5G

Starstruck69

All I've heard is that it is smoke and mirrors plus a few protocol changes.  The "new frequencies" simply don't have the range to be used as normal cell tower frequencies, they are more like wifi ranges (mostly thanks to also being absorbed by water molecules).

That's exactly the idea: blanket the world with small, Wi-Fi style antennas. It's supposed to allow much greater speeds and lower latencies.

As far as I'm concerned? Expensive boondogle that won't be available anywhere but in the biggest city centers, and that if it doesn't happen to be raining. Anything with lower population density will likely depend on individual households buying and installing an antenna. Depending on the cost, coverage outside cities will be spotty to nonexistent, especially if it'll have range of several meters like I heard (if you installed it on our house, you would be out of range around the time you're out of the front yard).

If I get this right, 5G is a network of short-range ground stations, while Starlink and OneWeb are global satellite internet?

If so, 5G signal would be undistinguishable right at several kilometers, and no extraterrestrial civilization can detect the humanity transmissions.

Spoiler

It's a secret plan of the Global Government of hiding the Earth from the extraterrestrial invaders!!11one.

21 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

That's exactly the idea: blanket the world with small, Wi-Fi style antennas. It's supposed to allow much greater speeds and lower latencies.

As far as I'm concerned? Expensive boondogle that won't be available anywhere but in the biggest city centers, and that if it doesn't happen to be raining. Anything with lower population density will likely depend on individual households buying and installing an antenna. Depending on the cost, coverage outside cities will be spotty to nonexistent, especially if it'll have range of several meters like I heard (if you installed it on our house, you would be out of range around the time you're out of the front yard).

pretty much this, its way over hyped yes its nice in places where its an bandwidth shortage because of high use but that is it, lack of 4g coverage is more of an issue even in densely populated areas is more of an issue. Yes 5g might help here if the reason is shadow from buildings and so on but still and yes people will block it not only rain, pigeons might block it as if they need more reasons to be annoying. 
So yes people who claim its will give gigabit internet everywhere is kind of optimistic. 

Well, London (or anywhere in England) won't get much mileage out of it, that's for sure, what with it being blocked by rain. :) 

Nor will my city, considering the abundance of pidgeons. Moscow and St. Petersburg have snow through a good part of the year, though knowing New Russians they'll have it installed anyway, just to show off. :) 

At most, the biggest, densest population centers might have a use for it. Anything else will have to do with 4G, or maybe satellites. 

I mean, 25% more G sounds great to me!

4G was a pretty big step over 3G, at least in my experience and in my area. 5G sounds like a big waste of time but who knows in a couple years when it's the standard maybe it'll be nice and everybody will be laughing about how how 6G sounds stupid.

23 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Isn't 5G for the internet of things mostly?

Hide contents

To let you fridge report about pirate DVD in the washing machine player

I think it is supposed to be useful for it, but it's not being made only for it.

My washing machine does not play DVDs. In fact nothing in my house does.

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

My washing machine does not play DVDs. In fact nothing in my house does.

Actually, it even won't.
Who needs DVD when both fridge and washing machine are 24/7 connected to the wireless network to receive safety updates of firmware.

i for one like my hardware dumb. like we have a washing machine that would be so much better if it used the old skool clockwork sequencer rather than a microcontroller. the machine is supposedly energy efficient, but not if it drains a tank of hot water while you are looking for a lost sock. sometimes you start it, it stalls, and drains itself after an interval which really wastes a lot of water that we paid good money to heat. sometimes you want to soak an exceptionally nasty load, and this is kind of derp. now we want to put wifi radios in all the things so that they can be gaping security holes.

idk what the value is in things like addressable rgb light bulbs or toilet seats tha tweet every time you use them. just because you can get an iot module for < $5 now doesn't mean every gadget needs one. these things serve no practical use to me. id rather the light bulb be optimized for efficiency and longevity than provide mood lighting and id rather my toilet seat be made of materials that wont shatter under the weight of my immense behind rather than tell the world about my bowel movements, electronics not required.  

Edited by Nuke

13 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I mean, 25% more G sounds great to me!

4G was a pretty big step over 3G, at least in my experience and in my area. 5G sounds like a big waste of time but who knows in a couple years when it's the standard maybe it'll be nice and everybody will be laughing about how how 6G sounds stupid.

I have 4G, it's impossible not to at this point. But, in reality, I don't need it for my normal phone usage. My wife and I have a 2GB shared data plan, and we never go over it. We use our phones for, well, phones. Phone calls, texting, and occasional light web browsing, like I'm in the car and I need to look up an address or a phone number, or I'm bored waiting at the doctor's office and I want to read the forums. That all worked great at 3G speeds. It was all bearable at 1X speeds, to be honest. I hear these people complaining that their unlimited data plans get throttled at 100GB, and I'm all, "What the heck are you doing on your phone?"

11 hours ago, Nuke said:

i for one like my hardware dumb. like we have a washing machine that would be so much better if it used the old skool clockwork sequencer rather than a microcontroller. the machine is supposedly energy efficient, but not if it drains a tank of hot water while you are looking for a lost sock. sometimes you start it, it stalls, and drains itself after an interval which really wastes a lot of water that we paid good money to heat. sometimes you want to soak an exceptionally nasty load, and this is kind of derp. now we want to put wifi radios in all the things so that they can be gaping security holes.

1565802020-20190814.png

On 8/30/2019 at 3:58 PM, TheSaint said:

"What the heck are you doing on your phone?"

Those are the people that literally don't own computers, or use their phones as hot spots for their computers.  They also probably use YouTube to listen to music, which I find just flat out confusing.

5 hours ago, Geonovast said:

They also probably use YouTube to listen to music, which I find just flat out confusing.

If your HD space and your wallet are both limited, YT is perfect for music. Many artists actually put up their songs up on their YT channels, and since you stream them, there's no problem with HD space. Not to mention you can find stuff that's only been ever released on vinyl (and not the kind that most modern gramophones support, either), from long-dead artists who are rather unlikely to put their songs up on iTunes or something.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, Dragon01 said:

If your HD space and your wallet are both limited, YT is perfect for music. Many artists actually put up their songs up on their YT channels, and since you stream them, there's no problem with HD space. Not to mention you can find stuff that's only been ever released on vinyl (and not the kind that most modern gramophones support, either), from long-dead artists who are rather unlikely to put their songs up on iTunes or something.

Yes, finding on political songs like I like to listen to are hard to find anywhere else other than YouTube, or equivalent platforms.

I`ll wait for 6G. It`ll be grate great.

Jokes aside, i am thinking about to sport a wristwatch again and talk to people more often in realtime plus eyecontact.

We have recently recalculated that 80`s tech was the most cost efficient and reliable ever.

Then came "shareholder value" and "new economy".

:cool: what gives.

Edited by Mikki
format

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yeah, my Colecovision never crashed or froze. The cars from that era, however...

We have some heavy duty machines running from that era still running fine with no issues. Way better than new ones.
I rarely watch TV, so can`t tell much about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.