[WIN] KIVA - Saitek Flight Instrument Panel MFD Support

Rushyo

KIVA stands for Kerbal Intra-Vehicular Activity and provides Kerbal Space Program support for Saitek/Logitech's Pro Flight Instrument Panel, using the DirectOutput SDK and kRPC to allow it to be used as a Multi-Function Display (MFD).

Currently this early prototype allows you to view an attitude indicator ("navball"), view orbital telemetry, and control SAS from the FIP. It's part of a larger project I'm working on.

It has not been tested with Mono or other operating systems beyond Windows 10. If it largely works in another environment, please let me know and I will formally add support. Unless it's a Mac, then you're on your own.

Pictures:

Spoiler

Rn87O1d.jpg

zG1HaXh.jpg

0PLhNhv.jpg

Demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3AO75P7xR8

HOW TO:

kRPC must be running on port 50000 (the default).

The Saitek/Logitech FIP drivers must be installed.

.NET Framework 4.6.1 runtime must be installed (it is likely already installed; if it isn't, you can get it from the Microsoft web site)

Run KIVAapp.exe in the background whilst you fly in Kerbal. The FIP should automatically initialise and bring up an attitude indicator.

Press S1 in the attitude screen to bring up the menu. Use the page change buttons to bring up orbital telemetry. The dials are not presently used.

This prototype has many major limitations:

o Supports only a single FIP - it will use the first one it finds
o Can crash on state changes (mainly leaving the game)
o Requires kRPC server to be accessible on 127.0.0.1:50000 and :50001 (these are the defaults)
o Runs quite inefficiently

o Missing colour-blind support
o Missing lots of planned functionality

Download it here: [~ snip ~]

This builds upon the work of a number of others. Please read README-KIVA.txt for licensing information.

This tool is distributed without warranty and is not (yet) open source, as it was only written in an afternoon and I'm starting a new job tomorrow, so I don't have time to clean up the source. Once it's out of prototyping I will release it properly with an open license.

Licensing Stuff:

Spoiler

DirectInputCSharpWrapper.dll is Copyright Nik Burnt and is modified and redistributed under the Apache license. See LICENSE-DICSW.txt for details.

KRPC.Client.dll is Copyright 2015-2016 djungelorm (and others) and is redistributed under the GPLv3, LGPLv3, and MIT licenses. See LICENSE-KRPC.txt for details.

Google.Protobuf.dll is Copyright 2008 Google Inc and is redistributed under a custom open license. See LICENSE-PROTOBUF.txt for details.

Edited by Starhawk
Link removed by moderator

• 4 months later...

Nice work, this looks great! I’ve been looking for workable options for running a navball on a 2nd screen.  This is the first solution I’ve seen for the Logitech Flight Instrument Panel, which is now much more interesting.

I basically want to use KSP with the UI hidden (F2) in gameplay, with a quick navball and other important data visible from secondary screens.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

So... the mods have removed this and haven't told me why, just said "follow the rules" and I can't be bothered arguing for something that isn't really being used when I have other projects I can work on outside KSP with 10k+ players.

If the mods feel like actually telling me what rule I broke instead of being purposefully vague I might look at it. I have zero interest in playing "guess the rule".

Edited by Rushyo

5 hours ago, Rushyo said:

So... the mods have removed this and haven't told me why, just said "follow the rules" and I can't be bothered arguing for something that isn't really being used when I have other projects I can work on outside KSP with 10k+ players.

If the mods feel like actually telling me what rule I broke instead of being purposefully vague I might look at it. I have zero interest in playing "guess the rule".

Well, that wasn't what I expected to happen. At least a reason should be given.

It was I who reported your post for not including the source, fully expecting the moderation team to explain at least why, since what they call "backseat moderation" is officially discouraged on these forums.

I even suggested a wording they might use.

What I said was roughly "Don't care too much about 'cleaning up' your source code, we all know how pre-production code may look like."

Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. Still, I think the rule to open the source code is important for many reasons, and needs to be followed.

Edited by Corax
words

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey there, hoping there's some way to get access to this mod, or some information on how I can dig into remaking it on my own. kRPC doesn't scare me, but I've never tried interfacing with a device like this panel. How do I make it show what I want it to, for lack of a more accurate question?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.