Features that are mentioned for KSP2 (Added photo rendition of Current KSP2 UI)

Talavar

New animated tutorials, improved UI, and fully revamped assembly and flight instructions

Next-generation engines, parts, fuel, and "much more"

Interstellar travel, featuring a solar system with a ringed super earth with "relentless" gravity, and one with a binary pair called Rusk and Rask "locked in a dance of death", another with "Charr", a heat-blasted world of iron, and "many more to reward exploration"

Colonies, "dependent" on resource gathering. You can build "structures, space stations, habitations, and unique fuel types". Eventually (once it gets big enough I assume) you will be able to build rockets directly from these colonies.

Multiplayer (not clear whether it will be cross-platform). More details on this coming later

Modding capability. Modders have "unprecedented capability" that they did not have in KSP 1. More details on this are coming later

Axial Tilt - Some planets will now be spinning on a tilted axis.

"Lighter" physics calculations for processing speed: we put a lot of thought in to optimising the way that we’re calculating rigid body physics, working with ideas like basically a LOD system for those physics calculations.

overhauled the map view and map system to allow you to plan a continuous acceleration trajectory.

added a couple more levels of time zoom because many of these voyages take years.

overhaul of the terrain system with procedural textures so no two locations look the same.

new surface mesh scatter system, so there’s a lot more small scale detail on terrains as well.

"we’ve overhauled the way engine plates work so that mutli-nozzle engines like the Mammoth are no longer really necessary, because you can attach four vectors to a 3.75 metre tank and get a similar result.We kind of want people to be able to mix-and-match engines"

"in a more recent version of Unity, we get a lot of the benefits of using physically-based rendering, which includes reflection modes, plus new shaders and materials."

"We have a planet shine system now, which means that at night on the surface of Kerbin there’s Mun light and that’s surprisingly beautiful."

" ‘will there be more exotic DeltaV challenges?’ The answer to that is yes. We’re developing the new celestial bodies with a specific view to making sure that we’re continuing to challenge players as they get deeper into the game."

"low maintenance life support system" (according to German interview)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------(PAX West Info)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Explosions will be different depending on the amount of fuel involved.

Modding- Tools are being developed right now using Lua but the language isn't necessarily final. PQS+ has a ton of hooks for custom tools.

NO DRM on single player KSP. Can't yet comment on DRM for multi-player - still working on how account auth flows will work.

The entire simulation core has been rewritten. "Multithreading has been addressed but I won't get into it because people define it differently. Way fewer bottlenecks, much more optimized is the idea."

Kerbin's overall geography is the same. Other planets have had facelifts to give additional geographic history.

You can now create rockets in individual sections and piece them together. Yay QOL!

There is also blueprint style build mode that makes placing and aligning parts easier.

The VAB is overall much much larger.

The new Maneuever element on the HUD is a 3D representation of your ships orientation in regards to prograde, normal, etc. Useful.

Colonies: You can build anywhere you can land. You don't need flat ground. Colonies are built, not grown, and will need resources supplied in order to build Colony buildings and any rockets/vehicles you build at them.

Colony population does not grow over time. Colonists are brought in manually. Colonists also - ahem - multiply when you accomplish something and give them a reason to celebrate. Bottom line is you can't fast forward to grow population.

Much higher part counts are going to be available but they can't give numbers at this stage of development.

Kerbals experience force! You can see it in their portraits and cockpit view. They even black out. And scream and flail in terror. They're much more animated and expressive, and have emotes you can use as well.

Planet rings have big rocks. 

ground scatter will now have collusion. (no more flying through rocks and trees!) .. Better look for a landing spot with no rocks..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, something interesting brought up by Scott Manley... You cant have a binary system with the KSP Railed, patched conic system. Yet, one is in the game..... What's going on here?

Thanks to https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron for new info, and @NoMrBond >> GoldForest! For bringing it to my attention.

