour ago, bartekkru99 said:

Maybe we could compare the engines from the trailers to parts we see in NFT, FFT and KSPIE? I don't think that there are many proper visualizations of many theoretical propulsion systems we are discussing, so devs might have used some modded parts as an inspiration

Here's some engines from a couple of realistic mods, mostly Nertea's suite:

https://imgur.com/a/9q74GFS

3 minutes ago, pschlik said:

Otherwise, there is one engine in the trailer I've not seen much talk about. It's this super long thing with all these radiators.

YWEbZ88.png?1

Not quite as beefy of a reaction chamber above the nozzle, but this is the one type of engine I know of that can be so long (the longer it gets, the more powerful it becomes!) There is also a similar antimatter variant, but I get the feeling that antimatter won't play a massive role in KSP 2. Regardless, this type of engine would be one of the most high tech planet hoppers you'd get. When it's long enough (like in the trailer) the specific impulse becomes actually insane, but without reducing the fuel flow...which means tons of thrust. Main disadvantage is the size and weight; the version in the trailer dominates half the cruiser, and that's before you even consider room for fuel! This one would really only be practical once you have orbital VABs, which means it's quite late game, but it'd be great once you are at that point.

Oh damn, it looks like those chamber modules are stackable too, you could conceivably make one of these as long as your part count will allow.

3 minutes ago, pschlik said:

*snip

There's some nozzle hiding there, but I don't think the stuff in front of it is a fuel tank-that's what the round things are. Instead, I think this is likely the core of this fusion plasma engine, which is why it has all those radiators. This design is reminiscent of the mirror cell fusion engine from Far Future Technologies.

*snip

I recognize that big engine bell thats cut off!

At the end of the gameplay footage I posted earlier, you get a closer look at an engine with identical details on the outside of the engine bell! I speculated it was a miniaturized inertial confinement fusion thruster!

I wouldn't be surprised if their krepstien drive they mentioned ends up being antimatter fueled. Kind of surprising actually that they mentioned metallic hydrogen, but never mentioned antimatter...

2 minutes ago, Loskene said:

Oh damn, it looks like those chamber modules are stackable too, you could conceivably make one of these as long as your part count will allow.

Oh I do like that idea. In Far Future, the length extension was done as a variant selection, which put some limits on it. But if this one was fully modular you could make some very, very long ones! Might get a few hundred km/s but that's just part of the fun :D

Just now, nubeees said:

Those are some beautiful engines. Any idea where the fusion engines and the gas core aerospike are from?

All of the atomic engines are from Kerbal Atomics, fusion engines are from Far Future Technologies (WIP, but pretty much finished).

I'd also like to remind anyone who's not sure why the epstein drive from the expanse would be interesting to put into KSP, that the general consensus on the real drive's performance (based on what canon observations could be obtained, some assumptions and some confusing maths) would've required a fusion engine so powerful it would've vaporised any ship that tried to use it as depicted. Oh my.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist2.php#epstein

Edited by Loskene

2 hours ago, nubeees said:

I recognize that big engine bell thats cut off!

At the end of the gameplay footage I posted earlier, you get a closer look at an engine with identical details on the outside of the engine bell! I speculated it was a miniaturized inertial confinement fusion thruster!

I wouldn't be surprised if their krepstien drive they mentioned ends up being antimatter fueled. Kind of surprising actually that they mentioned metallic hydrogen, but never mentioned antimatter...

If that's the same bell, then those chamber modules aren't likely part of the engine, or at least not stackable - the ring of ports in the side of the bell wouldn't make sense then.  They make sense for an inertial confinement fusion engine, where they would be ports for the confinement beams.  The modules could be the laser generation array, which is where much of the heat would be generated.

Or it could be a bell with similar structural reinforcement.  That's the type of technical detail that would likely get shared between designs after all: Any large physical engine bell operating in similar temperature ranges is going to have similar engineering constraints.  (Which actually leads to one reason not to think it's the mirror cell fusion drive: That would have a magnetic bell, not a physical bell.  Lighter weight, and it's the same tech as you're already using to build the mirror cells - and you don't have to worry about the exhaust melting your bell.)

