PAX West Pre-show info dump (Thanks to NoMrBond for bringing this to our attention, all credit goes to them)

GoldForest

1 minute ago, DrRansom said:

For anyone there, was there any discussion about Aerodynamics? As in, are they going to keep the current structure or try and move towards a FAR-like volume based approach. 

I dont believe that was discussed at all, but ill try to ask them at PAX tomorrow

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I dont believe that was discussed at all, but ill try to ask them at PAX tomorrow

Thanks!

It sounds like they expect players to do several base-building missions - which puts a premium on pin-point landing accuracy. Is there going to be a revamped waypoint system and in-atmosphere trajectory prediction to facilitate that? (I'd imaging that mods will get on those tasks right away, though)

2 minutes ago, DrRansom said:

Thanks!

It sounds like they expect players to do several base-building missions - which puts a premium on pin-point landing accuracy. Is there going to be a revamped waypoint system and in-atmosphere trajectory prediction to facilitate that? (I'd imaging that mods will get on those tasks right away, though)

Is that really needed?  I mean, people can do pinpoint landings now, bot with and without mods.

basebuilding is a pa rt of, but not necessary.  Believe it or now more than 75% of players never go beyond the Mun

No new bodies in Kerbol huh?  I guess OPM is still a mod eventually for KSP2.

Not complaining tho, just hoped for a complete analog of our solar system... without going interstellar to get the outer planets (like that Saturn analogue).

Not a deal-breaker.

By the way, folks.  We get to have another crack at Star Theory tomorrow-- I myself have a half-hour slot in the early afternoon to interview them.  So I'd like to solicit questions folks would like me to ask.  If you've got questions you'd like me to ask them, I started a thread over here:

Info about ksp 2 with timestamps from this video https://youtu.be/vu22bFtZgKg 

Spoiler

9:00 ksp 2 runs on latest version of unity

9:08 PQS is replaced by PQS+

9:30 binary planets are not likely to be in game

10:45 there's a separate timewarp mode for continuous acceleration travel

11:04 no caves (oof)

11:24 underwater exploration

11:36 kerbin north pole isn't flat anymore(subject to change)

12:51 SRB thrust vectoring was requested

13:15 4 launchpads for multiplayer

15:35 advanced planetshine

15:53 rings consist of rocks

16:52 scatter density is big enough for grass to look like actual grass

18:25 wheel tracks and foorprints are neither confirmed or denied

19:08 metallic hydrogen is the only fuel confirmed

19:29 parts got art passes

21:09 kerbal animation system is very advanced (and a recreation of animations seen) , 3 levels of kerbal panic

23:17 no info about life support, no info whether artificial gravity rings have any use

23:42 no comment about radiation effects from orion or daedalus engines

23:55 no plans for weather

24:00 inflatable habitats and colony parts

24:56 ingame scripting/dev tool? , ingame codebase is highly documented , modding is a priority

25:57 kerbal system is same scale , all planets got a makeover

26:45 you can't port old saves

27:13 ui is still very WIP

27:49 no info about jet engines

28:40 lua script might not be in the final game, but it was used to easily create a star ,then a planet , then give it inclination, you can also destroy specific part , give it artificial force

29:15 action replay was requested

29:56 ksp 2 has been in works for more than a year

30:25 currently no robotic parts

31:05 no info about pre release programs

31:12 devs liked the idea of giving modders a jump start by giving them ksp 2 before the release

32:17 singleplayer is drm free

33:38 textures look very good

33:43 physx in ksp 2 and an optimised version of it for physics

36:05 other star systems will be very wacky, "ultra big planets"

36:40 planes likely early in dev/not in game right now , runway for colonies

38:05 devs gave two answers about clouds: "clouds are not currently planned" and "the game is in development ask us later"

38:24 binary planets are likely to not be ingame because of patched conics problem , but devs said they have a solution , scott doubts it

41:03 confirmed resources so far are metallic hydrogen , cesium, metallic hydrogen with cesium, water

44:08 they didn't forget dres , and they changed something about it so that it will be interesting