Here's a photoshop rendition of the Current KSP2 UI ............... Are those volumetric Plumes? :D (edit)- digital camera shots of actual UI in links on page 2.
70136136_10220059331622963_6937539988942

Edited by Talavar

30 minutes ago, Talavar said:

"Lighter" physics calculations for processing speed: we put a lot of thought in to optimising the way that we’re calculating rigid body physics, working with ideas like basically a LOD system for those physics calculations.

This sounds terrific. I wonder if by LOD they mean dynamic autowelding to bring down the physics part count, similar to they way LOD in graphics reduces the number of polygons in the model?

1 minute ago, Brikoleur said:

This sounds terrific. I wonder if by LOD they mean dynamic autowelding to bring down the physics part count, similar to they way LOD in graphics reduces the number of polygons in the model?

That was my exact thoughts.

5 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Yes, see two uses, first is stuff to ignore like an strut holding an small light as its to lightweight. Second is that parts like space station who are not accelerating nor rotating have no forces on them so no physic is involved until you ram it :) 
Still remember the asteroid intercept who managed to hit the asteroid at over 100 m/s. 

a recent interview confirmed that KSP2 is gonna have some sort of life support system

5 hours ago, Talavar said:

Lastly, something interesting brought up by Scott Manley... You cant have a binary system with the KSP Railed, patched conic system. Yet, one is in the game..... What's going on here?

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . KSP2 is gonna have n-body gravitation

6 minutes ago, chaos_forge said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . KSP2 is gonna have n-body gravitation

I would be very shocked if this was true. Also unhappy, unless they have a great UI and a way to guarantee an orbit is stable forever.

I expect that instead they will have some sort of on-rails system that allows for binary planets. I don't know what yet but something akin to Sigma Binaries would work. Hopefully they'll have one that allows for Lagrange points. Even just having L4 and L5 would be enough for me though it'd be cool if you could "nail" a craft at the other points for X period of time using Y units of fuel without any player intervention until time/fuel runs out.

We won't know until they tell us or the game is released.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I would be very shocked if this was true. Also unhappy, unless they have a great UI and a way to guarantee an orbit is stable forever.

I expect that instead they will have some sort of on-rails system that allows for binary planets. I don't know what yet but something akin to Sigma Binaries would work. Hopefully they'll have one that allows for Lagrange points. Even just having L4 and L5 would be enough for me though it'd be cool if you could "nail" a craft at the other points for X period of time using Y units of fuel without any player intervention until time/fuel runs out.

We won't know until they tell us or the game is released.

Orbits, especially low orbits, are pretty stable in n-body. I don't know why so many people make a huge deal out of it. And automated station-keeping can deal with any residual instability.

And doing weird hacks to try to make binaries work with patched conics is a non-starter. No matter how you do it, you'll always get a bunch of un-physical behavior.

The devs have already confirmed they're adding life support too, so I'm pretty sure they're not gonna shy away from making the game harder when they need to.

1 hour ago, chaos_forge said:

The devs have already confirmed they're adding life support too,

Huh? Where? I wouldn't be surprised, but haven't seen anything, and unlike the basic physical simulation it's something I prefer in a mod.

Oh bummer. I do hope they'll make it lightweight enough to be effectively ignorable (i.e. just some more dry mass). Or, alternatively, allow us to automate routine supply missions. I do not look forward to the grind otherwise.

5 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Oh bummer. I do hope they'll make it lightweight enough to be effectively ignorable (i.e. just some more dry mass). Or, alternatively, allow us to automate routine supply missions. I do not look forward to the grind otherwise.

It will probably be able to be turned off or configure in the menu. 

Falls du die mods zum Thema Lebenserhaltungssysteme ausprobiert hast; so etwas detailliertes wird es nicht geben, aber wie gesagt ich kann nicht allzu viel dazu sagen denn es gibt da ein paar geheimnisse.

