Completely Black Skybox

Change KSP2's Skybox to Pitch Black  

93 members have voted

1. 1. KSP2 invites us into a new envirment with overhauled everything but one thing, the ugly old poopy skybox, Instead it should push to be a completely pitch black box like real space what would highlight the planets and your spacecraft in a dramatic and realistic way.

• Old KSP1 Skybox (the original)
    • Completely Pitch black sky with almost invisible stars poking through
    • A choice between the two in settings

9 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

What it should look like https://imgur.com/Ml2O3zz

That, not what space looks like. You can't see the stars because the moon's light is blocking them. 

You should actually be able to see lots of stars.

Also, that big brown thing is really in the sky.

Go to the desert where there's no lights at all, you'll see the milky way.

Edited by GoldForest

I would love a nice exposure adaptation effect. So when the sunlit Mun or Kerbin or white spacecraft is on screen, there should be very few stars, but if it's very dark you should be able to see them really really clearly. I think it would be a very beautiful moment seeing blank space fade as the beauty of the universe reveals itself to you. Imagine approaching the Mun against a black background, and as you circle around the back your screen slowly fills with all the stars you previously could not see.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the game already has something to this effect? I can't tell if it does or if it's just my mods haha

Edited by Gydra54

Just now, GoldForest said:

That, not what space looks like. You can't see the stars because the moon's light is blocking them. 

You should actually be able to see lots of stars.

That what I meant by faint stars, I just chose the picture cause it looked the nicest out of all of them

6 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

that is what I mean, that doesn't look poopy, but the big brown (Galaxy?????) thing in the center of the sky needs to go

No, the galaxy does not need to go as you can see it in real life. 

2212403_Tafreshi_2800px.jpg

Edited by GoldForest

7 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

That what I meant by faint stars, I just chose the picture cause it looked the nicest out of all of them

When not looking at a planet or a sun or something, the stars are way brighter in space. And they don't blink. Figure's you'd be able to see the milky way better, I mean, you just need to get out of town once (I recommend it) to see it, and no, the atmosphere is not an amplifier.

As a corollary, so many "experts" are here in this sub forum. Any moment now someone's going to demand a scientifically accurate flat Kerbin, hail Sobek.

7 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

It is way to big and bright in KSP I would like to see it as space really is, a cold dark void with scattered stars no big splotches

Apace is not dark or void. There are bright splotches that you CAN see. This is what space looks like. Go to the desert and you'll see the same thing. This is a painting, but it is real. Look up desert night sky.

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Apace is not dark or void. There are bright splotches that you CAN see. This is what space looks like. Go to the desert and you'll see the same thing. This is a painting, but it is real. Look up desert night sky.

I think near and on moons when the light from the sun is removed it should be black not splotchy and as well in interstellar space

3 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I think near and on moons when the light from the sun is removed it should be black not splotchy and as well in interstellar space

It's not black though, it's only black when you are near or seeing a light source. So like near a city or on the sun side of the moon. 

Edited by GoldForest

19 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

That desert example is a very long exposure photo.

BUT, when you're out there, you can see crapload of stars, just not that bright and colorful.

Yeah, but it shows how many stars you can see, and that you can see the Milky Way. 

OP wants nothing on his sky box for the game, which is un realistic.

The celestial canopy is actually much brighter and more vivid once there's no atmosphere in the way absorbing light from above and reflecting light from below.

What you're asking for is pretty much the opposite of real life, but that doesn't make it an invalid ask.  What you want is the ability to dim or get rid of the normal stellar background and just see the game-relevant elements present in your active solar (Kerbolar) system.

In KSP 1 this would be a pretty trivial mod, but we don't know how the celestial background is rendered in KSP 2 now that other star systems are a thing and may be baked into the canopy.  Remains to be seen, I guess.

It should be similar to the auto function used in space engine, where the stars are not visible while looking at a bright object i.e. planet, but the sky-box brightens if you don't have a bright object on screen.

where's my option for the Calm Nebula Skybox? I WANT MY CALM NEBULA SKYBOX

And the skybox is much better now, stop dissing on the milky way, you're one of the people who lives in it.

Edited by Xurkitree

3 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Honestly this is such an insanely niche preference that I perfer the devs spend their time on something more relevant.

This is exactly the kind of things that mods are meant for.

on the other hand, how many minutes do you need to spend to make this. Finding out how bright you surroundings are is the hard part, and that can maybe gotten directly from the renderer. You are probably still right though.

Edited by nikokespprfan