Some more KSP2 footage

26 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

It’s not the calculations per sé, but the implementation in the game. For instance, if you use double precision floats, you’d have around 15 decimals... but only when you’re close to zero. Squad had to learn about the implications of that and find a workaround. With starting from scratch you run the risk having to reinvent the wheel, and what’s worse, having to learn why you’d have to reinvent it.

This is especially the case for Unity. “Don’t use wheels, for reason x, y and z” You may start out using wheels and be pretty far committed to it before learning why it’s such a bad idea and by then your code ends up similar to V1 as it contains all kinds of patches and fixes to work around a problem (using “wheels” as an arbitrary example).

Again, I’m not saying that writing KSP2 from scratch is bad, it will probably benefit from it; just that it will come at the price of extensive debugging.

I would think those lessons would be relatively easy to transfer to a new program. Start Theory has access to Squad and to Squad's code, so they can ask people about those lessons. The harder part would be the lessons which weren't documented, but fixed in some hidden corner of the code. 

Wheels are an interesting topic, because I think the trailer all but states that Star Theory has solved the wheel problem. 

In a twitch stream from several people including Scott Manley having beers after this Pax thing, they mentioned cesium doped metallic hydrogen. I think there was a reference to doping with cesium to allow it to interact with magnetic fields... Im pretty sure this is BS and wouldn't work.

I found some articles on cesium doped carbon compounds to adsorb hydrogen, and function as a way to store molecular hydrogen in a much denser state... but that wouldn't work with metallic hydrogen... so I don't think the devs know what they're doing with this tech

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/473822143?t=40m40s

Edited by KerikBalm

Doping and alloying do affect phase changes and it did occur to me to wonder if anyone is doing any research about that in re metallic hydrogen. If it turns out that pure metallic hydrogen isn't metastable, could doping or alloying it with something stabilise it? If so, could computer models predict this?

Times like this I wish I hadn't left my chemistry studies in the undergraduate phase...

Well, as far as stability, in general if the energy of the phase transition is lower, its more likely to be stable (diamond vs graphite is rather low, so thats likely why diamond is stable), so my *guess* as a non-chemist, non-physicist is that a more stable allow would store less energy. You'd also be increasing the MW of the expelled products, and that should drop your Isp further. The result would be that high thrust NTR variants (pebble bed reactors) would probably outperform it. So it would just have an advantage in its lack of radiation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 9:04 PM, magnemoe said:

4:20 was weird an Kerbal in an one seat cocpit with shadows passing over him. 
to far to slow to be an helicopter rotor or similar, he is in atmosphere it looks like so it could not be an rotating habitat next to him

Take another, closer look at it.  It's Jeb doing aileron rolls in a jet, but what this showcases is that g-forces affect the Kerbal's posture now (he's not sitting completely upright. His helmet is tilted to the left a bit)

On 8/28/2019 at 7:22 PM, 5thHorseman said:

Actually Fiscal 2020 ends September 30th 2020.

Sorry to reply so late to this, but I found evidence that T2's Fiscal year is indeed March 31st, and I thought people needed to see this.

https://ir.take2games.com/news-releases/news-release-details/take-two-interactive-software-inc-reports-strong-results-11?field_nir_news_date_value

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 13, 2019-- Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.(NASDAQ:TTWO) today reported strong results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year 2019, ended March 31, 2019, and provided its initial outlook for its fiscal first quarter 2020, ending June 30, 2019, and fiscal year 2020, ending March 31, 2020.

So the rumor about T2 wanting KSP 2 out before fiscal year... may not be rumor after all. 

And if this is the case, I can see Early Access coming out to increase profits for the corporate overlords.

Edited by GoldForest

25 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Sorry to reply so late to this, but I found evidence that T2's Fiscal year is indeed March 31st

Yeah I've since found out that businesses can pretty much make up when their fiscal years are, just a lot of the companies I work with just ended theirs.

Fiscal years are artificial "years" that vary from different institutions (even some governmental ones) and, as said above, Take Two's is March 31st.

My assumption is that to give a reasonable margin for enough players to buy KSP2, the release might be half or one month before the deadline, and were there any early access, it would probably be earlier than February. But i'm just being optimistic:D