46:04 scott is doing tutorials for ksp 2 and lots of gameplay videos

46:28 no info career mode

47:25 vomiting kerbals confirmed

48:03 fuel tanks leaks can catch on fire , part damage

48:37 atmosphere explosions look different from ones in vacuum

48:50 VFX overhaul

49:52 no plans for part crumbling/deformation

50:02 colonies are physically simulated

50:25 orbital and surface colonies are different

51:08 no cities or structures on kerbin were shown, KSC looks good, scatter looks awesome , scatter collisions

51:40 destructible scatters are considered by devs

51:54 iva they seen is bunch of shuttle displays

54:03 easter eggs might be there

54:32 VAB is bigger and prettier

54:48 you can now put parts down that aren't attched to the ship , you can build the whole rocket in separate parts and stich it together, orthographic projections of rockets that look like blueprints

55:43 science gameplay is more deep

56:19 KSC biomes might return

57:08 achievment talk

57:27 no planes in trailer , procedural wings MIGHT be ingame

57:47 coloniy pieces could be connected

58:13 crawler for rockets , likely not controllable by player 59:06 no info about boil off 59:14 no procedrual solar systems

59:34 devs liked the idea of being able to lock solar panel/radiator rotation

1:00:08 vab is twice the size 1:00:24 no info about hweels

1:00:57 new landing legs , no idea if landing gear is physics

1:02:00 there will new and old parts

1:03:56 all parts seen in trailers are game assets

1:07:14 ksp 2 is mainly about designing and flying rockets , the colony system won't be super complex, devs dont want simcity in space

Edited by linecrafter

It does sound good.

Somethings I'd like to see on top of these would be a FAR-like volume-based aero system and OPM-like outer planets.  Both of those can be modded in, but would be better if stock.

4 hours ago, linecrafter said:

Info about ksp 2 with timestamps from this video

Hide contents

21:09 kerbal animation system is very advanced (and a recreation of animations seen) , 3 levels of kerbal panic

23:17 no info about life support, no info whether artificial gravity rings have any use

24:56 ingame scripting/dev tool? , ingame codebase is highly documented , modding is a priority

28:40 lua script might not be in the final game, but it was used to easily create a star ,then a planet , then give it inclination, you can also destroy specific part , give it artificial force

31:12 devs liked the idea of giving modders a jump start by giving them ksp 2 before the release

38:05 devs gave two answers about clouds: "clouds are not currently planned" and "the game is in development ask us later"

38:24 binary planets are likely to not be ingame because of patched conics problem , but devs said they have a solution , scott doubts it

41:03 confirmed resources so far are metallic hydrogen , cesium, metallic hydrogen with cesium, water

44:08 they didn't forget dres , and they changed something about it so that it will be interesting

51:08 no cities or structures on kerbin were shown, KSC looks good, scatter looks awesome , scatter collisions

54:48 you can now put parts down that aren't attched to the ship , you can build the whole rocket in separate parts and stich it together, orthographic projections of rockets that look like blueprints

58:13 crawler for rockets , likely not controllable by player 59:06 no info about boil off 59:14 no procedrual solar systems

1:07:14 ksp 2 is mainly about designing and flying rockets , the colony system won't be super complex, devs dont want simcity in space

4 hours ago, EchoLima said:

wouldn't be KSP if it had clouds

But we see clouds in the screenshot? At least from orbit. 

Edit: check my other post out. You can just make our clouds over the ocean.

Edited by GoldForest

2 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

The clouds could just be a thing in pre-alpha that was recently cut due to performance or something. It's possible, I guess.

While we didn't see any clouds on the ground, every time we asked about clouds, the answer was essentially no comment.

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

While we didn't see any clouds on the ground, every time we asked about clouds, the answer was essentially no comment.

Oh, so that sounds more like clouds are still in the game then. Gotcha. (minor sarcasm)

Bit odd to keep them secret when you can see them (from space) in the already publicly released pre-alpha footage.

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

Just now, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Oh, so that sounds more like clouds are still in the game then. Gotcha. (minor sarcasm)

Bit odd to keep them secret when you can see them (from space) in the already publicly released pre-alpha footage.

I can think of any number of reasons why they won't want to talk about them.  Among other things, if they say there are clouds, then many other questions will be asked which they may not want to, or can't answer at this time.

