Realism Features Grand Poll

Psycho_zs

Choose whatever resonates with you more  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Rocket physics

• Rocket structure: Bend them in a pretzel!
    • Rocket structure: Somewhat noodly behavior is fine, but some constraints/breakages/dampening should be added on top.
    • Rocket structure: Rockets aren't made of rubber! Make them anything but spaghetti!
    • Engine response time: It's ON when I flip the switch to "ON".
    • Engine response time: Turbopumps aren't magic, give them some time to spool up.
    • Engine response time: Make it a difficulty option.
    • Engine throttle depth: Mainsail at 1% throttle is great for BBQ on the Mun!
    • Engine throttle depth: Minmus landing with a lifter engine? No, you'll have to choose one with more throttle depth!
    • Engine throttle depth: Make it a difficulty option.
    • Engine ignition limit: Flipping it on and off at will, my keyboard will likely break first.
    • Engine ignition limit: Some engines require a kebal with a very long match at launcpad.
    • Engine ignition limit: Make it a difficulty option.
    • Engine proportions: Old Poodle was cool, nozzle size doesn't matter.
    • Engine proportions: If it's a vacuum-optimized engine, you'll have to deal with unwieldy nozzle.
  2. 2. More stuff

• Exhaust plumes: I want them to be awesome, not realistic.
    • Exhaust plumes: I want them to be realistic, because that's awesome!
    • Exhaust plumes: Realism to the core, plume in vacuum will blow things away in wide angle.
    • Skybox: It's for epic shots with stars AND planets AND Kerbol in the same picture!
    • Skybox: Dynamic range begs to differ. Stars are dim, sunlit planets are bright. What is HDR for anyway?
    • Universe scale: It's a small dense universe.
    • Universe scale: I want a bigger one!
    • Universe scale: I want to choose scale as difficulty setting.
    • Life support: Snacks.
    • Life support: USI-like model (supplies, mulch, fertilizer)
    • Life support: Something more realistic, with water, CO2, oxygen, and all.
    • Sound: RUD in vacuum should be loud. And Orion without sound is boring.
    • Sound: Vacuum is silent. In space no one can hear Jeb eating snacks.
    • Sound: Optional vacuum silence and/or cockpit-originated/radio/muffled sound.
  3. 3. Even more flamey stuff

• Metallic Hydrogen: Yea.
    • Metallic Hydrogen: Nay.
    • Propellants concept: "Liquid fuel/Oxidizer" is simple and on point.
    • Propellants concept: Down with euphemisms, just call it what it most likely is - "Liquid Methane/Liquid Oxygen".
    • Propellants concept: I want more stuff - plain old Kerosene, Liquid Hydrogen, and dedicated engines for them.
    • Ullage: Um, wha..?
    • Ullage: You have to have a header tank or use ullage motors to settle fuel before ignition in zero G.
    • Ullage: Make it a difficulty option.
    • SRB thrust profile: It burns, then it stops, that's it.
    • SRB thrust profile: Just have the flattest thrust profile, like for a star-shaped fuel blocks.
    • SRB thrust profile: Multiple choices in VAB.
    • Cryogenic fuels: It's liquid and it's in a tank, right? I'm going to Moho.
    • Cryogenic fuels: Boiloff is a thing to deal with, ZBO tanks have weight and power penalties.
    • Cryogenic fuels: Make it a difficulty option.
    • Low thrust propulsion: I liked ion engines the way they were in KSP 1
    • Low thrust propulsion: We have thrust in timewarp now! Millinewtons rule!

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

If your rocket bends to the point you can't control it, the "realistic" way for the game to handle it is to destroy your rocket.

If you need more than a couple autostruts you did something wrong. Most likely you're trying to thrust too much or you have a ridiculously thin section of your rocket. Or both.

So I can't participate in this poll, because "I'd like it just the way it is because I know how to build rockets correctly" isn't on the poll :D

And as an aside, if I was ever served spaghetti with the consistency of the rockets people refer to as "spaghetti" here, I'd send it back because it was obviously undercooked to a ridiculous degree.

I'm not so sure. I haven't seen many real life rockets that have one stage literally pushing the engine bell of the next stage. Usually they have some tube structure on the outside and the engines dangle inside until needed.

tank --- fairing/decoupler --- tank     not     tank --- engine --- decoupler --- tank

|-- engine                                                 |--- fairing

I know I'm only an Architect but KSP really does many things our structure lecturer said was bad.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

If your rocket bends to the point you can't control it, the "realistic" way for the game to handle it is to destroy your rocket.

I think the second variant is for you, it specifically mentions breakages.