Doppler shifted skybox?

I feel like one simple thing that would improve the realism of interstellar travels while not being that taxing on the performance would be an addition of Doppler effect to the skybox. You could maybe have three different skybox textures: one for visible light, one for near-IR and one for near-UV that would get more or less transparent depending on the vehicle's velocity. Some additional red-blue hue gradient could also be applied to to the visible light texture.

I like this idea but it sounds rather difficult to implement. It also raises a good question: How fast will interstellar travel actually be? Since the correlation between Dv and speed changes a bit at relativistic velocities, and then a lot at near the speed of light, I don't think it'll be common to go beyond 0.05c.

8 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

I like this idea but it sounds rather difficult to implement. It also raises a good question: How fast will interstellar travel actually be? Since the correlation between Dv and speed changes a bit at relativistic velocities, and then a lot at near the speed of light, I don't think it'll be common to go beyond 0.05c.

Depends, will the game simulate SR? And will players ever get to SR speeds very often.

But if they are going to change dynamically how the skybox looks, please also make it adjust to the brightness of  the observer, as to how many stars are visible. I think all of it might be just changing how the skybox is rendered. (can't you just make all the colors a little bit more blue/red, or a little bit more dark/light)

Stars in front should get blueshifted and stars behind redshifted. But It's not just the colors that change. Stars get concentrated in front of the ship as you go fast. On top of that, luminosities also change. These effects don't become important until a significant fraction of the speed of light, which is not likely if only non-magic tech will be implemented. Still I would be happy if they implemented it, assuming it should become noticeable at certain speed.

More important for me would be the adjustment of brightness of stars depending on the brightness of the surrounding.

2 hours ago, bartekkru99 said:

Wouldn't Doppler effect be noticable even at something like ~10% of c?

Assuming this game is accurate, yes. Below 10% only colors change to a significant degree. I can notice image stretching to front even below 10%, but it is subtle.

How important this is is another matter. For me it is, so I hope they look into it. But they shouldn't spend too much time on it if it proves difficult in my opinion.