Add rotational gee forces

7 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

When we rotate kerbals around for science, kerbals should be able to pass out from extreme gee forces from a rotational space station.

Imagine all the speghetti.

Also, make large ships more physically stable. No wobbling, please.

I'm kind of against the idea, as kerbals passing out means you lose control of the space station until they wake up. And if the g-forces are that high, the station might start ripping itself apart as well if G-forces were applied in that way. 

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

I'm kind of against the idea, as kerbals passing out means you lose control of the space station until they wake up. And if the g-forces are that high, the station might start ripping itself apart as well if G-forces were applied in that way. 

Well, I guess that would be the point right? To be careful with fast movements.

There is already a G-Force option available in KSP1, though I don't use it. I think it would make sense to have rotational g-force accounted for as well.

14 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Also, make large ships more physically stable. No wobbling, please.

As long as this means when logical. If you are putting a lot of mass around a small, weak seeming connection, you're going to want some reinforcement.

Just now, Gydra54 said:

Well, I guess that would be the point right? To be careful with fast movements.

There is already a G-Force option available in KSP1, though I don't use it. I think it would make sense to have rotational g-force accounted for as well.

True. I guess there's no harm in having it as an option .

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

True. I guess there's no harm in having it as an option .

I thought it already works. You can build a carousel with Breaking Ground parts and I'm pretty sure you can get kerbals to pass out from it. You can certainly spin it fast enough to tear itself apart.

Just now, Brikoleur said:

I thought it already works. You can build a carousel with Breaking Ground parts and I'm pretty sure you can get kerbals to pass out from it. You can certainly spin it fast enough to tear itself apart.

I don't think Kerbals can pass out in game, though I've never played with G-force limits on. 

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I don't think Kerbals can pass out in game, though I've never played with G-force limits on. 

They most certainly can, there's even a contract for it ("Bring X kerbals on a high-G adventure."). I just haven't tried it with a carousel.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Brikoleur said:

They most certainly can, there's even a contract for it ("Bring X kerbals on a high-G adventure."). I just haven't tried it with a carousel.

Mmm, do they close their eyes? Or do they just go ragdoll and stare at the ground as they contemplate their existence? 

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Mmm, do they close their eyes? Or do they just go ragdoll and stare at the ground as they contemplate their existence? 

The portrait grays out with static IIRC.

17 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

But can this happen with a really fast rotating capsule?

I'd expect so, it can certainly happen with a jet pulling gees. 

Tell you what, I'm going to try it and post screenshots.

Edit: sadly it doesn't seem to work for carousels, at least my five-star kerbals appeared perfectly comfortable when spun around pretty fast :(

Edited by Guest

G tolerance goes up with rank, edit a career save to get all tech (or get a new kerbal in a pre-existing save), and try again. and don't spin a capsule about its own axis, make sure the radius is significant. after all:

A = v2/r

18 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I'd expect so, it can certainly happen with a jet pulling gees. 

Tell you what, I'm going to try it and post screenshots.

Edit: sadly it doesn't seem to work for carousels, at least my five-star kerbals appeared perfectly comfortable when spun around pretty fast :(

Exactly. Can they add this to KSP 2? Rolling gees?

9 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

G tolerance goes up with rank, edit a career save to get all tech (or get a new kerbal in a pre-existing save), and try again. and don't spin a capsule about its own axis, make sure the radius is significant. after all:

A = v2/r

No luck, here's Bob and Bill with zero stars spinning around at 460 rpm. Changing the diameter makes no difference, they don't seem to experience any G-forces.

wTKeki0.png

Edited by Guest

That's a shame, I mean... clearly they do, like any other "part", such as why the 1st gen breaking ground props (and pre-breaking ground props as well) "bloom" outward when spun. The Kerbal G meter just doesn't register it :(

10 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

No luck, here's Bob and Bill with zero stars spinning around at 460 rpm. Changing the diameter makes no difference, they don't seem to experience any G-forces.

wTKeki0.png

1 minute ago, KerikBalm said:

That's a shame, I mean... clearly they do, like any other "part", such as why the 1st gen breaking ground props (and pre-breaking ground props as well) "bloom" outward when spun. The Kerbal G meter just doesn't register it :(

If you watch the KSP 2 Gameplay footage when it shows Jeb inside the plane, the plane is clearly spinning and his head is tilting out of the turn. Even the thumbnail shows his head tilting, so we do know G-force reactions are animated. 

7 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Probably because EVA'd Kerbals are craft, and Gee forces for passing out are only calculated for Kerbals inside craft. Just a guess, but seems reasonable.

9 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Probably because EVA'd Kerbals are craft, and Gee forces for passing out are only calculated for Kerbals inside craft. Just a guess, but seems reasonable.

I also tried with command pods instead of the chairs. No difference. Clearly the kerbal G-meter only registers acceleration for the entire craft.

4 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I also tried with command pods instead of the chairs. No difference. Clearly the kerbal G-meter only registers acceleration for the entire craft.

Interesting. I'd call that a bug. I can see them not bothering to test it on EVA'd Kerbals but it seems very obvious to make a spinny contraption to make tourists pass out. I mean, if that's what they paid for.

23 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Interesting. I'd call that a bug. I can see them not bothering to test it on EVA'd Kerbals but it seems very obvious to make a spinny contraption to make tourists pass out. I mean, if that's what they paid for.

Yeah, can they add spinning gees as a way to make kerbals pass out?

Or is it just animation with KSP2?

35 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Yeah, can they add spinning gees as a way to make kerbals pass out?

Or is it just animation with KSP2?

In the gameplay video, Jeb is reacting to the plane spinning, though it's weird that the light source doesn't match the spin... Anyway, his head tilts with the turn, so animation wise, it is there.