Crime in Space

XB-70A

Rather interesting case:  NASA astronaut Anne McClain, who participated in Expedition 58/59 from December 2018 to June 2019, is claimed of having illegally accessed her ex-wife's bank account during her time on the ISS.  The Agency says it has opened an investigation into what could be the first crime in space.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-49457912

Interesting is the fact that (according to the article), "a legal framework sets out that national law applies to any people and possessions in space. So if a Canadian national were to commit a crime in space, they would be subject to Canadian law, and a Russian citizen to Russian law", which explains the initiation of the investigation by the NASA and not by an international body.

5 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Interesting is the fact that (according to the article), "a legal framework sets out that national law applies to any people and possessions in space. So if a Canadian national were to commit a crime in space, they would be subject to Canadian law, and a Russian citizen to Russian law", which explains the initiation of the investigation by the NASA and not by an international body.

Huh. I though maritime law, or whatever international treaty signed for space, classifies space as internarional water, and thus the people are confined to the laws of the origin country of the craft.

Interesting.

3 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Huh. I though maritime law, or whatever international treaty signed for space, classifies space as internarional water, and thus the people are confined to the laws of the origin country of the craft.

Interesting.

I think the very extensive ISS Treaty supersedes that.

Theoretically Article 27 of Russia's 5663-I law "On Space Activities" can expose her to Russian criminal law as well.

30 minutes ago, DDE said:

ISS Treaty

I think on the ISS each individual is held by nationality ("each partner shall retain jurisdiction and control ... over personnel in or on the Space Station who are its nationals"), whereas the physical station is divided on the USOS-ROS line, albeit it does say "each partner shall retain jurisdiction and control over the elements it registers ...", so this might mean Kibo would be Japanese, Columbus would be European.

Then again if something truly horrible would happen on the ISS I guess it'd be like the Lockerbie disaster - there would be more agreements made on the fly.

Edited by YNM

The claim is that she accessed a shared bank account. She shares that bank account with her wife. They are in process of getting a divorce, but have not separated their finances yet, at least not concerning that bank account.

I am confused why would anybody consider this illegal.

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

My guess is that her wife is trying to get some extra monies and some publicity by raking up the stakes..

Quite a few karborundum-diggers out there... but that's juuust my personal opinion!

Spoiler

Crime in Space

Starship getting robbed on it's way to Mars by Somalian pirates. I can see the headlines now...

Edited by Selective Genius

3 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Depending on what paperwork has been filed, there may be Temporary Restraining Orders in place that limit what each party can do with what assets.

(Although, I don't see any TRO in this case.)

Edited by razark

3 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Its a bogus claim to poison her image to try to gain sympathy and earn advantages on the divorce. It works very well when the defendant… exercises an more orthodox sexuality.

1 hour ago, razark said:

Depending on what paperwork has been filed, there may be Temporary Restraining Orders in place that limit what each party can do with what assets.

(Although, I don't see any TRO in this case.)

But the point is that there was no restriction on usage of the account, at least not any formal restriction. I can't speak about any potential verbal agreement between McClain and Worden, but it appears there wasn't any legally binding restriction. 

McClain could have legally emptied the account, which she did not do. She only looked at numbers. After all, it's a shared account, it's her responsibility as an adult to keep track of her finances.

It's all fishy, but what I dislike the most is that children are mentioned. Worden claims that McClain wants to lay claim on Worden's child from a previous relationship. While that may be true and that McClain has less than honorable motives, this is not a matter that should be discussed in public.

2 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

But the point is that there was no restriction on usage of the account, at least not any formal restriction. I can't speak about any potential verbal agreement between McClain and Worden, but it appears there wasn't any legally binding restriction. 

Yeah, mas you missed the broader scenario.

The important is getting the adversary with a formal accusation of wrongdoing. Once the accusation is dismissed, the divorce is already judged - and the judge will rule using the facts he/she have in hands, i.e., one of the litigants has a formal accusation of wrongdoing.

4 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

It's all fishy, but what I dislike the most is that children are mentioned. Worden claims that McClain wants to lay claim on Worden's child from a previous relationship. While that may be true and that McClain has less than honorable motives, this is not a matter that should be discussed in public.

I was wrong. You didn't missed the broader scenario. :) 

One of the parts is building a public Circus in order to influence the Public Opinion to be used as a weapon on the trial. I suspect things are going to be a lot worse.

Poor kid.

9 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

But the point is that there was no restriction on usage of the account, at least not any formal restriction.

We don't know all the details.  We don't even know how accurate the reporting on the case is.  My idea was posted before I went and actually looked at what I could on the case.  However, there are other possibilities that could exist, for example: was person A using person B's login information to access the account?

Simply put, we don't know, we aren't likely to know, and the best we're ever going to get is idle internet armchair lawyering.

TBH, this is likely the actual purpose of the whole thing. Raise a lot of internet armchair lawyering, make some noise and capitalize on a "public scandal". If one of the women involved wasn't in space at the time, nobody would be talking about this, since the fact that it's two women divorcing isn't enough to raise an eyebrow anymore. I don't know what exactly there is to gain by doing that, but these cases tend to have a lot of emotion involved. 

5 hours ago, tater said:

In future maybe Fedor can arrest any criminals at ISS.

Yeah, and put them into space jail. :) Followed by a trail in a space court and being sent to space gulag one the moon (hint: don't build mass drivers if you do that...). :) 

On the case itself : I feel terrible for this. Honestly this seems like an unnecessary escalation. I wish they can solve this themselves on their own. This will end terribly for either side.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.