Ugh, that feels like something that will just get in the way of what I'd prefer. And if other systems and/or mods use this, then the ability to turn it off might not really help all that much if I want life support, just different. But we'll see.

21 hours ago, chaos_forge said:

a recent interview confirmed that KSP2 is gonna have some sort of life support system

I was able to get a  onrailes binay set up in ksp1 but it tanks preformanc and i dont think any sain person wants to go anywhere near that barycentr twice.

It would probably be easyer in ksp1 to just put 2 planets on rails and have there orbits so close that they look like they are a binary pair. Or just say screw it have them be planet and moon. Honesty were are probably overthinking it at this point.

There's one more thing that I noticed. If you look at the Orion spaceships in the trailers, you'll see a lot of familiar parts... In blue and red, depending on the ship in question. The same parts appear to be shown in black and white elsewhere. Either they really went overboard with texture variants, or they have some sort of part recoloring system in place. By no means confirmed, but I think it's the latter, doing this sort of thing by hand is a lot of work.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:25 AM, chaos_forge said:

9 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I was able to get a  onrailes binay set up in ksp1 but it tanks preformanc and i dont think any sain person wants to go anywhere near that barycentr twice.

It would probably be easyer in ksp1 to just put 2 planets on rails and have there orbits so close that they look like they are a binary pair. Or just say screw it have them be planet and moon. Honesty were are probably overthinking it at this point.

I had actually thought about the "(invisible planet) barycenter" that you're suggesting, and realized that barycenter would be like a warp drive if you went past it.. lol... anyway for the 2 rails solution.. Doing that  would mean that they would only orbit each other once per orbit around the sun, as They are apparently "In a dance of death" orbiting each other. It's a cheap trick, but It would work.. however, the picture they show has them pretty close to each other. The speed at which they would orbit each other wouldn't be very convincing. lol .. not only that, their separate orbits would show up in the rails system on the map. This actually really excites me, as I want to see how they did it.  They did rewrite a large portion of the base code for KSP, according to the guy in one of the videos. So I'm just going to go out on the wing here, and say they probably added regular Binary capability to the existing conic rail system.

Edited by Talavar

22 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Sadly, no realistic exhaust plumes... yet.

The smoke looks better than what we currently have and I'm still around so don't worry :D

Edited by sarbian

7 hours ago, Talavar said:

They did rewrite a large portion of the base code for KSP, according to the guy in one of the videos. So I'm just going to go out on the wing here, and say they probably added regular Binary capability to the existing conic rail system.

The problem is the patched conics approximation, as a theoretical model, simply can't handle binary systems. This isn't a coding problem, it's a physics problem. There's no way to model it that wouldn't result in some highly unphysical behavior.

The problem is the patched conics approximation, as a theoretical model, simply can't handle binary systems. This isn't a coding problem, it's a physics problem. There's no way to model it that wouldn't result in some highly unphysical behavior.

Hmm..  I get what you're saying. There actually is no way to add it into the existing rail physics engine. You'd still need a barycenter, which would cause some warp speed wips if you got near it.. The only thing I can think of is to have them on rails, which themselves are on a rail with no bary- center. but then you could never have their gravity wells touching.  This basically makes it to where you MUST have some kind of N-body physics system.

Edited by Talavar

As suggested above by [email protected]

, maybe they simply made one a moon, and have them rotating and one orbiting so the same sides always face each other, and call it a "binary system" lol.. I'll be kind of disappointed if this is the case.

Edited by Talavar

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Check this post out. 

I'm definitely not a master of twitter sorting. lol.. THe only thing I found was the explosion differences (which I will add to the post, thanks!).. If I missed anything fill us in.

Everything was in the list NoMrBond gave us. 

