Some questions about Mun Rocks

A couple quick questions in regards to Mun rocks...

1) Do missions that denote an area mean that you can _only_ find Mun rocks that satisfy the requirement?  I would think so, but...

2) Is it possible to pick up Mun rocks in a biome if there is no mission for one for science, and lastly...

3) is it possible to pick up _multiple_ rocks in a biome for a mission or if there is not one for science credit?

You can pick up rocks without a contract.  It only gives science one time for bringing it back.   I don't recall landing anywhere on Mun that I didn't find Mun rocks, but I can't swear to that - once I found the first couple, they weren't something I spent time looking for.  I only noticed them when I ran over them.

[Deleting the post I started because @Cavscout74 already answered.]

2 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

I don't recall landing anywhere on Mun that I didn't find Mun rocks, but I can't swear to that

Same here. I didn't check explicitly, but I believe the Mun Stones theoretically can be found in all biomes. But finding them, even in biomes where they are abundant, can be pretty hard. (Mun Stones aren't that bad, the Green Sandstone from Minmus is famous for being hard to find.)

When you pick up a Mun Stone it transforms into a science experiment result, with all the usual rules applied to it. (I.e. you can pick up more than one with different Kerbals, but only have one on you or in a capsule at a time.)

P.S. I'll also suggest to the moderators to move this thread to BG Support.

11 hours ago, LanderDude said:

Thanks - so we are supposed to post anything BG related there - sorry, didn't know that. 

"Anything BG related"? Not really. But a question that is clearly abut BG content and only about BG content fits better in the BG specific subforums.

But anyway, no harm done. And it is better you ask the question in a non-ideal subforum than not asking it at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.