List of new propulsion systems

8 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

Also, due to the supposed, alleged, hypothetical repulsion mechanism for which evidence is sparse at best, 

At best, the evidence is non existent. At worst the evidence disproves it, but not with 100% certainty.

There is no evidence in favor of that supposition.

7 hours ago, Lewie said:

Can we just except that near future engines are in ksp2, and that there’s no need to argue over the feasibility of metallic hydrogen. Ergh. 

No:

I think you want us to accept that near future engines are in KSP2... And I do.

The problem is that if a metallic hydrogen engine will never work, its not near future and not even distant future.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DylanPruden said:

So apparently i was vastly underestimating the size of the Daedalus Fusion Engine.

I was expecting thisKSP Interstellar Extended - Mods - Kerbal Space Program - CurseForgenot this

Project Daedalus – Interstellar Mission

Oh sweet Baby Jesus...I’m going to have fun with with this!!

On 5/20/2020 at 5:16 AM, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

I'm all in for the Orion drive, why wouldn't I be

It's one more way to destroy the space center!

It's also one more way to destroy the crew.

There's a lot of technical questions that would need to be solved to even make any Orion drive work.  One that likely not to be solved is how the repeated short sharp surges would damage the bodies of the crew and kill them, likely within a day due to the damage to blood vessels, kidneys, lungs, etc.

Near future propulsion systems are interesting, but I hope they stick to having stuff that has a bit more solid ground to stand on, like various plasma drives up to potential fusion drives.  And put more work into getting the basics of KSP 2 right.

32 minutes ago, Jacke said:

There's a lot of technical questions that would need to be solved to even make any Orion drive work.  One that likely not to be solved is how the repeated short sharp surges would damage the bodies of the crew and kill them, likely within a day due to the damage to blood vessels, kidneys, lungs, etc.

Near future propulsion systems are interesting, but I hope they stick to having stuff that has a bit more solid ground to stand on, like various plasma drives up to potential fusion drives.  And put more work into getting the basics of KSP 2 right.

The impulse felt by the payload would be dependent on the specs of the shock absorbers the pusher plate is connected to and the difference in mass between the pusher plate and the payload. So they could come pre-assembled automatically with no problems or come separate so we can make sure there are problems

8 hours ago, Jacke said:

They did build a large-scale test model, and ran it using conventional explosives.  I don't think there are any unknown technical issues they would have had scaling it up - some engineering issues, sure, but there's no real unknowns in the mix.   (And it's got the thrust and ISP that you can solve problems with fairly mass-intensive solutions.)

15 hours ago, Jacke said:

The technical questions you talk about all had solutions from the work done by project Orion.  It's not like they didn't realise having a nuke go off under you could cause some issues.  The unsolved problem is that it really annoys the neighbours, and the one outstanding unknown technical issue is whether spalling would kill the pusher plate or not.  The experienced G forces on top of the suspension system would fluctuate, but we're talking a very survivable (if not super comfortable) wave pattern that varies a bit from about half a G to a bit under 2 G (when the vehicle is fully loaded, maybe 4-ish at min mass).  The bigger loads are if you get a misfire, and during start-up and shut-down.

rqy6ZMB.png

On 5/17/2020 at 9:32 PM, DST Studios said:

I think there might be antimatter engines as well

:

You can't judge the contents of a tank based on its shape. The "antimatter" engine looks more like a magnetic nozzle or a metallic hydrogen engine. Antimatter just won't be feasible in the near future and probably won't end up in KSP 2. "Holy grail" is likely referring to Daedalus engines, or Buzzard ramjets that can scoop fuel from the interstellar medium and turn it into fuel, allowing an essentially infinite burn time.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh, 

kind of dislike a lot of these systems, especially if they just make it as simple as "LFO" engines, exotic fuels and the like should introduce new "headaches" that limit their use to more specific uses, like how Ion engines are low-thrust and heavy even if they're capable of very long and efficient burns.

On 5/31/2020 at 2:22 AM, DylanPruden said:

So apparently i was vastly underestimating the size of the Daedalus Fusion Engine.

I was expecting thisKSP Interstellar Extended - Mods - Kerbal Space Program - CurseForgenot this

I've heard that it will be as big as the VAB, forcing you to construct it in orbit!

On 5/30/2020 at 9:22 PM, DylanPruden said:

Just add moar booster then you could probably get into orbit, think matt lowne lazy approach

7 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Just add moar booster then you could probably get into orbit, think matt lowne lazy approach

From his giant space port video, I think it’d be more appropriate to call it the Matt Lowne masochist  method.

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

From his giant space port video, I think it’d be more appropriate to call it the Matt Lowne masochist  method.

I think he just doesn't like docking, I don't either

Edited by SpaceFace545

On 6/5/2020 at 10:49 AM, Bej Kerman said:

You can't judge the contents of a tank based on its shape. The "antimatter" engine looks more like a magnetic nozzle or a metallic hydrogen engine. Antimatter just won't be feasible in the near future and probably won't end up in KSP 2. "Holy grail" is likely referring to Daedalus engines, or Buzzard ramjets that can scoop fuel from the interstellar medium and turn it into fuel, allowing an essentially infinite burn time.

Antimatter seems a bit skeptical for KSP 2 I agree. But I don't think it's out of the court, I just don't think there is enough scientific evidence that antimatter engines will work. BUT, I am no interstellar engine geek...

15 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Antimatter seems a bit skeptical for KSP 2 I agree. But I don't think it's out of the court, I just don't think there is enough scientific evidence that antimatter engines will work. BUT, I am no interstellar engine geek...

Ah, yes. Antimatter will work just fine from a science standpoint. It's the engineering of such a system which is difficult, not a lack of evidence that AM will annihilate matter.

5 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

Ah, yes. Antimatter will work just fine from a science standpoint. It's the engineering of such a system which is difficult, not a lack of evidence that AM will annihilate matter.

I shoudl have been more specific. I was skeptical about the engineering of the system, not the AM colliding with M part.

Oh, goodie. The engineering should be fairly trivial, though, for people (Kerbals, rather) who can produce and store large quantities of AM. Don't really know whether I want it in the game regardless.

Edited by SOXBLOX

On 6/17/2020 at 6:42 AM, Probro said:

i bet my right arm they're gonna be a ksp 2 mod before the official release

Many engines for example are already covered in Near Future Technologies and Far Future Technologies by Nertea

• 1 month later...

A lengthy digression about metallic hydrogen (and whether it's realistic, and whether it matters whether it's realistic, etc.) has been split off into another thread devoted to that topic.  Please try to stay on topic, folks.  Thanks!