Riding probes

So, I've got a science station in orbit round the Mun, and a little probe-based lander going down and collecting Science. Rather than sending a capsule based lander up,  If I get an engineer to attach a ladder using KAS, can I ride Bob down to the surface as a passenger to do a soil sample and leave a flag behind?  

Thanks

A seat would work better than a lander.

I would agree with Geonovast in that I doubt Bob would be able to hold on the entire time. It's possible though, so you could always give it a go! What's the worst that could go wrong??

11 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

Why not just put him in a tiny, tiny cargo-hold that's made of folding down "deployed" flaps?

Could work, but once again; time warp will break it, he'll just phase through the "walls."

Also, that would prolly weigh more than one ladder.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

I think Scott Manley has a youtube vid where he did this, but he had to add a little cubic octagonal to the base of the ladder so the kerbal didn't fall off.

Edit: 

Edited by dire

1 hour ago, dire said:

I think Scott Manley has a youtube vid where he did this, but he had to add a little cubic octagonal to the base of the ladder so the kerbal didn't fall off.

I've done this too, many times. There are caveats:

• They can still slide off UP the ladder. How they slide on a ladder in 0g is defined by multiple factors, mostly notably which way will be worse for you. You can of course fix this by putting something else above them that will block them from sliding up.
  • You can't time warp at all. Well, you can 4x time warp but that will just make them slide off faster, and good luck getting home from Mun (no less Jool) at only 4x warp. Works to get back to orbit though from the surface but coasting to Ap and then rendezvous can take ANNOYINGLY long.
  • Pretty much anything is better than this, including a command chair and (if dV allows) just using the jet pack.
Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.