There are a couple of other designs where a long drive segment comes into play.  An interesting thought though is if it *is* the same bell, and those aren't engine chambers - they're fuel.  (This would then be a resource-transfer ship, most likely - which is consistent with it launching that lander at the end.)  If so, with that bell and the ports, it could be a mini-mag orion drive: smaller nuclear bombs, and they're remotely detonated instead of internally fused.

I was looking around the internet and found this article:  https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/antimatter-ion-drives-nasas-plans-deep-space-propulsion

So apparently there's ideas for an anti-matter engine. This is NOT warp drive. This is an ENGINE not a warp reactor.

Anyway, the anti-matter explosion will propel the spacecraft, and seeing as a gram of anti-matter can cause an explosion the size of a nuclear bomb, an anti matter drive could be just like an Orion Drive, without the deadly radiation.

Also, if you increase the amount of anti-matter, you could reach higher speeds. Article said one gram will get you to Mars in 45 days. I wonder how many days it will take with a few grams.

7 hours ago, DStaal said:

If it is a Krepstien, it's likely magnetic-confinement fusion.

Yes, if its continues fusion and not pulsed with good yield it would have very high ISP and could have good TWR

However for gameplay reasons the engine is not very high trust, so its very good for an small and fast craft, for something large you want orion or Daedalus

Metalic hydrogen will be an killer on tiny crafts as its an monopropelant, isp is not that high but you don't need an heavy engine, your puff engine now has 1000 s and much higher trust. 

7 hours ago, Loskene said:

If they don't include this hidden history holy grail of rocketry unlocked from the first tech node I'm going to be very disappointed.

Glushko said "twenty years".

6 hours ago, Loskene said:

I'd also like to remind anyone who's not sure why the epstein drive from the expanse would be interesting to put into KSP, that the general consensus on the real drive's performance (based on what canon observations could be obtained, some assumptions and some confusing maths) would've required a fusion engine so powerful it would've vaporised any ship that tried to use it as depicted. Oh my.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist2.php#epstein

Of course it would. The Expanse has a distinct paucity of radiators.

What has me the most interested is the engine from the lander at the end of the trailer.
OgfXCCZ.png

It looks like it has some built in radiators as well as bizarre plumbing feeding into a nozzle.

Edited by bartekkru99

25 minutes ago, bartekkru99 said:

What has me the most interested is the engine from the lander at the end of the trailer.
OgfXCCZ.png

It looks like it has some built in radiators as well as bizarre plumbing feeding into a nozzle.

Probably liquid nitrogen or helium cooling system as I believe that is a magnetic plasma engine. 

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Probably liquid nitrogen or helium cooling system as I believe that is a magnetic plasma engine. 

I noticed in one scene this engine shows only a sort of smoke effect, then in the next scene as its landing it has an engine flame

This could be a SFX thing in the cinamatic trailer or it could be that this engine has two modes.

Edited by nubeees
accidentally posted this before i was done!

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Also, if you increase the amount of anti-matter

And that sends us back to the article where it says that creating even a gram of antimatter is basically impossible in such conditions. Particle accelerators are huge, and by the time you make that gram, you'll get to Mars by other means of transport.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

And that sends us back to the article where it says that creating even a gram of antimatter is basically impossible in such conditions. Particle accelerators are huge, and by the time you make that gram, you'll get to Mars by other means of transport.

Yeah, but... they can still add it into game. Maybe a quest to make 1000 grams of anti-matter could unlock anti-matter engines, tanks, etc. 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Yeah, but... they can still add it into game. Maybe a quest to make 1000 grams of anti-matter could unlock anti-matter engines, tanks, etc. 

Antimatter engines is a technology that is well theorized, but in practice actually impossible to make. All we have to create some antimatter in the CERN LHC (particule accelerator) but none as much as we would need to power an engine. 

Through as KSP 2 sets in the future it could be implemented. The only problem is that I read somewhere that such engine could go at more than 90% of the lightspeed, a lot more than the laser confinement drive which could go something like 12% of light speed. So won't it be overpowered? 

Edited by Kaerbanogue