• #kerbalspaceprogram2 #ksp2 INFO DUMP! Just got out of a meeting with 8 other content creators at Star Theory. Here are the notes I took. Disclaimer: Phrasing my own. Allow a margin of interpretation error just in case.
  • Modding: A major priority of development. Tools are being developed right now using Lua but the language isn't necessarily final. PQS+ has a ton of hooks for custom tools.
  • NO DRM on single player KSP. Can't comment on DRM for multi-player - still working on how account auth flows will work.
  • The entire simulation core has been rewritten. Multithreading has been addressed but I won't get into it because people define it differently. Way fewer bottlenecks, much more optimized is the idea.
  • There is no plan to introduce premium currencies, loot boxes, other "freemium" sort of stuff. The plan is to stick to KSP1's content release style.
  • Note on the trailer: Everything in that trailer is an in game asset. The engine shown at the beginning around the mun is metallic hydrogen and a bridge tech between the KSP1 and KSP2 technologies.
  • Kerbin's overall geography is the same. Other planets have had facelifts to give additional geographic history. The kerbin system has the same bodies. The game engine now allows for axial tilts.
  • Overall design philosophy behind terrain: "No two landing sites should feel the same." Also - moonlight shadows. Small but cool.
  • How many new systems: "Multiple." Sorry guys, I tried
  • You can now create rockets in individual sections and piece them together. Yay QOL! There is also blueprint style build mode that makes placing and aligning parts easier. The VAB is overall much much larger.
  • Binary. Planets. At least possible with modding, we didn't see any official systems other than kerbin, but the potential was demoed.
  • On ease of access: Relax, this is still Kerbal, it hasn't been dumbed down at all. Seriously, it is in great hands. The UI and new user experience is totally redone. Tutorials are fully guided and even animated, sort of in a Hitchhiker's Guide style. It looked cool.
  • The new Maneuever element on the HUD is a 3D representation of your ships orientation in regards to prograde, normal, etc. Useful.
  • Colonies: You can build anywhere you can land. You don't need flat ground. Colonies are built, not grown, and will need resources supplied in order to build Colony buildings and any rockets/vehicles you build at them.
  • Colony population does not grow over time. Colonists are brought in manually. Colonists also - ahem - multiply when you accomplish something and give them a reason to celebrate. Bottom line is you can't fast forward to grow population.
  • Colonies are meant to be springboards for deeper exploration. Orbital Colonies are great places to build interstellar rockets and move past the Kerbol system.
  • PC optimization comes first in development. Consoles need additional attention to make them feel native and not like a port, but that is important to them. Console players, you are a priority and you'll get love. They know the problems with KSP1 console.
  • Much higher part counts are going to be available but they can't give numbers at this stage of development.
  • Kerbals experience force! You can see it in their portraits and cockpit view. They even black out. And scream and flail in terror. They're much more animated and expressive, and have emotes you can use as well.
  • Planet rings have big rocks. Felt a bit like Elite, was pretty cool.
  • Bottom line-- Going in I was afraid that like so many sequels it would be "streamlined" by stripping away elements. It's absolutely not the case. This is Kerbal. Breathe easy. We were on the same page with all questions and concerns (and our group had a lot). They got this.
  • Also: SO MANY THANKS to @KerbalSpaceP for putting this together. Man, it was so cool. Absolutely a treat.
  • Ooh, addendum-- explosions will be different in space or in atmo, whether tanks are full or empty. To quote: "Every explosion should be a special snowflake." I KNOW RIGHT

Matt PAX West (Hi Seattle!)‏ @badnewsbaron 28m28 minutes ago

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I managed to find it before you posted. sorry for wasting your time GoldForest. Evertime I clicked the link, it was giving me the twitter users main page. (dunno why)  Anyway, I updated the list. Thank you for your link contribution!

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I also tagged you in the main post, for bringing attention to such a large contribution of info. :D

Edited by Talavar

On 8/27/2019 at 2:10 AM, Talavar said:

Kerbals experience force! You can see it in their portraits and cockpit view. They even black out. And scream and flail in terror. They're much more animated and expressive, and have emotes you can use as well.

I suspect Danny2462 is among the devs.