Help with elevation map

Shpaget

So, hanging on youtube I stumble upon a video in which there is a fairly detailed elevation map - exactly what I need for a project I work on and have been trying to get hold of with not-so-perfect success for a week now (the maps I have use lower vertical resolution).

The map in question is shown in this video, starting at 8:22.

https://youtu.be/tnR0s7Q_3MA?t=502

From what I can see it uses something called Leaflet and OpenStreetMap, but I was unable to figure out how to get that view on OpenStreetMap, or how to use Leaflet. Apparently Leaflet is some sort of plugin, but that's literally where I hit a roadblock. Where do I plug it in and how do I do that?

I would appreciate any help in getting this to work. Thanks!

Edited by Shpaget

I’m at work so I can’t quite figure out what that video is about. Dymaxion map projections?

I work with elevation maps a lot and have played around bringing real topography into KSP (see my Mahia Launch Complex, for example).

What is your goal?

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Never used it, but Leaflet is a JavaScript library for the map visualisation in a browser.

Its homepage (with plugins and tutorials) https://leafletjs.com/

A pdf (in Russian, but can be googled) with basic introduction for students.
https://vstu-cad-stuff.github.io/osm-manual/osm-manual.pdf

Yeah, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. It appears that it's intended as a tool for someone who wants to host a website with an integrated map, not as a service.

Anyway, I've been googling and binging and pulling what little hair I have left for a few more hours and have a result!

https://en-us.topographic-map.com

This is just what I've been looking for. I have no idea how I missed it yesterday. It looks exactly like what was used in the video, so it will do the job, I believe.

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

I’m at work so I can’t quite figure out what that video is about. Dymaxion map projections?

The video is just some flat Earth debunking. The part relevant for the topic is just the map used at the timestamp. It's nice and has fairly high vertical resolution and it caught my eye.

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

I work with elevation maps a lot and have played around bringing real topography into KSP (see my Mahia Launch Complex, for example).

What is your goal?

I was tasked with building a scale model of a real terrain, so I'm collecting various bits of data, including the maps of the terrain in question. I've got a good official map that has decent lateral resolution, but it uses some weird rainbow for vertical, color gradient on the map is too shallow for the terrain in question and it has no key anyway, so it's basically useless for this purpose. I did manage to extract data from it by color-swapping in photoshop, but there is still no key. While that is not a deal-breaker, since I can just pick various spots and check elevation, I'm also looking for alternative maps so I can correlate the two maps and make my job a bit easier.

The one in previous link has nice legend. There is a catch, of course. The vertical scale is dynamic, and changes depending on what is in frame, so I can't get the best resolution it contains, but it will be good enough for my purposes.

Thank you guys anyway.

38 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

I was tasked with building a scale model of a real terrain

A physical model? Or digital? 

Are you doing this from a youtube screenshot?

How detailed are you trying to get? You can grab free digital elevation maps for most of the earth's surface, however the resolution varies depending on the location. In North America (where I live and keep my stuff) you can often find free 3m resolution  elevation data, elsewhere in the world you may only be able to find the SRTM data (30m resolution). 

If you don't actually need (or want) super-high resolution, check out Terrain.Party , a site for making custom gamemaps for Cities:Skylines. Also the file sizes are small and it draws from the best quality data for a given area. Based on your current method, this will probably be much easier . These elevation maps are greyscale image files with elevations represented as shades of grey between 0-255, (black-white) with a known low point and high point. You may need to convert ft/m.

But if you want good accuracy and have good data, you will probably have to use a GIS. QGIS is a great opensource GIS program.

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

, I'm also looking for alternative maps so I can correlate the two maps and make my job a bit easier.

Use Google Earth for spot checking. 

Let me know if you have other questions.

A physical model, roughly 10x10 km in roughly 1:3800 (yeah, I know, not standard, but that's what the client specified).

Max difference in elevation is just 60 m (one hill in a corner of the layout) and most is under 40 m range, so 30 m resolution is not enough, but 3 is, and that's what I have at the moment. It is just ~1 mm in scale, so barely there at all, but I'd like to do the best job I can. It's all rather flat, but they have plans and seem to know what they want.

Today I gave them a sample (a small section) so we'll see how they like it.

No, the youtube is just where I serendipidously stumbled upon an additional source of maps. I'm using official government maps as primary source.

I'll check out the link you gave me. Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.