Can Haz Better Cockpits?

Nuke

id love it if there were better cockpits with full instrumentation, mfd displays for things like the map, external cameras and so on. maybe even a throw in a forced iva box in the difficulty settings. if you break your ship you have to use a camera or do a space walk to inspect the damage. 

also have a fist person eva mode (also a forced on difficulty setting).

id also like to be able to actually be able to walk/float through the ship internals for a much stronger iva experience. things like centrifuges and thrust gravity should be handled. 

I'm working on something like that for KSP1, but it's on and off. Well, the IVAs, that is, using MAS. I hope to transition to KSP2 if I end up buying it, but I'll need the props (currently using Nertea's), and of course either the MAS plugin, or for that functionality to be integrated into core game. Sadly, the latter is unlikely.

BTW, if you're in a mood for making some simple textures, PM me.

4 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

I'm working on something like that for KSP1, but it's on and off. Well, the IVAs, that is, using MAS. I hope to transition to KSP2 if I end up buying it, but I'll need the props (currently using Nertea's), and of course either the MAS plugin, or for that functionality to be integrated into core game. Sadly, the latter is unlikely.

BTW, if you're in a mood for making some simple textures, PM me.

il keep an eye out for that. unfortunately ive never enjoyed the tedium of making textures, and its compounded because my ancient copy of photoshop is very glitchy on windows 10 forcing me to use gimp, which im not as skilled with. its kind of the thing that stalled out my own mod. 

6 hours ago, Nuke said:

mfd displays for things like the map, external cameras and so on

As long as it fits the situation. I'd hate to see that in a Mercury/Vostok level capsule.  Orion?  Let's have it!

6 hours ago, Nuke said:

fist person eva mode

Yes. Yes, yes, and YES!  Also, a first-person EVA.
:wink:

2 hours ago, razark said:

As long as it fits the situation. I'd hate to see that in a Mercury/Vostok level capsule.  Orion?  Let's have it!

Yes. Yes, yes, and YES!  Also, a first-person EVA.
:wink:

id assume it would be done like existing props. if they are doing another making history type thing those gauges would be omitted in those specific craft.

I personally do not consider better IVA a primary concern, as the game is not a "sim" in the classic meaning of the word. It's more of an "immersion" thing with IVAs, sometimes you wanna looky-looky from the bowels and feel like you are actually inside. 

However if they do focus on that, for god's sake lets place the seats in such a height that the kerbal can actually look foward! In many cockpits the pilot just stares straight at the instruments and looking through the window does not allow looking foward. Most annoying, specially with planes/spaceplanes.

For planes (and rovers) I agree, but for spacecraft, that's how real ones look like. Windows are used on a few specific occasions, and most of the time, the crew spends time looking at the gauges. The only real exceptions were Gemini and Space Shuttle, where the former had a very nice forward-view windows for docking with Agena, and the latter needed good visibility for landing.

Adjustable seat positions would help a lot, BTW. In particular, my cockpit mod will, for stock IVAs, come with a recommendation to use female pilots. Male ones have their eyes too high to get a good view of the instruments (seriously!). :) It's actually because stock IVAs weren't really designed to use instruments at all, and the overwhelming majority were made at the time when there were no female Kerbals, so the females end up with eyes situated much better for IVA-only flight. Adjustable seats are currently possible, but a bit of a chore to implement.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Through The Eyes gives you first person eva

RPM has a number of built-in replacement IVAs.

DE_IVAExtension has more.

Probe Control Room gives you an IVA for unkerballed missions.

There's a number of mods that those IVAs can display in their MFDs, like Vessel Viewer.

And Malah's QuickIVA can be used to force IVA.