Your Ideal "Final Update" for KSP

I_Killed_Jeb

As we all await the long-considered KSP 2, I thought this would be a nice time for folks to discuss/dream/imagine what we are hoping the final release/update of OG KSP would look like. In some ways, even more than KSP 2 I'm excited about a stable, "final" codebase to be out there so that modders can do what they do best. Please share your thoughts/ideas/criticisms! As for me, I would love to see the following in the stock game-

1. Clouds
  2. A very basic/fun/toggle-able life support system, like Snacks
  3. Better wheel/friction physics
  4. Better landing legs (in fairness has been getting better with recent updates)
  5. Some additional functionality in the IVA view

What about you?

33 minutes ago, RocketSimplicity said:

No bugs.

End of discussion.

It may sound anticlimactic, but this would be the best thing for KSP1's legacy.  Any new content released into a "final update" has great potential for eternal bugs.

Having said that, I'm not writing off KSP1 yet, I still have a lot to do in the game before KSP2 comes out.

4 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

1. Clouds
  2. A very basic/fun/toggle-able life support system, like Snacks
  3. Better wheel/friction physics
  4. Better landing legs (in fairness has been getting better with recent updates)
  5. Some additional functionality in the IVA view

1. Clouds don't seem entirely necessary. KSP2 is going to have them and it would only degrade KSP1's performance.

2. Agreed

3. Agreed, I'd also add more wheels and landing gear.

4. I've really liked making landing legs with the Breaking Ground parts and the Grip pads, so I'd add stiffer joints and less seperating joints on Robotic parts.

5. Not really necessary on the condition that KSP2 will have this.

I'm still hoping they are going to revamp the remaining parts and add more 0.625m, 1.875m and maybe some 0.3125m parts.

Stop adding new features which, history has shown us, will always bring new bugs.  Spend two or three final updates getting the game as stable as possible.  Leave it to the modders to add the things which should have been there all along.  That is all.

12 hours ago, RocketSimplicity said:

No bugs.

End of discussion.

Pretty sure that isn't even possible with any type of complex software. You could spend a million hours hunting down and fixing bugs, but as soon as the build goes live a user will find a bug.

Plus sometimes a bug may accidentally get hardcoded into a game's source code early on making it near impossible to fix. I've seen other games where a known bug keeps showing up in subsequent sequels.

Edited by ShawnPhillips

1.3.1 already happened. Good for me.

However the default/automatic settings for wheels and legs ought to be customised properly for each part. The fixed gears can work, but just don't out of the box. There should also be a guide to their tweakables in KSPedia.

Would also be nice for radiators to matter; all of them are unlocked long before anything that needs them is, so for a long time they're left as a bit of an enigma for new players. Crew, scanners, experiments, anything producing or storing EC, and especially the mobile lab — all of these things should generate heat while running (constantly in the case of crew, and a 'lump sum' added to the ship based on data amount for experiments since they only operate momentarily). Deploying solar panels have back edges not ponted at the spacecraft to radiate heat away, so their own photovoltaic cells need not contribute to the heat of the craft overall. And to that end, it would also be cool if deploying solar panels actually worked as (bad) radiators, like the Gigantor's description suggests.

Edited by Guest

A Kerbal Alarm Clock integration, we already got Engineer and Percise Node, the holy trinity of utility mods needs to be complete.

A glow layer and clouds for atmospheric bodies

Improved ocean textures

Possible integration of ReStock into the vanilla game, knowing Nertea SQUAD would have to pay him, though

If ReStock isn't possible to integrate, at least better and realistic engine plumes

And of course, bug fixes

Edited by coyotesfrontier

No new features. Existing features fully bugfixed in stock. Failing that, a full source code release, in case KSP2 turns out to be a franchise-killing hype-train wreck.

All of requests in here can be handled by mods. After KSP1 ceases updating, mods will have an easier time keeping working. We don't need ReStock in stock, because ReStock is already there. What we need is an engine that lets ReStock run smoothly. If KSP2 fails to feature comprehensive modding capability (there are suggestions that plugins may become very limited), modders will keep the first one alive.

14 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Stop adding new features which, history has shown us, will always bring new bugs.  Spend two or three final updates getting the game as stable as possible.  Leave it to the modders to add the things which should have been there all along.  That is all.

Now that's about the best post I have read in a long time.

3 hours ago, razark said:

... KSP 1.8, KSP 1.9, KSP2 1.0.

In that system KSP 2 could be seen as version 2.0 of KSP. Of course it isn't, it is a different game, but the main point is that ending KSP on 1.9 and then launching KSP 2 would be so fitting.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:35 AM, klgraham1013 said:

I mostly agree, but that said a stock implementation of some features would be nice.

Namely atmospheric effects, kerbal alarm clock, and some kind of limited life support, among other potential features. Then a graphics overhaul, performance optimization (as much as possible given the limitations they’re subject to) and a great bug hunt. 

If that proves impractical making the game more stable will be a big improvement on its own.

At this point, any new features should be left to KSP2. KSP1 should stick to graphics overhaul, bug hunting, performance and stability. Mods can add new features to KSP1, often better than Squad can.

KSP1 on consoles was never a good idea. KSP2 might be, time will tell.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.