We did get confirmation that there would NOT be weather, so no rain, wind, storms, etc

Ask them if they are ever going to start posting here, listening to community concerns and talking with experienced modders (other that ones employed by Squad). Because quite frankly, Squad didn't make KSP1 what it is now. The community did. And I mean that literally, having been a part of the whole thing since 0.13, I had a chance of seeing it all happen, and bring to attention some serious issues (most notably, I was the one who pointed out to Squad that engine thrust should vary with altitude. Before, they varied fuel flow). KSP is not great because of Squad. KSP is great because of us

3 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Ask them if they are ever going to start posting here, listening to community concerns and talking with experienced modders (other that ones employed by Squad). Because quite frankly, Squad didn't make KSP1 what it is now. The community did. And I mean that literally, having been a part of the whole thing since 0.13, I had a chance of seeing it all happen, and bring to attention some serious issues (most notably, I was the one who pointed out to Squad that engine thrust should vary with altitude. Before, they varied fuel flow). KSP is not great because of Squad. KSP is great because of us

Post this in @Snark thread.

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@linuxgurugamer, what do you think, would it be possible to squeeze some more information from them, about, you know, Linux?

I know they answered something among the lines "we're always looking for a way blah-blah", but that's seems so much elusive.  

19 minutes ago, whale_2 said:

@linuxgurugamer, what do you think, would it be possible to squeeze some more information from them, about, you know, Linux?

I know they answered something among the lines "we're always looking for a way blah-blah", but that's seems so much elusive.  

One of the things I'll be asking them tomorrow.  But my guess is that Linux is a very minor part, they are concentrating on the main release.

However, since it's Unity, and Unity runs just about anywhere, it may be a pleasant surprise come release day

6 hours ago, linecrafter said:

Info about ksp 2 with timestamps from this video

Reveal hidden contents

Fantastic recap. I think that because you have the video link and the amazing summary you did in a spoiler, people are missing this. I suggest you repost it with just a link and the summary outside of the spoiler.

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Believe it or now more than 75% of players never go beyond the Mun

I think this is in part because the Mun with all its craters is BY FAR the most interesting body in the entire Kerbal system, including Kerbin itself.

10 hours ago, DrRansom said:

Thanks!

Multiple bases will be needed to sustain a colony imo. I heard something about the resource system is getting revamped, so if you land in an area with only 3 out of 5 resources needed, you will need to go setup mining outposts where those remaining 2 resources are, and then setup trade routes between the two bases. 

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Believe it or now more than 75% of players never go beyond the Mun

Guilty. 

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

I think this is in part because the Mun with all its craters is BY FAR the most interesting body in the entire Kerbal system, including Kerbin itself.

That's a reason to not FREQUENTLY go farther than Mun.

The reason most don't EVER do it is different and varied. Partially it's really, really hard to learn how, especially without mods or frequent use of the forums or YouTube tutorials, which I suspect less than 25% of all users ever even touch. Secondly, there is a large percentage of people who just don't like playing enough to continue once they (or even if they) get to Mun the first time.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

That's a reason to not FREQUENTLY go farther than Mun.

The reason most don't EVER do it is different and varied. Partially it's really, really hard to learn how, especially without mods or frequent use of the forums or YouTube tutorials, which I suspect less than 25% of all users ever even touch. Secondly, there is a large percentage of people who just don't like playing enough to continue once they (or even if they) get to Mun the first time.

It also takes a larger time commitment.
Building a nice Jool mission, even a quick get to, then land, then return will take 3 hours.  More if you mess-up rocket building or lack experience with KSP.  Even more without Delta-V readouts (now part of game) and a good dV map to calculate how much you need.
Going to the Mün can be done quickly under an hour or even less as you get more experienced

I remember designing a Dres Lander for a certain someone and making sure it would work took me a bit over 4 hours.  And it wasn't perfect by a long shot.
Game slowing down when building a large ship and Kraken eating it (Worse since version 1.4+) kinda makes me NOT want to go anywhere but Mün/Minmus anymore... except maybe Moho or Duna from time to times.

Looking forwards to KSP2 and their alleged optimizations, even for large motherships ! ;)